1250 GSA Trophy edition - Recalled today

You would think that dealers would do this when bikes went in for a service (aren't they supposed to at main dealers)? Obviously this is only the case if taken to a BMW dealer for a service but then again I bought mine second hand from a BMW dealer and it has an outstanding INFO recall as well as this latest recall so they clearly didn't bother updating it (they had changed the shaft drive though)

Regular services at the dealer, even with the bike under warranty, don't include software update. You have to ask for it and pay extra for them to do it. That is why some people never bother with it.
As I said previously, this recall came as a gift to all of us because all of our bikes will receive free software update.

Regular services at the dealer, even with the bike under warranty, don't include software update. You have to ask for it and pay extra for them to do it. That is why some people never bother with it.
As I said previously, this recall came as a gift to all of us because all of our bikes will receive free software update.

Thank you for explaining

Blessing in disguise then.

Mine done yesterday, recall update quite quick, unless like mine you’ve got SOS and in my case the bike a July22 reg needed updating as it was 2 versions out of date. Update took over 6 hours , but once done everything worked as it should. Version is now

What mechanic at my dealer told me is that the update duration depends on the last version installed on the bike. When I went to visit last time and talk about the recall, he was updating one GS that still had original version from 2019. It was on its 3rd hour of updating. As my bike has the version just one before this needed one, he said it could take just 20 minutes.

Attachments

• CB0DCAA5-AE09-450E-9504-971805664FEE.jpg
    CB0DCAA5-AE09-450E-9504-971805664FEE.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 496
I really don’t think the TFT dash software is anything to do with it, mine was updated to 023-011-060 back in October 22 during its service after I reported poor telephone connectivity, low volume and random disconnects. It resolved my telephone problems but the current software update to do with preservation of the gearbox must be elsewhere in the system.

As I was informed by the dealer, they launch 2 versions per year. As the 023-011-060 has already been launched before the recall, they simply included the recall fix in that version so they're going to install it again. As simple as that. And there is no TFT software, gearbox software, engine software... There is only, "the software" and one version take care of all of the components on the bike, TFT included.

Just been at the dealer today and spoke directly to the mechanic that I go along with very well. He showed me the bulletin in written form but said could not make me a copy because he's not allowed to. But he let me read it.
It explains very well what it was all of this about. It is traction control software update. So if you go offroad and have traction control off and rear wheel loose the contact with the ground, it will accelerate a lot if you're on accelerator. Then when the wheel makes a contact with a ground, the speed of the wheel is abruptly changed and it put a lot of stress on the drive shaft, U-joints, final drive and even a gear box. In that ocasion, one of those parts may brake.
The software update is to the last version that came out last November. That (November) update makes sure if the wheel lose contact with the ground, it will not accelerate.
The bikes that already had the November update are not included in this recall.
My bike was already booked for mid February for its annual service, so he said not to worry about anything and the update will be done at the service. While we were talking, he showed me one 2019 1250 GSA that was performing the update as it came in today for its annual service. He said it will take 4 hours to update as that particular bike had the firmware version from 2019. The older the version, the longer it takes to update. The bikes with newer versions can take less then one hour. While the bike is updating the software, the mechanics are not supposed to perform any other service on the bike. So they will make the annual service first and after they're done, they will connect the bike to update the software version.
Also, he said, all the 1250 engines on GS/GSA need this update, no metter the production date, except (as I said) the ones with software from November 2022 (that is the latest version). He said, the software updates come out twice a year, November and May every year.
So, our bikes will take this update either in scheduled service or will be called by letter. Because of that, I suggest that owners with second-hand bikes purchased privately and do their own service, call the dealer and check for the recall and book the bike. That is in case the BMW dealers don't have your name and phone number.
Finally, we can look at the bright side of this recall: all 1250 GS/GSA bikes will get the latest software version for free.

Thanks for the explanation. My 2021 GSA goes in for a service in April and they will perform the software update as well as a check to the drive shaft? Seems to fall in line with your explanation

I'm a software test engineer.....Worked on both Military and Civil Aviation software some of which is very secure and very complex.

And its utterly barmy that BMW 1. the software takes so long to install (people talk of hours) and 2. why it can't be done at home via bluetooth or the OBD2 connector.

BMW have paid someone to come to my house and collect my bike (40 mins drive) take it away for two days then bring it back when the person (who then went on to collect another bike) could do it from the van.

The cost must be HUGE to them.

I'm a software test engineer.....Worked on both Military and Civil Aviation software some of which is very secure and very complex.

And its utterly barmy that BMW 1. the software takes so long to install (people talk of hours) and 2. why it can't be done at home via bluetooth or the OBD2 connector.

BMW have paid someone to come to my house and collect my bike (40 mins drive) take it away for two days then bring it back when the person (who then went on to collect another bike) could do it from the van.

It’s no problem really. They just pass the cost back to the customer when buying the next bike.

Other than the update to the gearbox software has anyone noticed any difference to the TFT operation with the latest update?

Other than the update to the gearbox software has anyone noticed any difference to the TFT operation with the latest update?

It all depends on previous version you've had on your bike. For example, mine was updated just 6 months ago, so I didn't find any difference to this last one. But when updated to previous version (6 month ago), noticed faster TFT bootup and more stable connection with my Cardo comms.

And especially as I can update the software on my BMW car on the driveway over wifi

Back
Top Bottom