Thread: Young (car) driver insurance - best route?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Question Young (car) driver insurance - best route?

Daughter passed her test this afternoon, which is clearly amazing but presents the much feared insurance problem.

Up until now, we've been insuring her as a learner with Veygo - seems an affordable way where we were able to get 4 weeks of insurance at a time for about £45.

Hoping to learn from any recent experience in this area. What is the best approach these days? used to be to get the youngster insured as a named driver on a parents policy but that was 20 years ago and I don't feel its the right thing to do.

I've searched for recent threads but saw nothing in the last couple of years so thought I'd ask.

The car in question is registered in a parents name and is a 2008 Fiesta 1.5 Diesel. Does the not being the owner also influence options?

most insurers expect the car to be registered to the policyholder

some cars attract much higher premiums despite looking similar on paper - largely based on which models are favoured by teenage lads to parade around outside McDonalds. By trial and error, a few years ago my teenage nephew bought a 1 litre Clio as it was half the price to insure compared to a 1 litre Corsa. Get quotes for the Fiesta but also compare to other models of similar value as a swap might be more economic and less embarrassing than driving a nasty diesel.

add a lower risk adult to the youngster's policy (the reverse of what you suggested above) as this usually lowers the risk. Female best. This even worked for me in my late 50s when I added my older sister! Premium dropped £20. I've binned her now as she has become a points magnet.

Some policies come with a spy in the cab. Try to avoid unless it becomes mandatory for her risk level. Few of the promised benefits emerge in reality.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.

Strawberry fields ... forever Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Tesco was vfm when we were in that position; bite the bullet and get the car registered in her name otherwise she can't accrue no-claims in her own right. The other option was brand new cars that included insurance, but I'm not sure if that's still a thing.
    Paul

As an update to this. I went with a company called Marmalade > https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/young-driver-insurance

They specifically allow for the car to be in a parent / grandparents name. The young person can only clock up less than 50% of the mileage. No curfew times. Needs a telematics box. Does earn no claims bonus. No risk to parents no claims.

Price was decent and they do a 0% monthly payment options.

They also do a pay as you go style, but with the mileage rates you need to pay I worked out that she would be limited to about 250 miles per month for the same cost of the annual (with 10k miles limit) option.

Thanks, useful thread.

You will be asked who is the main driver, so be careful about "adding" your daughter as an additional driver if it's going to be her and you don't declare that when you take out the policy.

When my daughter was in the same position she took out a policy with direct line and we added our cars on different policies when they were due for renewal.

If that's not an option/does not reduce her premium adding yourself and your wife as named drivers should reduce the premium too.

Quote Originally Posted by littleade View Post
    You will be asked who is the main driver, so be careful about "adding" your daughter as an additional driver if it's going to be her and you don't declare that when you take out the policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by tPIC View Post
    The young person can only clock up less than 50% of the mileage.

Think it is covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Davey B View Post
    Think it is covered.
    Missed that

..and they police it by mandating that the young driver has to pair their phone on every drive with the telematics device. If they don’t do and are involved in an accident - not covered, policy cancelled - bad times ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by tPIC View Post
    ..and they police it by mandating that the young driver has to pair their phone on every drive with the telematics device. If they don’t do and are involved in an accident - not covered, policy cancelled - bad times ahead.
    a ran one of these as an experiment from Hastings Direct. It is very difficult to keep the worm on the map in the green.
    This space deliberately left blank as the author writes too much pretentious bollocks as it is.