Pannier repair

Barbs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know anyone who repairs metal panniers (or ideas on how to do it). Long story short - i foolishly didnt ensure the sidestand was fully engaged and watched as my bike rolled over onto its side. Thankfully no damage to the bike, but the pannier which took the weight of the bike is now somewhat out of shape - i assumed it would be fairly simple to push it back into shape using brute force. Unfortunately not, so now hoping for any ideas.

Many thanks,

Barbs

are they the BMW standard Alu ones?
I think it might be tricky as my understanding trying to bend back might result in a split along or close to the weld line. but I'm no expert...

They're a nightmare. I had to skip a £500 Metal mule for the same reason. I even sent it back to them to try. They couldn't do it either. I have a hydraulic press, ratchet straps etc and it just springs back to wonky.

What you really need to do is over-stress it in the exact opposite direction. Almost impossible. You would need a big press etc.

Or just bash it with a mallet until you get close. Any splits can be welded.

There is a reason most people are moving back to soft bags or plastic. Not only are they heavy, have the aerodynamics of a house, as you've found, they are almost impossible to repair or put back to shape after a tumble.

What effect would the application of heat have upon aluminium?

Thanks for the responses, much as i feared - will need to look at some alternatives.

A couple of pics attached (hopefully) in case anyone has ideas.

Regards,

Barbs

Attachments

• Pannier damage 2.jpg
    Pannier damage 2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Pannier damage.jpg
    Pannier damage.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 120
I was expecting to see something beaten up. Have some wheatabix and force the bastard into submission

Can you not still shut the lid doesn’t look too much out of shape get the lid on and heat the place where it’s deformed.might burn off the black Finnish though .think I saw a series about doing a Land Rover alu frame that needed a door frame knocking back to shape he coated the frame in soap and when the soap started to bubble clamped the frame and straightened it .
There must be a YouTube video regarding this issue .
Failin that a car body shop panelbeater could do this type of work.

This reminds me when back in school we made aluminium ash trays. Coated them with soap and when it turned black it was the right temperature to shape.

As mentioned, I thought I would be seeing something mangled.
Vern would be your best bet.

Can you not still shut the lid doesn’t look too much out of shape get the lid on and heat the place where it’s deformed.might burn off the black Finnish though .think I saw a series about doing a Land Rover alu frame that needed a door frame knocking back to shape he coated the frame in soap and when the soap started to bubble clamped the frame and straightened it .
There must be a YouTube video regarding this issue .
Failin that a car body shop panelbeater could do this type of work.

That looks like the hinges are bent. Just bend it back. The very worst you can do is feck it completely then you just buy another one.

Thanks for the responses and some good ideas - more "gentle" persuasion required - a (and weetabix).

Regards.

Is that nothing more than a bent hinge? The carcass of the pannier doesn’t look bashed in.

Is that nothing more than a bent hinge? The carcass of the pannier doesn’t look bashed in.

No, carcass of pannier is definitely out of shape - i have spent the day utilising my dainty 17 stone trying to re-shape it, but not really seemed to make any difference.

Panniers are too springy. They have to be over stressed the opposite direction
It takes a lot of force. Alloy aneals at around 80-100c IIRC. But knowing where to heat and if you can get it all got enough is the problem.

Back
Top Bottom