Camp site recommendations - Ile de Re

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I might be able to find 4 days of leave after Easter and fancy seeing the Ile de Re. I have no aspirations other than a chance to stretch the Guzzi's legs, good seafood, beer and a bit of headspace.

Please, can anyone recommend a decent camp site on the Ile de Re, preferably within walking distance of a town?

Cheers! In fact, a votre sante!

Was going to say "Have you tried archies campings?" But that seems now to be only an App. I have all the campsites upstairs on basecamp and on my gps. Ill have a look tomorrow for some ideas for you. Do you have gps you use? I could ping you the file to import as POI's. Or Wapping will be here soon enough to chastise your searching...

Or Wapping will be here soon enough to chastise your searching...

Ha! Yes I am sure.

I don't in fact use GPS, tend to sellotape some scribbled directions onto my tank, but the Ile de Re isn't big so if your GPS could identify some suitable spots I'll just get in touch with them beforehand and then print off a map of the islands with the locations marked.

If anyone has personal experience of any sites though, and can make recommendations, that would also be very helpful.

It’s certainly got one or two to chose from:

f16210fc5aeda6b267e62df35281fe5e.png

640b2f51d2078b8c96d66593d3b4f4f6.png

Incredible, isn't it?

The whole island must be one big nylon fire risk. :D

OK if no-one has any personal recommendations I'll go and recce a couple and report back for future site reference.

I wonder whether anywhere has a greater concentration of campsites per sq km?

The northern part of the Adriatic coast of Italy seemed to have plenty of choices when we visited but around the VenetianLagoon it had more midges than the west coast of Scotland on a bad day.

Never mind the camping; where's the bloody Island; and how do you get to it?

Just off the coast by La Rochelle, by road.

That's the one. I believe the villages are very quaint, it has some quieter beaches and some that are wild enough to attract surfers... and the seafood restaurants are by repute very good.

Oh, and it seems to have more than its fair share of camp sites!

When I visited the island there were hardly any camp sites and it was lovely and quiet. Me and the wife hired a couple of push bikes and cycled most of it.
Mind you, this was in the early 80s, before they built the bridge and the only way to get there was by ferry or private boat.
The Oil Tanker I was on was berthed in La Rochelle harbour, it was only a short walk to the ferry terminal.
I believe since building the bridge it is mobbed!

Indeed it is mobbed, stayed on a site with the MoHo, 2 years ago, much preferred island of Oléron, bit further up the coast.

Last time I was in La Rochelle (1985) they hadn’t built the bridge :)

We were there a few years ago, the mozzies were so bad you couldn't sit outside in the evening. You had to find a bar with screens.

Add to that how busy and expensive it was and we left after one night. It may well be fine in the spring though.

I've wandered down that coast a couple of times and not found the good spots yet, must try harder.

Back
Top Bottom