Long Distance Tour (GS1250 or an HD Road King)

That's a lovely bike there, Doc. Looks very comfortable too.

Yes, my GS is a superb thing and it's been pretty good all-round. Perhaps my description of it being a tad fragile was over-egging the pudding. It's had some strange (repeat) software issues that have required some resolving (by the dealer) and it's raised my eyebrow on whether it'd be niggly and problematic on a longer journey. And some of the plastic/polymer parts have broken or been marked by small impacts (and been renewed). But overall, it's fine.

The "quality of roads" thing is a good point... it's very variable across Europe as a whole. As an example, in Sicily there's a brilliant smooth road from Catania down to Syracuse and then it just runs out and the roads go rutted and rough without much notice. But I would rather ride either bike in mainland Europe than our local horrible roads that haven't been maintained for a decade. A few weeks ago I had to ride through a flooded bit of country road on the GS and found out later that there were big ruts in it after it had dried out... luckily I had avoided them. Dread to think what would have happened on a Road King.

But as Toddmeister said, the HD just seems more "comfortable" and ploddy and less frenetic than the GS. I get bored and tend to start hoon a bit on the GS which I'm really too old now to be doing. The Harley feels more relaxed over distance, odd as it might seem. It gives you an excuse to slow down and take it steady. Just a personal and non scientific perspective.

Keep the GS and buy a Royal Enfield. A very different bike to the GS and to the HD but made for simple A to B riding. That they are very much cheaper than either a GS or a HD is just an additional bonus.

I toured a lot on GS / GSA motorcycles *, right up until they brought out the awful engine ** on the WC variants. These jaunts included, lots of Western Europe and twice to Morocco / one jaunt to Istanbul. So unimpressed was I with the WC engine, that I bought the 1600. Like the GS / GSA I have taken that down some pretty ‘unsuitable’ or less than ideal roads.

I bought the RE Himalayan, simply as it is very different to the 1600, obviously. At 25 bhp wringing its neck, it is made for simply cruising along and planing overtakes, rather than just relying on 120 bhp plus to blast you past. Simple, easy, cheap motorcycling. What else might anyone want?

* There again, I also toured on a HP2 Sport, an HP4 and assorted other apparently ‘unsuitable’ bikes before those. Which only goes to prove that you really can ‘Do it’ on anything.

** An opposed twin, that pretends to be an across the frame four, in a bike pretending to be a sports bike. I do though like the engine in the RT.

Toured Scotland a but last year on my Roadglide.

Toured Spain and Portugal on the GSA too.

Both are brilliant bikes but the GSA has transformed into a KTM so this year’s tour will be on the Roadglide I think.

Really please with it

No it wasn’t….even cutting the rear cylinder doesn’t stop boiling your bollox on a real hot day…��

I rode across the States through 110 degree plus temps. Yes, hot without a doubt but my nuts stayed relatively cool compared to the top half :)

Royal Enfield are coming on leaps and bounds. Unbelievable value and what looks like a great future.

Having long distance toured on GS's and GSA's (and three K75s), the GSA was the best allrounder and I could indulge in not having to refuel as often as others and having a great road-hugging bike that seemed more or less impervious to high crosswinds, variable roadsurfaces and bad weather. Just heavy to move around when stopped and a tad higher off the ground than most Harleys (if I get another GSA it'll be a factory lowered one for my old legs which are rapidly shortening as I approach 70).

I toured on a Street Bob (not great but better with narrow beach bars) and a "springer" Harley Crossbones (OK, but sprung saddles not great for touring really). A test ride of a Road King was a revelation by comparison. I'm surprised more people don't have one. And like a GSA, it feels like could reliably and comfortably take you anywhere at all if you had allrounder tyres.

I owned a Panigale a few years ago and considered touring on it... I had it all figured out until I realised I'd probably gone slightly mad :)

I get bored and tend to start hoon a bit on the GS which I'm really too old now to be doing. The Harley feels more relaxed over distance, odd as it might seem. It gives you an excuse to slow down and take it steady. Just a personal and non scientific perspective.

Kill two birds with one stone. Combine the handling prowess of a GS and "let's take it easy on this tour" vibe of the HD and go for an RT.

Pipe and slippers at the ready.........

Main problem with Indian is lack of dealerships in UK.

They will get better coverage I hope, or they won’t sell many here

Main problem with Indian is lack of dealerships in UK.

They will get better coverage I hope, or they won’t sell many here

And the stupid mudguards - and the price..

Thanks, all.

Some great advice and experience-sharing that you don't find easily elsewhere. Much appreciated. :okay

I loved riding down through France on my Electra Glide it was perfect….. trouble is - when I got to the Pyrenees I wanted my GSA………

Sitting here thinking how very nice it would be on either....!

Do you enjoy sitting on the highways zipping along to get somewhere interesting fast? Take the GS.

Do you enjoy sticking a baguette in your pocket, taking the B roads and chugging along to see what life brings you? Take the Harley.

Strangely, and maybe Toddy's right about advancing years, I used to take the highways and make miles every time, but now the Harley sounds really appealing.

Back
Top Bottom