BMW/Garmin Nav 5 question on use...

Karl P

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My experience of Garmin sat navs is on pedal bikes eg Edge 820.
With the Nav 5 I can copy a gpx file into Basecamp (eg from Simon Weir's site) and load it on to the device, what has surprised me is that with these routes the device wants to navigate me to the start point and not just let me ride from where I intersect the route (like the Edge 820 would).
Is there something I need to change on the device?

I'm aware I can change the start point in Basecamp.

Advice appreciated.
Karl.

Just ride (navigate yourself) onto the route and start running the route from there. In other words, just do what the earlier models instructed, when you heard: “Please navigate to highlighted route”.

There are other ways, too. One would be to summon up the route and insert a point along it, near enough where you want to join it. You’ll then be given that point as a choice to be directed to, the remaining balance of the original route will run normally thereafter. How the device directs you to your inserted point will, of course, depend on the personal settings you have given your device. For example, if you have instructed the device to avoid motorways, it will do just that; even if the fastest most logical way to get onto Simon Weir’s route at your chosen point, is for you to take the motorway.

The rule i use when riding routes is to make sure the start point is a mile or so from the house. When the route loads up it gives me the option of driving to the start of the route or the end ( i dont use waypoints only shaping points as for me at least its easier). If i'm at the house when starting the route i go to the start of the route, if i'm actually somewhere on the route already i just use the end. I learned early on that if i didn't use this method the navigator recalculates and cocks up the route.

Back
Top Bottom