air bed for camping

trybedoor

Reaction score
Is anyone using an air bed for camping? I have a fairly beat up body and need something comfy for camping.
What are you using and how how do you pack down?

I hate camping, but have decided I need a tent and comfy mattress for a couple of events this year. Given the research (and at a couple of useful threads on this site) I purchased an Exped Megamat 10 LXW.

Not the lightest, but probably about the best from what I could tell. Do a search on here for sleeping matts and you will find a couple of threads.

I see Exped have increased their range. Good quality kit and great customer service. If you do go for an Exped, just remember to get one with a pump bag, it makes life so much easier.

I would seriously consider a pool lilo, VASTLY cheaper and we've all chilled on one for hours on holiday.

Cheap and easy to replace and blow up etc

My local Exped retailer tells me the UK distributor (Lyon Equipment) will start importing the full range of Exped products from around March/April. Currently they import a limited range they/Exped deemed most suitable for the uk yet Exped would fulfil online orders from Switzerland to customers or retailers directly or via A.N.other EU based distributor. Lyon equipment wanted a slice of that action so it was agreed the whole range will properly be available in the uk. It’s worth browsing Exped.com and selecting your region as EU or Switzerland or somewhere not uk to see their full range.

I tried a blow up air bed

apart from it going down , they aren't very warm lol

ive got a fat airic which is good, but i think a camp bed will be my next option

R rating, R rating, R rating.

I find that if I stay warm then sleep comes much more easily.
Thermosest make excellent sleep mats. My Thermolite has served me very well and packs down small enough for hiking and motorcycle travel.

As for the pool lilo…..I’d leave that to those not so keen on te chance of a comfortable nights rest.

As Santa has just pointed out; air beds aren't very warm; the cold coming up from the floor chills the air inside more than your body can warm it; i use a thermarest that i've had for years; works for me.

I've got an Exped DownMat that works well for me. Make sure to get a decent sleeping bag as well.

I have an Exped MegaMat 10 LXW and a Downmat 9 LW. The MegaMat is superb and one of the best airbeds available for keeping the cold out ( as OnHellas says, R rating ) BUT the pack size is huge! Great if you’re in a car but no good whatsoever on a bike. Now the Downmat 9 is almost as good as the MegaMat 10 for keeping the cold out but packs down pretty small. It’s what I use on my bike camping trips.
As John RTW mentions, get a pump sack to pump it up with. You don't EVER use your mouth to blow a Downmat up because you get the down damp. Or do what I did and get yourself the Exped Widget! :thumb2. It’s a light as well as a tiny pump.
I also have a Thermarest Neo Air which packs down tiny but isn’t as comfortable, useless at keeping the cold out and makes so much “ crinkly “ noise I never use it anymore. I really should sell it. I don’t know if the newer ones are any better. :nenau I’m guessing they are.

I also have a Thermarest Neo Air which packs down tiny but isn’t as comfortable, useless at keeping the cold out and makes so much “ crinkly “ noise I never use it anymore. I really should sell it…..

After that less than enamouring sales pitch, I’d wait a week or two before advertising it on UKGSer :D

After that less than enamouring sales pitch, I’d wait a week or two before advertising it on UKGSer :D

Although there are those on here that disagree with everything just because it’s what they do so…..maybe it would sell straight away?

i tried the air beds, then when that failed i presumed i wasnt spending enough to get a decent one... so splashed the cash.

still crap lol
if your built like a racing snake you might be ok.
but if your above 13 stone your gonna squeeze the air out and be cold as already said.

Solution....
Get pissed up before bedtime...
stop drinking beers at least 2 hours before bedtime though... or you will be up all night peeing!!
drink shorts for your final 2 hours and go to bed in a drunken coma!!

its the only way folks :D

Having read quite a few favourable test reports, I’ve recently bought a Big Agnes Q core Insulated de luxe. Comes in 2 lengths and 2 widths. I went for the regular length wide. It’ll be April before I’ll know if it was worth the expense though.

At the other extreme from the Megamat is the Balloon Bed. Yup made from balloons. Adventure racer kit. 100grams and fist sized when packed. Perfect. 🙄

http://www.balloonbed.com/

The balloon pillow looks like it could have more than one use.....
pillows300ii.jpg

Just an update to this thread

I recently bought THIS airbed for £46
i went camping in wales at weekend and have to say i was impressed!
it stayed up all night from 5pm when i blew it up and was comfy.
I sleep on my side and my hips didn't hit the floor and end up aching like i've previously had and i'm 17 stone
it also packs very small

so it gets a :thumb from me

Also i bought THIS to blow it up.
again impressive, for such a little pump and it IS little.
Blows the airbed up fast, recommended :)

Just an update to this thread

I recently bought THIS airbed for £46
i went camping in wales at weekend and have to say i was impressed!
it stayed up all night from 5pm when i blew it up and was comfy.
I sleep on my side and my hips didn't hit the floor and end up aching like i've previously had and i'm 17 stone
it also packs very small

so it gets a :thumb from me

Also i bought THIS to blow it up.
again impressive, for such a little pump and it IS little.
Blows the airbed up fast, recommended :)

I have both of those as well. For the price, they are hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom