To wash or not wash Rally Jacket liner

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As per title, as the Goretex liner comes out any point in washing it, a mere 17 years old I think :)

Often wash the out jacket, well every 2 years, but never the Goretex. It's a bit sweaty and I'm thinking maybe I should, using Nkwax tech wash stuff

...and any point in using the tech proof stuff on the liner? Cannot see the point if it's the Goretex which is meant to be waterproof in itself?

Good idea or not ?

Last edited:
Simply YES
If you think of the Goretex as a mesh, the holes fill up with dirt, sweat and other nasties.
Tech wash at least every 2-3 years

This ^^^^^^^^^^ Gore tex relie on micropores to allow moisture vapour out. If they are blocked with dirt, salt perspiration etc the liner will turn into a plastic bag. Tech wash is fine , just follow the temperature recommendations, if in doubt wash at 30 deg C.

Dont use an additional proofer, it doesnt need it, the liner works as a drop liner. The outer jkt needs the proofer to allow rain to bead up and roll off.

Thanks folks, as I thought it might be, but somehow always manage to doubt! Good to have confirmation :D

Interesting point with the tumble drying.
Both my wife and I have Rev-It! all weather kit. Both sets are three layer laminated material. Mine is GoreTex and the cleaning instructions say tumble dry. Mrs Ted’s ladies kit has the Rev-It! ‘own brand’ not GoreTex waterproof layer and the cleaning instructions say hang it on the washing line. No idea what the difference between them is but both sets get washed with the Tech wash cleaning stuff and then the Tech wash re-proofer, usually on the washing machine quick program, once or twice a year and they have remained waterproof for a significant number of years and many thousands of miles. So whatever it is that the Tech wash is, it definitely works (and you have a clean jacket as well).

Every day is a skool day.

Isn’t tech wash - and a lot of these products - comprising similar properties to upva glue chemicals but without the stickiness??

J

I use Nikwax Tech Wash to get a garment clean and TX.Direct to help with waterproofing. I recently washed my hiking jacket and liner in Tech Wash but only used the TX.Direct on the outer waterproof jacket. The TX.Direct did feel and even smell a lot like PVA. Nikwax link here

Every day is a skool day.

Isn’t tech wash - and a lot of these products - comprising similar properties to upva glue chemicals but without the stickiness??

J

tech wash is just a soap based product - a liquid version of the soap flakes used before biological detergents came along. Detergents are not good for Goretex or similar products

TX Direct is the product that reproofs the outer fabric treated with DWR https://www.gore-tex.com/en_uk/support/care/dwr

Interesting point with the tumble drying.
Both my wife and I have Rev-It! all weather kit. Both sets are three layer laminated material. Mine is GoreTex and the cleaning instructions say tumble dry. Mrs Ted’s ladies kit has the Rev-It! ‘own brand’ not GoreTex waterproof layer and the cleaning instructions say hang it on the washing line. No idea what the difference between them is but both sets get washed with the Tech wash cleaning stuff and then the Tech wash re-proofer, usually on the washing machine quick program, once or twice a year and they have remained waterproof for a significant number of years and many thousands of miles. So whatever it is that the Tech wash is, it definitely works (and you have a clean jacket as well).

if you hang the jacket outside on a sunny day then the result will be much the same as using the tumble dryer, especially if the garment is black - apparently heat increases the efficiency of the bonding between the fresh DWR treatment and the fabric https://www.gore-tex.com/en_uk/support/care/dwr - Garmin suggest using an iron as an alternative.

Back
Top Bottom