Camping (wild or official) advice please

Wapping

Reaction score
A friend of mine, Paula, who until just a few years ago had never been abroad on a motorcycle (before coming on a Wapping Wander for beginners) is off to Morocco for two weeks with a friend and his wife in early September.

To hold the cost down, they plan on:

A. Mostly regular tarmac.

B. A bit of light off-road but no full on off-piste. In a way, I guess little different to the excellent Steptoe Dashes we enjoyed.

C. Where possible and practicable, camping.

She is looking for some realistic advice on what is possible on the camping front please.

I've camped throughout Morocco on two occasions (albeit some time ago). We had no difficulty, just choose a spot, if there's a habitation nearby go and ask permission, if not, crack on. FWIW all petrol stations have toilets, some are disgusting. As you set up the tent, a small child will appear, give them a smile and a pencil; they will offer ganja in return. If they venture into Western Sahara do not camp other than in official campsites; it is the third largest minefield in the world, the small cairns of rock at the roadside indicate the swept area.

Top Tip #1: Speaking French, will lead to requests for 'un cadeau', even if fluent, feign ignorance and give them a pencil.

Years since I was there but as said, if near habitation ask in a cafe. Otherwise go at least a mile after habitation, start looking an hour before sunset, pull off the road and get behind a sand dune or trees or rocks so you're not too open.

Someone will come along being curious but then you should have peace as the sun goes down.

Wild camping is no problem, there are not many fences. No matter how far away from habitation you think you are there will always be someone appearing after a while. Often a shepherd. These people are very poor. It is good to make the contact, have a conversation if you can and offer them something, anything, can of coke or packet of biscuits. I never tried to offer a pencil. Still makes for a very cheap pitch.

We gave a shepherd a small multifunction LCD clock; I often wondered what he thought of it :nenau

We gave a shepherd a small multifunction LCD clock; I often wondered what he thought of it :nenau

Spooky. I gave a Russian, at the far end of the Transsiberian Express line, a digital watch that I somehow got in an Esso petrol station in Kilburn. Like you, I have always wondered what he did when the battery went flat.

Spooky. I gave a Russian, at the far end of the Transsiberian Express line, a digital watch that I somehow got in an Esso petrol station in Kilburn. Like you, I have always wondered what he did when the battery went flat.

I gave a Casio to a beggar in Tehran, he was delighted but later I couldn't remember if I'd turned off the 0500 daily alarm.

Back
Top Bottom