It is very annoying….

Wapping

Reaction score
That Germany (like China, North Korea and Iran) does not allow the Google street view cameras in.

It apparently infringes on their privacy laws. I suspect the law is nothing more than a hangover from the post / Cold War period.

It also blows a country wide hole in the conspiracy theory that Google control every government.

They used to ;)

I used to use Google SV to wander round certain towns. i used to visit

but as you say something changed, and yes it's a PITA

German law allows spot photographs to be linked to Google maps and always has. For example, I could take pictures of anything from the Brandenburg Gate, thro’ to Leipzig town hall, to a canal boat on the Rhine, all quite legally and post the images into Google maps. What the law does not allow is the roving Google cars to undertake the mass, country wide, picture recording of the entire road system as they do in the UK and just about everywhere else on the face of the Earth.

Besides pouring cold water on the global conspiracy theory, it also buggers the oft spouted view that the EU does away with all sovereign nations’ laws.

Besides pouring cold water on the global conspiracy theory, it also buggers the oft spouted view that the EU does away with all sovereign nations’ laws.

...............According to some bloke in the Pub, its one law for them and one law for us. :D

That Germany (like China, North Korea and Iran) does not allow the Google street view cameras in.

I always thought it was good that they don't allow it.
Makes you go and look for yourself. You know, like people used to.

I don't see the point of looking at everywhere you want to go. Live a little. Take a risk.

I don't see the point of looking at everywhere you want to go. Live a little. Take a risk.

when you organise trips for others like Wapping and I, it's good to view a hotel or point of interest to see if there is space to accommodate a fleet of motorcycles.

some of my travellers are getting on a bit, so I also like to look at the proximity of eateries, attractions etc, and the terrain in between e.g. it would be fine for my group to stay in a hotel in Vianden by the river near plenty of bars and restaurants, but a few in the party would not make it up the hill to the castle on foot.

Ah.
In the days of yaw, you would have gone and got first hand knowledge :D

Maybe, if I was running a business but before the internet took off, I was reliant on contacting local tourist boards for lists of hotels until the Smoothound website got properly going in the late 90s.

Seems it is still a thing https://www.smoothhound.co.uk/france/arras.html but click the links and you get referred to booking.com

Well Streetview is progress and we can't do as we did in those days of yore in Europe.

As wessie has pointed out its nice to be able to get an image and locale of where you think you may have a stopover.

I did this for a new Etap hotel in Berlin (when Streetview was available) and it saved a lot of angst as we found it straightaway.

when you organise trips for others like Wapping and I, it's good to view a hotel or point of interest to see if there is space to accommodate a fleet of motorcycles.

some of my travellers are getting on a bit, so I also like to look at the proximity of eateries, attractions etc, and the terrain in between e.g. it would be fine for my group to stay in a hotel in Vianden by the river near plenty of bars and restaurants, but a few in the party would not make it up the hill to the castle on foot.

What Wessie said....It's handy for organising

Well Streetview is progress and we can't do as we did in those days of yore in Europe.

It must be me then. Old-fashioned.
Mostly, the only thing I plan a final destination and that doesn't always happen.
How I get there is open to all sorts of deviations and stops happen when I feel I have had enough for the day, how the time is going or its just a nice place to be.

Well isn't it strange that when I inserted Google street views, generated through the MyRoute app, to give bods an idea of the roads ridden, they thought it jolly good.

Well isn't it strange that when I inserted Google street views, generated through the MyRoute app, to give bods an idea of the roads ridden

Sorry, I don't get it.
It should be a new experience, not reliving a virtual tour.

The first time I rode over the Gran St Bernadino pass in 1970 or 71 on my Guzzi Le Mans, 2 up with camping gear, most would think they had stumbled upon an off-road section. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it like that now, but what has happened to peoples sense of adventure and going into the unknown?

You seem to confuse (deliberately or by accident) trying to make information shared with people to make a story more interesting (bods like pictures) with an assumed reluctance to go to see for oneself. The world of course stands in awe of your crossing of the Gran St Bernadino pass in just your underpants in the early 70's :D The tales in the pub on your return must have rivalled only those of Marco Polo on his return to Venice from the edge of China.... assuming of course he (Marco Polo, that is) didn't just make it all up.

I am not quite sure where your apparent “Nobody must ever look at anything” fits in with guide books or even with the very popular German touring magazines, who of course illustrate their articles with pictures, if only to give the readership an idea of what the area might be like?

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom