DWA warning on dash - help needed

r1200rt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2007 R1200RT

I have a "DWA" warning on the dash. I understand this means the alarm battery is low?

Can anyone tell me where this battery is? And what kind I need to buy to replace it?

On the GS the alarm is under the luggage rack attached to the mudguard. Very easy to do just takes time. I found a link on google to help and bought the batteries from Amazon. I will dig out the links.
https://touron2wheels.wordpress.com/2016/04/23/replacing-batteries-of-bmw-r1200rt-90-years-anniversary-edition-alarm/

It’s easy enough to DIY.

Once you have unscrewed the lid off the Alarm module, the two CR123A lithium batteries can be swopped out with replacements.

Attachments

• 6685AE0A-AB50-4E91-860C-010877F9BF6C.jpg
    6685AE0A-AB50-4E91-860C-010877F9BF6C.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 314
2007 R1200RT

I have a "DWA" warning on the dash. I understand this means the alarm battery is low?

Can anyone tell me where this battery is? And what kind I need to buy to replace it?

ahh - which error - mine just started the immobiliser rubbish and refused to crank twice in recent cold weather

needs the immobiliser ring antenna changing - don't buy from the 6 million ads on ebay from Lithuania for 60 quid, your local BMW bike dealer sells them for 42 quid - they laughed their heads off joking how "they have never sold one of them before"

need to drill out two stupid bolts under the steering lock - I bought the new ones, but they are a stupid design you can't do up without a special tool - I'm going to just fit std cap heads. If they can be bothered to look and undo it to steal the bike they are going to steal it anyway

part number 61 357 705 247

just says this when i turn the ignition on.

the bike starts and runs ok

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 263
just says this when i turn the ignition on.

the bike starts and runs ok

As said above. Replaced the batteries in mine years ago when I had dwa on the dash on my 06 GSA. A bit fiddly to get to the module under the panel under the rear seat with all the pannier rails on the GSA. Got there in the end and has been fine since
.funnily enough I started a thread 4 years ago yesterday when mine needed doing.
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/501535-DWALO-ON-DASH

ahh - which error - mine just started the immobiliser rubbish and refused to crank twice in recent cold weather

needs the immobiliser ring antenna changing - don't buy from the 6 million ads on ebay from Lithuania for 60 quid, your local BMW bike dealer sells them for 42 quid - they laughed their heads off joking how "they have never sold one of them before"

need to drill out two stupid bolts under the steering lock - I bought the new ones, but they are a stupid design you can't do up without a special tool - I'm going to just fit std cap heads. If they can be bothered to look and undo it to steal the bike they are going to steal it anyway

part number 61 357 705 247

I remember the joy (!) of drilling the heads off those custom bolts on my GS at the time.
As they were in with much thread lock I had a hard job removing the studs with mini mole grips.

Like you, I fitted the new one with normal cap screws in a few minutes.

I remember the joy (!) of drilling the heads off those custom bolts on my GS at the time.
As they were in with much thread lock I had a hard job removing the studs with mini mole grips.

Like you, I fitted the new one with normal cap screws in a few minutes.

I do this job about once a month on average on both 1150 and 1200 models. With a 4mm drill bit. Drill about 6mm deep then hit an appropriate sized torque bit into hole and unscrew like a normal bolt.

drilling bolts out? don't these bolts come off normally?

Let us not confuse the Immobiliser system with the Alarm system. They are not the same.

All R1200 bikes come with the immobiliser system as standard. The Alarm system is optional.

The OP is talking about the Alarm system.

oh, bugger that then, i will leave the batteries to go flat

:blast

Stop! Stop! Stop!

The Alarm module where the batteries are located is under the pillion seat cover. The Alarm module does not have security screws, the screws can easily be removed to lift the cover to access the batteries.

The Security screws which are mentioned are for the ring antenna module fitted around the ignition key. This is part of the immobiliser circuit, and has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Attachments

• CCAC18A6-52D5-4C56-B2C0-53A1B45391B8.jpeg
    CCAC18A6-52D5-4C56-B2C0-53A1B45391B8.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 182

:blast

Stop! Stop! Stop!

The Alarm module where the batteries are located is under the pillion seat cover. The Alarm module does not have security screws, the screws can easily be removed to lift the cover to access the batteries.

The Security screws which are mentioned are for the ring antenna module fitted around the ignition key. This is part of the immobiliser circuit, and has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Listen to Ian :thumb

the muddle up came up (from me) as about the same time (age of the bike) you'll get two warnings come up on the display you'll likely never have seen before.

as its all weird stuff on the dash - its not the end of the word to have in the same post - which I guess is why people have been happy to share experience / how to fix either issue

like the torx bit idea to get the antenna ring bit apart (thanks Steptoe) - and where to source batteries to make the other strange message vanish

is that a question or a recco on a good place that has them in stock ?

They stock the battery. 2 required.
31949bbf33d075f80546cd074bcf2ae2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom