Incredibly Low Insurance Quote

beemerboy9

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just had a quote from Carole Nash using the Gibraltar-based Westbay Insurance at 1/3 of what I'm paying at the moment.

On the basis that what appears to be "too-good-to-be-true" probably isn't.... I'm would to ask whether anyone has experience of this company.

All comments appreciated, especially from Wapping.......

John

A simple search shows it is an old name Zenith rebranded https://www.qicglobal.com/press/qat...ny-from-zenith-plc-to-west-bay-insurance-plc/

The parent QIC is a Qatar based company and also own Markerstudy, another established name.

I have had Markerstudy on my ignore list with MCE for some time due to seeing too many poor service reports. Maybe they have improved since being taken over ... do you feel lucky?

I have just had a quote from Carole Nash using the Gibraltar-based Westbay Insurance at 1/3 of what I'm paying at the moment.

On the basis that what appears to be "too-good-to-be-true" probably isn't.... I'm would to ask whether anyone has experience of this company.

John

What were you paying currently, and what are they offering ?

What is acceptable to you may be way over what others are paying ??

Legislation has changed recently so they have to offer you their cheapest offerings previously used to capture new business. Seems to have worked out very well for you.

I know nothing about this Gibraltar based Motor insurance company, other than what is in the public domain.

QIC Global comprises the international operations of Qatar Insurance Group, including the Qatar Re and Antares brands. QIC Global is defined as QIC Capital LLC (“QICC”) and its subsidiaries, which collectively form the QIC Global companies including: QIC Capital LLC, Qatar Reinsurance Company Limited, QIC Europe Limited, West Bay Insurance Plc, Markerstudy Insurance Company Limited, St Julians Insurance Company Limited, Antares Managing Agency Limited, Antares Underwriting Asia Pte. Limited, QIC Global Services Limited, QIC Global Services (Bermuda) Limited, and QIC Global Services (Zurich) AG. QIC Global Services (QICGS) is the group’s shared service provider to the group’s underwriting companies in the Qatar Re and Antares sub-group.

QIC is one of the highest rated insurers in the Gulf region with a rating of “A/Stable” from Standard & Poor’s and “A” from A.M. Best.

We do business with Qatar Re (ie it’s a reinsurance company) and Antares companies but that is another matter entirely.

Buy it, if you want to or use the leverage of the lower price offered to you, to push alternative quotes down if you don’t. Motor insurance is nowadays packaged and sold as a commodity, so treat it like one.

PS Zenith, my memory vaguely tells me, used to be a Lloyd’s of Luncheon, motor underwriting syndicate. If so, I can only guess that at some point it was sold to its new owners. Or maybe my memory is wrong?

Edit

I am not entirely senile yet. It was indeed indeed a Lloyd’s motor syndicate. It might well have been sold several times since, to end up with the camel riders.

http://bump.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ZENITHBUMP-ROI-FACT-SHEET-24022017.pdf

I wouldn’t do business with markerstudy under any circumstances. I was covered by them when I had an accident in 2018. They messed me around and around. The incident was settled 100% in my favour but they messed and messed around. Took them over a month to even look at my bike. They even wanted me to pay for my own repairs and claim off the 3rd party myself. The other insurance company took 1 look at the position of their insured car’s position and the bike and payed up. So much for fully comp. Insurance. Probably the most frustrating experience in my life. JJH

What were you paying currently, and what are they offering ?

What is acceptable to you may be way over what others are paying ??

They quoted £191 compared to £570 (by the real Zenith) that I am being quoted elsewhere. If one used a comparison website, these low prices hit one right between the eyeballs.

Well that was a lucky escape.

Insurance on my Himalayan is due in a couple of weeks, Confused.com emailed as they do each year with 'best quotes', Swinton was top of the pops, with a premium 1/3 of my current, though the other quotes were not far off the new lower price at £60! I insured the bike this afternoon, thinking that's great, lots cheaper than through Lynbrook Insurance (brokers). But I spotted it's with West Bay Insurance and then this thread...

A quick about turn and hopefully this has now been cancelled, hopefully the refund will come through.

I'd gone with Lynbrook a few years ago as they advertised in the BMW Club magazine, but the bonus was they're a 'proper broker', as in I can telephone and speak to someone without having to use a call centre. Is this why they're so much more, the contactibility? Online insurance is both great and a pain, so easy to get a quote and pay money over, but I'd hate to have to make a claim just online.

Sop, how on earth do you find insurance with good customer service?

Well that was a lucky escape.
Sop, how on earth do you find insurance with good customer service?

Read threads on here and ask others.

However, reputations can soon sour and sometimes improve.

Have you noticed that the once great Carole Nash is not so great. Higher prices and poor service is reported. Mrs Nash no longer owns the company. It is part of the very large Ardonagh Group so the call centre person reading off the screen may have been answering a call about someone's pet cat before your call. https://www.ardonagh.com/about-us/business-portfolio/ardonagh-retail/

Bennetts used to be on a lot of people's avoid list but they seem to have got better under the ownership of Saga. Ardonagh tried to buy them as well but it was fortunate that the Competition Authorities told them to fúck off, so Saga still own Bennetts.

Bemoto has had a lot of good press here but there is noise that they are not quite as good as they used to be. They have a notice on their website apologising for delays in answering calls. Presumably they have expanded beyond a point where their infrastructure can cope.

As for dealing with call centres for a claim. Your contract is with the underwriter so bin the broker and go direct to the underwriter unless you want to be locked into a claims handling process with a shower of cúnts like 4th Dimension paying the broker a finder's fee. This will most likely speed up your claim and mean you can get the repairs done at a place of your choice.

Just checked my renewal for this year

Its with westbay, Last year the price was £247.17 this year its £246.90

It will be renewed.

Makes you think, just how much is the broker taking ;)

Read threads on here and ask others.

However, reputations can soon sour and sometimes improve.

Have you noticed that the once great Carole Nash is not so great. Higher prices and poor service is reported. Mrs Nash no longer owns the company. It is part of the very large Ardonagh Group so the call centre person reading off the screen may have been answering a call about someone's pet cat before your call. https://www.ardonagh.com/about-us/business-portfolio/ardonagh-retail/

Bennetts used to be on a lot of people's avoid list but they seem to have got better under the ownership of Saga. Ardonagh tried to buy them as well but it was fortunate that the Competition Authorities told them to fúck off, so Saga still own Bennetts.

Bemoto has had a lot of good press here but there is noise that they are not quite as good as they used to be. They have a notice on their website apologising for delays in answering calls. Presumably they have expanded beyond a point where their infrastructure can cope.

As for dealing with call centres for a claim. Your contract is with the underwriter so bin the broker and go direct to the underwriter unless you want to be locked into a claims handling process with a shower of cúnts like 4th Dimension paying the broker a finder's fee. This will most likely speed up your claim and mean you can get the repairs done at a place of your choice.

Close - but no cigar.

Ardonagh’s purchase of Bennett’s was indeed eventually rejected by the competition authorities. Ardonagh moved it on to Lucida, owners of Right Choice and Bike Devil. Bennetts hasn’t been owned by Saga since 2019…

I recently ran a comparison quote on my 2002 1150r -fully comp £574.....then I ran it against a K1600 2020 bike and a 2018 RT..all the same £574...Go figure

Bennett’s were also trying to get me to go with WestBay, they are popping up everywhere. I declined the offer. When I phoned up to cancel the renewal I mentioned that I had retired and Bennett’s said my current insurer would not insure me and cancelled my insurance on the spot, I had to rush and get new cover immediately, not happy with that leaving me with no insurance.

Bennett’s were also trying to get me to go with WestBay, they are popping up everywhere. I declined the offer. When I phoned up to cancel the renewal I mentioned that I had retired and Bennett’s said my current insurer would not insure me and cancelled my insurance on the spot, I had to rush and get new cover immediately, not happy with that leaving me with no insurance.

seems odd. I retire in a few weeks so interested to see if this makes a difference. I have an alter ego on Confused.com - same profile except a different name and fake email & phone. I ran Mr West through and it comes back to the same price whether employed or retired.

Are you saying that that Bennetts cancelled your current (ie live) insurance policy on the spot (ie instantly) simply because you told the call centre chimp you had retired, leaving your vehicle uninsured from that moment through to expiry?

Or are you saying that:

A. You rejected Bennetts’ renewal offer from West Bay, and

B. You were told that your existing insurer, whoever that is, would be unable to offer you renewal

Meaning that you were then obliged to seek insurance cover for your renewal elsewhere.

Apparently it was due to the fact they would not do protected no claims for retired people and the broker was unable to remove it, only cancel and renew, the irony was the cheapest quote to renew came back was from the same insurance company that I was currently on and refused cover! Doesn’t make sense, even confused the broker, I thought retired people would be a lower risk

Are you saying that that Bennetts cancelled your current (ie live) insurance policy on the spot (ie instantly) simply because you told the call centre chimp you had retired, leaving your vehicle uninsured from that moment through to expiry?

Yes that was the case, the policy has two weeks to go, they cancelled it on the spot, I got a refund of £13 though

Aha, so the policy was not suddenly cancelled mid-term, simply because you announced to a call centre chimp that you had retired. Phew, that’s defused that potential bomb.

Ive been playing the usual ring around game. Bemoto. Carole Nash, Bennetts etc and theyre all coming up with Markerstudy/Westbay (same company) with very similar quotes. However, MarkerStudy appears to have a really bad reputation so i ask if they can quote another insurer and theres a real reluctance to quote. "Next ones twice the price, three times the price, excesss is a 1000 pounds, blah blah. Its bizarre. Its a shame you cant call one of the seemingly more reputable firms directly.

Ive been playing the usual ring around game. Bemoto. Carole Nash, Bennetts etc and theyre all coming up with Markerstudy/Westbay (same company) with very similar quotes. However, MarkerStudy appears to have a really bad reputation so i ask if they can quote another insurer and theres a real reluctance to quote. "Next ones twice the price, three times the price, excesss is a 1000 pounds, blah blah. Its bizarre. Its a shame you cant call one of the seemingly more reputable firms directly.

if you use Moneysupermarket, Confused etc online you can usually see the underwriter in the quote summary. I have an Axa policy via Bemoto and Ageas from Devitt.

If you really prefer to do business over the phone, try NFU Mutual or Bikesure

Back
Top Bottom