South wales meet up??

mavis cruet

Reaction score
Hi all. Just moved to south wales & wondered if there were any regular gs get togethers and/or rcomended bike stops/cafes in the area? We're near abergavenny and know about the cafe at the bus station. Im on an r100gs at the mo...
Cheers, karl..

Sadly the best one at Cwmdu has just closed. Not enough trade all year to make it viable I guess. I called in there a few times a year on a loop from Cheltenham.

I grew up in Monmouthshire and lived in Abergavenny for a while. My favourite cafe is the Monnow Bridge Cafe in Monmouth. Eat in or I usually get fish & chips to eat on the riverside.
Park on the paved area on the left https://goo.gl/maps/mvx1fsFQS43886eH6 - not heaving with bikes like Aber but usually one or two there on weekends. The road from Abergavenny to Monmouth via Llanvapley and Rockfield is a cracker. The road to Ross on Wye via Skenfrith is even better.

I have seen this place advertised but I am a bit cynical towards the Beckhamisation of motorcycling this page bangs on about https://www.baffleculture.com/about-us - between Abergavenny & Pontypool.

We used to have S Wales ride outs when I lived in Aber but none seem to have happened since lockdown.

There's the Glan Usk service station in Sennybridge, often find a good number of bikes there or further along the A40 at the Owl's Nest in Llandovery.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

There’s also the Cafe in Crossgates, great roads to get there from Abergavenny.

You could always take a run over Hay Bluff to Honey cafe.

Not usually many bikes but nice food.

There's the Glan Usk service station in Sennybridge, often find a good number of bikes there or further along the A40 at the Owl's Nest in Llandovery.

Yes, Glan Usk is my preferred stop west of Brecon. You know it is good as the rapid response vehicle with police & paramedic use it in between janitorial duties.

Yes, Glan Usk is my preferred stop west of Brecon. You know it is good as the rapid response vehicle with police & paramedic use it in between janitorial duties.
I'm often there on the weekend with a BikeSafe/ERS/RoSPA pupil, food is good and the service is quick enough too.

Good shout.

The road to Ross on Wye via Skenfrith is even better.

Not exactly on topic with the question posed by OP, but that road has a short side-trip to the rather imposing (and largely overlooked) 'White Castle' that is worth a visit. I spent many school holidays there as my mother was evacuated there from Brum during the war. You'll need to take your flask, though!

Not exactly on topic with the question posed by OP, but that road has a short side-trip to the rather imposing (and largely overlooked) 'White Castle' that is worth a visit. I spent many school holidays there as my mother was evacuated there from Brum during the war. You'll need to take your flask, though!

I know the castle well. Went on various school and family outings. Lived nearby at Onen for a brief period in a rented house in between sale & purchase of new one.

There is an award winning vineyard very close to White Castle now, but yes, few of the pubs I used to frequent in my youth in that area remain open.

I know the castle well. Went on various school and family outings. Lived nearby at Onen for a brief period in a rented house in between sale & purchase of new one.

There is an award winning vineyard very close to White Castle now, but yes, few of the pubs I used to frequent in my youth in that area remain open.

:beerjug:

Hi all. Just moved to south wales & wondered if there were any regular gs get togethers and/or rcomended bike stops/cafes in the area? We're near abergavenny and know about the cafe at the bus station. Im on an r100gs at the mo...
Cheers, karl..

I'm Carmarthen way myself, but always happy to pop in your direction for a ride and a pie, I'm on an R1100RT

There is a ride coming up on 2nd April called the "NewBurgerRing ride" (or similar) in support of Blood Bikes Wales, it'll be taking in 5 Cafes etc throughout the South and South West of Wales. details can be found on FB if you are that way inclined, thought it would be a good day out, exploring a few cafes I've yet to find..

Last edited:
You could always take a run over Hay Bluff to Honey cafe.

Not usually many bikes but nice food.

Is that the Honey Cafe Bronlyys ?

https://www.honeycafe.co.uk/

Stopped there a couple of times whilst passing, a great little spot with great cakes and a decent brew.

A shame it isn't more visible from the main road which would improve their footfall.

Is that the Honey Cafe Bronlyys ?

https://www.honeycafe.co.uk/

Stopped there a couple of times whilst passing, a great little spot with great cakes and a decent brew.

A shame it isn't more visible from the main road which would improve their footfall.
It is nice, bit pricey compared to other places, but the breakfast was nice.

I know Robb and Nicola at Whitecastle Vineyard…….I’d suggest one of their famous tours and lunches but not with a ride afterwards!

A group of mates from work and people we’ve picked up with do a couple of ranges rides and a day trip to Aberystwyth a few times a year if anyone fancies joining. We have people starting from Newport, Monmouth, Abergavenny, pontyclun, and me in Ebbw……usually all come together in Morries garage in Brecon around 10am and head off together from there. Ping me if interested and I’ll message the next time we do it.

White Castle mentioned … Google Rudolph Hess and the fascinating conspiracies surrounding.
Hess was captured in Scotland after breaking his leg ( or arm ) bailing out of his Messerschmitt.
He was sent to ABVGNY Maindiff Court and allowed outings to paint at White Castle .
It’s the reason for his visit and the solitary confinement in his last years that are full of conspiracy .

Sorry to detract from the OP but as we're talking Cafes at the moment ....the Wye Knot Stop on the A479 in Llyswen just outside Talgarth is very nice. Lovely rickety suspension bridge across a beautiful stretch of the River Wye just up the road too. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom