do51fkr

Reaction score
Hi all,
Problem;
GSA1250 with navi prep
Montana 700i
iPhone13
GS helmet with latest BMW(Sena) comms
Is there a way I can connect this lot so that I can use my phone/music with my helmet and the whizzy wheel on the bike-
AND get turn by turn from the Montana 700i into the helmet?
- all suggestions welcome as long as I don't end up in A+E
Best..
do51fkr
... answer to inevitable suggestion "why don't I just use my phone for the Nav as well" - I usually do but I'm going somewhere with no phone coverage so have to use GPS and don't want to keep swapping units for the road trip part.

Your phone will still act as a GPS device without it receiving a phone signal.

My Samsung S10 I can use with the GPS signal dependent BMW Connected app:

A. Without the SIM card inserted ie. No phone signal reception possible

B. In aeroplane mode, ie. No phone connection possible.

I am not familiar with the Montana device but if it can be externally powered, I guess you could do it via the 1250’s standard navigation power point, hidden away under the beak area. Use the BMW plug and naked leads to do this. The plug is available from BMW or from outlets like Nippy Norman and eBay.

https://www.nippynormans.com/r1250g...any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness

See assorted posts elsewhere in this section on how to wire it up and / or for other suggestions how to power a GPS device / cradle. For example, the one where the fellow powers his cradle via a conventional plug:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...fferent-bike?p=6457618&viewfull=1#post6457618

See also assorted posts on how to find the navigation power point, hidden away under the beak.

Can you control the Montana’s screen via the whirly wheel thing? No.

Can you channel voice instructions from the Montana to your helmet? I guess so, if the Montana spits out voice instructions, maybe via Bluetooth.

Can you channel music, phone calls etc from your phone to your helmet? Yes, via Bluetooth.

This of course presupposes your helmet has some kind of Bluetooth headset in it.

Can you control your phone via the whirly wheel? Maybe.

You might be better off asking the audio connections question, in the dedicated sub-section:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/forum...nc-linking-phones-music-I-can’t-hear-anything

PS Did you ever make this trip:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/592883-What-can-possibly-go-wrong

Hi all,
Problem;
GSA1250 with navi prep
Montana 700i
iPhone13
GS helmet with latest BMW(Sena) comms
Is there a way I can connect this lot so that I can use my phone/music with my helmet and the whizzy wheel on the bike-
AND get turn by turn from the Montana 700i into the helmet?
- all suggestions welcome as long as I don't end up in A+E
Best..
do51fkr
... answer to inevitable suggestion "why don't I just use my phone for the Nav as well" - I usually do but I'm going somewhere with no phone coverage so have to use GPS and don't want to keep swapping units for the road trip part.

For road riding set up a new or automotive profile with only CN maps selected and not others
Then you can get turn by turn by n the road
Off-road with OSurvey maps or other OSM ones you will be to follow the track line & don’t think turn by turn will work with off-road maps
As for Comms I have no idea

OK - so, I'm cobbling together an arrangement so that I can mount the Montana 700i bike mount over the oem navi mount. Then I can power it with a short lead from the oem usb port on the bike.
I've sorted the maps out so that I get turn by turn, I just want to route it to the helmet with its bluetooth comms. I know I wont get turn by turn when off road in the wilds using the north Africa mapping.
I didn't want to sacrifice the phone connection to the bike and the whizzy functionality - so I'm trying to connect both the phone and the navi to the helmet.
I'm guessing it's going to be a case of using the bike connectivity as a hub and connect everything to it via bluetooth.
..ps.. Wapping - the trip was postponed due to injury - but hoping to leave mid-March, hence time to get the gps up and running.

Sooo - connected Montana to helmet - all good.
Bike connected to phone and shows on tft as connected - but - navigation, phone and media menus all greyed out :-/

do51fkr sitrep.
If I pair the helmet with the Montana first - the phone has to have BT switched off - then once that is established switch the phone back on and wait for it to pair - then the phone and media menus appear, but not navi (dont need it).
Tried the phone and it works fine, media still says "updating".
All of the above has to be done through the various menus, doesn't pair automatically - total ball ache.

Back
Top Bottom