BMW Breakdown

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When i bought my GS 3 years ago i was given a BMW Motorrad silver card, i presume this is the breakdown cover?
I've never used it obviously.

Is there a way to check this online to see if its still valid?

I thought it only lasted for the two years after purchase, unless you paid for an extended warranty.

When i bought my GS 3 years ago i was given a BMW Motorrad silver card, i presume this is the breakdown cover?

not that I know of

the new bike warranty including breakdown will be valid for 3 years from date of first registration

if you bought the bike used from a BMW dealer, and it was over a year old, they will have given you a 2 year approved used bike warranty with breakdown, so the breakdown will expire 2 years after the invoice date for the sale.

Its probably expired then.

The Bike was bought brand new from Williams, then on its 3rd service the owner bought a new bike and i bought this 3 year old.
and was issued with a warranty
the bike has had all its services and MOT done by Williams on time

You would have thought they would have mentioned its due to expire when they serviced it last?
i would have extended it if they had

BMW went to a 3 year warranty some years ago

An interesting one.

My 4 month old ex-demo 1250, originally came with a 3 year warranty, but the AUB warranty was only 2 years. Apparently, at the time, the BMW warranty was for 2 years and the dealer who supplied the bike from new topped it to three.

My understanding was that the original two year was transferable but not the third (dealer provided) year.

I may have wrongly assumed it wasn't a new purchase.

You would have thought they would have mentioned its due to expire when they serviced it last?

I wasn't advised and subsequently forgot about it.

January was the last dealer service the bike will see.

The dealer service I've been paying seems reasonable at £160

It next due in June, i will mention the warranty then, see what they say. i think £300 a year was mentioned?

The dealer service I've been paying seems reasonable at £160

I'm assuming that is the 6,000/annual service?

My last service was around £375, for oils, plugs, filters and valve clearance checks - majority is the very expensive BMW oils and labour charges.

My extended warranty (inc. breakdown) is around £380.00 per year.

Nope but any BMW dealer either car or bike can tell you if you give them the VIN , the 3 year UK warranty came out late 2017 or early 2018, same as they can tell if the bike is under 2 year approved used or BMW Insured Used Warranty

Yous should have had a mail from

Motorrad Insured warranty, about 2 months before your provided warranty expired.

The costs vary, but to give you an example

You can have Roadside assistance essential - £65.00 = roadside fix or recovery & breakdown at home

Or you can go down the warranty route

3 levels of excess

£0

£50

£100

Payable in the event of a claim

Pretty much everything else is covered, (except wear and tear items ) and some oddities - The shocks are only covered to 30K though :(

Cover limitations are up to 80K miles and bike under 10 years old for the recovery part.

You can pay monthly or annually

Annually is £455.85 which is Warranty , recovery / breakdown assist & £0 excess per claim

Annually is £455.85 which is Warranty , recovery / breakdown assist & £0 excess per claim

Crikey, that's not cheap for something you hope not to use is it.

I already have breakdown recovery with the AA, so it was just the repair cost cover i wanted.
i will be buying a new bike in another 15 month and i will get cover again (i bought the bike on 4 years finance which is next June)

Then stick the £455 in a jar and don’t spend it over the next 15 months. If you have no repair cost claims, you’ll have £455 to spend. If you do have a claim and it’s less than this amount, you’ll still be in credit. If you do have a claim and it’s more, then you’ll not be so well off.

15 months will tell you if your decision was right or wrong.

PS You can also shop around for alternative repair cost insurances and compare their cost / coverage with BMW’s branded product. There’s a shed load out there:

b29c660056319dcce14fa869e2df270a.png

One possible advantage of using the BMW branded product is, if you do have a claim (and it’s covered) and your repairs are being carried out in a BMW Motorrad dealership, the payment should be near enough instantaneous.

Crikey, that's not cheap for something you hope not to use is it.

I already have breakdown recovery with the AA, so it was just the repair cost cover i wanted.
i will be buying a new bike in another 15 month and i will get cover again (i bought the bike on 4 years finance which is next June)

With my last gsa I took out extended warranty after the two year manufacturers warranty ran out , it cost £850 for two years but in that time it needed a full clutch pack due to a manufacturing defect which cost over £1200 and then suffered an ECU failure 10 months later in Austria a further 1100 euros.

So I was quids in , would I run an LC without some kind of warranty ?............. not a chance

Back
Top Bottom