Starter motor cover for Arrowhead starter?

biker_dad

Reaction score
Hi All,

Arrowhead replacement starter motor (from Motorworks) fitted by BMW dealer in 2018. At service in 2021 the same BMW dealer pointed out that there wasn't a cover on the starter motor (!)

So bought a standard BMW starter motor cover (not expensive) - but I could not fit it, although I am not an experienced mechanic. It seemed just a little bit too short.

24000 mile service coming up so I have asked the BMW dealer to fit it.

My question is - will it fit? Or does that starter motor need a different cover? Or any cover at all?

Thanks,

David

2012 R1200GS (*I think this classes as a hexhead)

2012 would be a hexhead

The cover is just cosmetic TBH, the new LC's 2013 on dont, have one

As far as i can remember, the starter is the same dimensions whether Bosch or Valeo (OEM) fitment.

I cant speak for the arrow unit, it may be longer, in which case the cover wont fit.

For what it's worth, make sure the blind grommets are not in the holes in the engine casing ,

lubricate them with a bit of WD40 or red grease externally and internally,and refit to the block, then push / slide the pins on the cover into the grommets

They dont fit that well, you may see a 5mm gap at the engine case end, even with the cover fitted correctly

My 2013 GSA Hexhead does not have a cover on the starter motor, I think BMW stopped fitting them at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was few years ago when I replaced my starter motor on my 2011 GSA and I haven’t got the bike now but I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get the cover to fit so just left it off. It was fine. I’ve a bit of curved black plastic somewhere safe in the garage that I’m also pretty sure I now know what it is. Thanks👍

Back
Top Bottom