Bosnia - is comprehensive insurance possible?

So do you mean you actually have a physical, hard-copy, green-coloured document, then?! If so, congrats, and what did you need to say or do to obtain this? I want....!
They emailed it to me. I think I posted the email address I was using to contact Bennett’s earlier. The covering email though had a strong whiff of “here you are no go away”.

I just printed the green card certificate they emailed on green paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I’d thought of that. I printed a full A4 copy and a couple of two-up on a page sized ones just in case. I doubt I’ll need them at all.

Who ever is travelling through the Balkans, online and the gvmt website may say you have greencard cover in eu and extended countries but be very wary it is down to the individual insurers which country they will cover you in and also level of cover! Many bike insurers decline any cover in these countries.
Also the 90 day rule is due to European law stating a UK regd vehicle can only spend 90 days out of every 180 days in Europe. Yes you can stay longer and you can get extended EU cover for vehicles but at your own risk.

Also i forgot to mention that a lot of Green cards are issued at point of sale with the certificates, so this can be printed on green paper if you really want one

As it happens, I - the instigator of this thread - rode into Bosnia today.

I never did manage to get verification from Bennetts that my fully comp is valid here and have assumed it wouldn't be. We'd been told by our tour organiser that we would need to buy the TP insurance at the border; we asked the guy at Passport Control about it and he just waved us through - I suspect that was lost in translation. If we hadn't known about it, we'd have just ridden off happily into the Bosnian sunset; but as it was, we went to the building next door with our V5Cs as directed by our organiser, and knocked on a door where we were each apparently sold a 10-day TP insurance policy for 10 euros.

We rode into Bosnia and immediately hit the most godawful roadworks you've ever seen - we had to ride over about a mile of effectively gravel track, bouncing all over the place like enduro riders. Oh my God, no insurance and I'm so going down.... but we didn't. And the bikes are all locked up together tonight with multiple chains and locks... what a bizarre situation.

Back home now having survived the Bosnian Experience unscathed....
Crossing the border out of the country, the border guards showed no interest at all; didn't even look at our passports, never mind checking to see we were 'properly' insured. So my passport has an entry stamp but no exit... and as in my above post, in fact if I'd been 'ignorant' I could quite easily have ridden in and out of the country with no knowledge of the whole insurance issue at all.

Below is a copy of the 'policy' which you have to buy, for what it's worth!

Back
Top Bottom