I Bought an R100GS to pursue perfection: advice needed

looking forward to seeing it change back to the original alpine white, its my favourite colour scheme for any airhead and best looking GS. I think the faux Paris Dakar paintwork is a bit naff :D

good luck they're such a beautiful bike and a joy to ride even now 30 years on :okay

looking forward to seeing it change back to the original alpine white, its my favourite colour scheme for any airhead and best looking GS. I think the faux Paris Dakar paintwork is a bit naff :D

good luck they're such a beautiful bike and a joy to ride even now 30 years on :okay

Exactly my thoughts!!
I love cars and bikes on original colours schemes

Will keep you posted.

Nic

As Posh Pete suggested, the larger brake disc makes braking effective rather than hopeful.

Well worth the upgrade.

I like these round headlamped GS's. They're a great looking bike.

Fitted a little protection grille to mine

Attachments

• Grille.jpg
    Grille.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 224
I like that Steve, makes it look rugged.

And, whilst you're on your travels, if you're ever short of something to hold a flower arrangement, you can whip it off et voila!

Fitted a little protection grille to mine
. That is an excellent idea. I've just taken the headlight fairing off my '89 GS & a grille would finish it off nicely. Practical too - the bike will get a lot of use on gravel roads. Easy fit? Source? Ta muchly.

I have a white mudguard. yer can have it for a fair price you want to pay please. Postage or pick up is up to you
The seatlock is a rare part indeed do you have any of the catch or do you want all of it ( a full catch)
Reson for second answer is Jaber a lad off here made a spring loaded catch out of the bit he got off a broken catch ( ring pull as I recall)

. That is an excellent idea. I've just taken the headlight fairing off my '89 GS & a grille would finish it off nicely. Practical too - the bike will get a lot of use on gravel roads. Easy fit? Source? Ta muchly.

To be honest im not sure where you can get them , but i think that they are used on classic cars so its worth a look on e bay , that one came off of a old headlight surround.
As for fitting i used 3 small cable ties @120 degrees , marked the position on pieces of tape and then drilled by hand .

Hope this helps

I have a white mudguard. yer can have it for a fair price you want to pay please. Postage or pick up is up to you
The seatlock is a rare part indeed do you have any of the catch or do you want all of it ( a full catch)
Reson for second answer is Jaber a lad off here made a spring loaded catch out of the bit he got off a broken catch ( ring pull as I recall)

Hi,

Many thanks, please or send me few pictures. Without complicating matters, I have another GS 80 Basic in pristine condition. The back mudguard bent and went back in position resulting in a loss of white coat on few spots. I need a perfect new one otherwise I get that recoated.

I have a latch, I just need the key. I found one on ebay italy.

Nic

Hi,

Many thanks, please or send me few pictures. Without complicating matters, I have another GS 80 Basic in pristine condition. The back mudguard bent and went back in position resulting in a loss of white coat on few spots. I need a perfect new one otherwise I get that recoated
I have a latch, I just need the key. I found one on ebay italy.

Nic

Here is the damage.

24D8C3AE-88E3-450D-AB2B-35E7C268B8A6.jpg

73B8AB52-2FC6-4160-A71F-4E126CDCD3DC.jpg

A quick update:
1) Seat currently being recovered in original colours while the gel is refurbished and slightly lifted.
2) Tank is being stripped from old non original stickers, polished and new OEM stile stickers applied.
3) wheels are off to be re-spoke, rims polished and hubs cleaned.
4) most of the parts arrived:
- upgraded wider disk
- new pads and shoes
- new clutch cable
- various wheel bearings
- various tank locks
- original repair book and tools
- full service kit
- new fuel filters
- new headers and carbs gaskets
- new progressive from springs
- new fork seals
- rear Ohlins

Still waiting for a new set of second hand keys comprehensive of starter, tank, steering lock and seat.

Still planning to remove cylinders and get them professionally cleaned.

0691D029-64E9-435C-AE09-2B93DE0A4B62.jpg

7B20AB9F-4386-43C5-A640-A7DA9CB2BC02.jpg

Will keep you posted.

Nic

Back
Top Bottom