2013 retro fit steering damper

Oliverte

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just bought a lovely 2013 R1200GS TE.

Lovely bike, and such an upgrade from my last GS.

I have noticed some steering wobble on the bike, particularly after a small power wheelie and a little bit at higher speeds.

Has anyone retrofitted the touratech steering damper to a 2013 model? I think it could be my first upgrade...

https://www.touratech-uk.co.uk/tour...00gs-lc-model-2013-mounting-kit-included.html

Cheers
Ollie

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Gosh , that’s an expensive luxury. I assume the fitted steering damper is found wanting ?

Really?

I've ridden the bike only 200 miles and already felt it wobble.

Perhaps you guys aren't getting on the gas hard enough to bring up the front wheel. If that's the case, you don't need a steering damper.

Really?

Perhaps you guys aren't getting on the gas hard enough to bring up the front wheel. If that's the case, you don't need a steering damper.

You're probably right. I've never been over 130 mph on mine.... :augie

Hi all,

I've just bought a lovely 2013 R1200GS TE.

Lovely bike, and such an upgrade from my last GS.

I have noticed some steering wobble on the bike, particularly after a small power wheelie and a little bit at higher speeds.

Has anyone retrofitted the touratech steering damper to a 2013 model? I think it could be my first upgrade...

https://www.touratech-uk.co.uk/tour...00gs-lc-model-2013-mounting-kit-included.html

Cheers
Ollie

What tyres are fitted and what condition are they in ?

Yes, i would be looking at all of the above before spending on bling, and I have spent serious amounts on bling!
Tyres are the most likely and the easiest place to start - don`t expect more that 5k before some tracking occus.

I have a 2013 and eventually retrofitted a factory steering damper, makes a big difference and worth the pain. Definitely a weekend job with the right tools and plenty of patience.

You need:
- 2014 onwards swing arm (with the whole for the damper bolt)
- 2014 onwards lower triple (with the mounting tab for the damper)
- damper itself with the right hardware

Use the Haynes manual and follow the procedure for removing the front wishbone. Take special care when lowering the engine as the water inlet manifold is easily damaged (ask me how I know!)

Rides like a different bike afterwards, smooth and planted at all speeds. Ignore the armchair experts, BMW wouldn’t cut into their profits and have one fitted to every LC bike ever made (after the first run) if it didn’t serve a purpose…

I am sure BMW fitted the steering damper from 2014 for good reason, and for more than one known accident.
Even with a damper the 2014 and 2017 and 2022 version can get lively when pushed and you can tell the damper keeps things in check, it makes a sensible retrofit.
There will always be the echoes of ‘never had a problem’ but having witnessed a bad accident caused by a fairly mild tank slapper, you only need them to save you once.
Add in the extra stability improving the ride, to the peace of mind and it is a no brainer.

Really?

Yes really. Either with a full set of luggage, or on a sharp incline the front can lift, i use my nouse to know how much gas to use, or not, to keep traction. A steering damper won't fix the ability to ride your Bike sensibly

I believe that the damper was fitted after an accident in South Africa when journalists were taking the new LC GS for a spirited ride over some rough roads.

I have,at the moment, at 2014 bike with the damper. The photo shows the attachment to the front forks, however I don’t know if the tele lever bottom is thickened at that attachment point.

Attachments

• DB1E2650-F1D9-468B-B9BD-1182CA1A9B95.jpg
    DB1E2650-F1D9-468B-B9BD-1182CA1A9B95.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 137
Yes really. Either with a full set of luggage, or on a sharp incline the front can lift, i use my nouse to know how much gas to use, or not, to keep traction. A steering damper won't fix the ability to ride your Bike sensibly
Sorry, you misunderstand me. I am intentionally lifting the front wheel, that's why I bought a bike with 125hp! Nothing wrong with my riding ability but thanks!

Thank you for all of the replies that address my actual question. Very helpful and I think I will proceed with one.

I also agree that bmw would not fit one unnecessarily, and I have ridden my fair share of bikes to trust my instincts.

I am intentionally lifting the front wheel, that's why I bought a bike with 125hp!

Expensive way to lift the front wheel...I used to do that when I was 9...on a 1bhp man power bike. Than I got older and wiser:green gri
Ask BMW, they may fit the part free. Mention that you have a problem when you have one wheel in the air:D

Sorry, you misunderstand me. I am intentionally lifting the front wheel, that's why I bought a bike with 125hp! Nothing wrong with my riding ability but thanks!

Thank you for all of the replies that address my actual question. Very helpful and I think I will proceed with one.

I also agree that bmw would not fit one unnecessarily, and I have ridden my fair share of bikes to trust my instincts.

Thought BMW fitted the steering damper after a journalist died on an early one

Back
Top Bottom