Michelin maps - Best place to buy

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Where is the best place to buy 2023 or at least 2022 Michelin map 719 Germany-Benelux-Austria-Czech Republic
i may need a few closer detailed too, not sure yet.

Looked on ebay and amazon they mostly seem to be very old maps

either that or someone recommend better maps?
i have never owned a Michelin map, but i like the idea of the green detail indicating scenic routes.

Where is the best place to buy 2023 or at least 2022 Michelin map 719 Germany-Benelux-Austria-Czech Republic

i have never owned a Michelin map, but i like the idea of the green detail indicating scenic routes.

I would think Waterstones would be a good place to start.

Amazon Germany and Amazon France etc. usually have a much better selection of domestic maps than Amazon UK have for those countries.

Thanks...
the Waterstones version says Edition updated in 2019
Book depositary says published 28 Mar 2022

up to date enough i suppose :)

maybe there isnt a 2022/23 version like i was looking for

That map covers such a large area it’s really not any use other than to give you an overview of the region. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a copy and it does get used prior to departure so my wife can veto destinations when she realises how far apart they are but if I were you I’d be looking at the specific areas I’m going to visit and order those maps at the same time to save on postage and packing.

Don’t forget that if you have Amazon Prime membership you’ll avoid those pesky P&P charges which soon mount up if you’re like me and decide to add another map then a week later yet another one :D

Don’t forget that if you have Amazon Prime membership you’ll avoid those pesky P&P charges which soon mount up if you’re like me and decide to add another map then a week later yet another one :D

I do have Amazon prime and yes i am likely to keep adding maps lol

my thinking was the overview map would be ok, as i will have my laptop with me and at night i can check MyRoute App and Google maps for details on the following day. also have the Nav6 and Phone
My route will be planned before i leave but there is always someone you meet who says "Oh you need to alter your route to visit...." hang on ill get my map, show me lol
im always open to a few changes :)

Stanfords are reliable, but I see their 719 is a 2019 version ........... https://www.stanfords.co.uk/Germany-Benelux-Austria-Czechia-Michelin_9782067219854

However, for route planning, I really doubt a later version would affect the decision process much. For instance, my Michelin 718 is an old 2010, but most of Germany is still in the same place.

The alternative may be a Kummerly & Frey map - I have used their Central Europe for planning, but far prefer the Michelin layout.

I guess an age thing, but I do still like a paper map, even with google & satnav.

If the area you wish to cover is the whole of Germany-Benelux-Austria-Czech Republic, it won’t matter if your map is 2023, 2013 or 2003, the detail will be very high level. It’ll be quite adequate enough to show Hans the Pig Farmer, where you have roughly been and where you roughly intend to go.

Buy a map when you arrrive.

All joking apart, Andy is quite right. The lots of countries on one map is great for just looking at and showing people.

Michelin offer a ‘whole of Germany map; a two map of Germany, splitting country north and south. Michelin then divide Germany up into, I think, five sections, spread over five maps. You obviously only need the sections you are visiting. From your holiday thread, you certainly won’t hit the north coast for example, so don’t buy it.

Maps though are very personal things. I find many of the very detailed maps too ‘busy’. Does anyone really need every tiny village hamlet and goat track in Thüringen, all day every day? In other words, buy a map that suits you and the purposes you intend to use it for.

All joking apart, Andy is quite right. The lots of countries on one map is great for just looking at and showing people.

Michelin then divide Germany up into, I think five, sections. You obviously only need the sections you are visiting. From your holiday thread, you certainly won’t hit the north coast for example, so don’t buy it.

Maps though are very personal things. I find many of the very detailed maps too ‘busy’. Does anyone really need every tiny village hamlet and goat track in Thüringen, all day every day? In other words, buy a map that suits you and the purposes you intend to use it for.

Tut. Maps can't ever be too busy. I thought you were better than that. :D

I think as much as anything else, it’s the fonts and colours used. I like the clear colours of Michelin but I can’t get on with IGN’s (probably very good) maps.

One of the best full Germany map sets that I have, I bought for I think 8 euro in a small garage in Germany. It came from ADAC and was invaluable when I made my lap of Germany. It is in a small blue pack of I think 10 double sided maps.

Edit....

I found it: https://geobuch.de/kartentipp-adac-kartenset-deutschland-1200-000/

Don't be daft. Then it would be in foreign, obvs. :blast

Yea how silly, all the towns would be in German!

As for stitching them together in photoshop... i did actually consider this hahaha
i have access to a colour A0 printer/plotter at work.... almost tempted :D

I'm in our local Waterstones looking for a map for next week. They have a few of the more popular areas I suspect.

Attachments

• 20230315_145209.jpg
    20230315_145209.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 63

Back
Top Bottom