Ashdod (Israel)

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Right then, I’m off to spend my birthday in the sunny Mediterranean port of Ashdod which might seem a bit of a strange place to go but someone else is paying and I’ve actually got to work for 12 out of the 13 days I’ll be there for.

Has anyone visited this place? The lunatic German I’ll be working with has been emailing me with lists of bars, restaurants and seedy dives we need to visit which is great but I’d sooner do something slightly more constructive with my time on my day off.

Some of the other guys are planning to charter a boat and go fishing for a day which isn’t a bad idea because I don’t suffer from sea sickness and apparently stand up paddle boards can be hired so there’s a second one but any other suggestions will be welcomed.

I fly out on the 20th and officially start work on the 22nd but we’ve been told that the part of the project the lunatic and I are on might not need us on site until the 24th so I may have a bit of extra time to amuse myself :D

I went several times in the mid-80’s / 90’s when we used to do reinsurance on the Ashdod power station, amongst other things. I bet it has changed a lot.

I went several times in the mid-80’s / 90’s when we used to do reinsurance on the Ashdod power station, amongst other things. I bet it has changed a lot.

Well the power station definitely has :D

Try and do a bit of travelling if you get the opportunity. Israel is an amazingly historic place and there are some awesome places to visit.

Just be warned though - it's uber expensive!!

Watch out for stray missiles as you’ll be in the middle of launches between Gaza City and Tel Aviv!

Simply have some time in Tel Aviv. Isreal is a great place to see.

Simply have some time in Tel Aviv. Isreal is a great place to see.

I might get to spend my last day there if I work things out to enable it for my travel day but the issue then is what to do with my luggage. My wife suggested getting a 10pm flight but I then need to book a hotel in Tel Aviv for 2 nights if I want the complete day looking around so that’s not happening.

My best chance is a delayed start to my part of the project but the temptation to sit in the sun for a few hours will be very strong if that happens.

I might get to spend my last day there if I work things out to enable it for my travel day but the issue then is what to do with my luggage. My wife suggested getting a 10pm flight but I then need to book a hotel in Tel Aviv for 2 nights if I want the complete day looking around so that’s not happening.

My best chance is a delayed start to my part of the project but the temptation to sit in the sun for a few hours will be very strong if that happens.

I enjoyed the walk along the sea front in TA, mind you, if you can get to Jerusalem that great too. I’m not in the least religious but ALL of Israel is good if you like historical type tourism.

Update:

Drivers are mad and change lanes on a whim.

Mobile internet is very random and that can make using mobile phones for navigation interesting.

Shabbat is bad for westerners.

Passover looks as if it’ll be double bad for westerners.

The weather is good.

I’m moderately pissed off because my job is going to run over and due to Passover I can’t extend my hotel stay but we have an admin who can deal with that or I’ll fly home and come back when they’ve got me a hotel somewhere but that’s more than amply compensated for by the fact that our international security guidelines specify an uplift on our rates in certain areas and being within 40km of Gaza gets us 50% so guess who is currently stopping 38km away from the naughty boys :beerjug:

Well I’m home now and I’ve got to say that even though it’s cold and damp I’m glad to be home.

Would I go back to work in Israel? Actually the answer is yes and it’s a rare occurrence but we do get a choice because of security issues. I’ve got a multi entry visa so I can come and go relatively easily and that makes a difference plus I now understand a bit more about how to ensure you get food and drink during Shabbat.

Would I go there for a holiday? No. It’s expensive and the negatives outweigh the positives as far as I’m concerned. The negatives are all very minor things but if you’re not expecting them and don’t prepare yourself you can end up in a World full of unhappiness and to be honest, there are other places that I’d sooner go to. Just to make it clear, I don’t include security issues because unless you want to visit places that you know are likely to be a bit more ‘on the edge’ and you want to go there when tensions are running a bit high it’s perfectly safe.

Back
Top Bottom