Drive shaft recall and the RT

Wierpig

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As we now know, the recall (service measure) to inspect and replace the drive shaft does not incluxe our RT models.Ive asked the dealer why not.Ask BMW sir.I asked them.Referred me back to the dealer.Familiar BMW customer service scam.Has anyone got an answer from them as to why the RT isnt included?

I read on the afmb.fr site that BMW extended the recall to all the RTs not just the authority version.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We have 3 civilian RTs in our fleet. A 2019, 2020 and 2021. All of them have had both recalls and shafts replaced. Go figure

Not so according the our local dealers.Only authority bikes get done.Rest of us can piss off.

Not so according the our local dealers.Only authority bikes get done.Rest of us can piss off.

BMW Blood bikes are classed as arduous duty, so the same servicing and recalls as authority RTps. But you are correct, my own 1250RT isn't getting a look in

I am going to do my best to translate some news items from Motorrad magazine on-line web pages.

Re: The drive shaft inspection recall. As GS and GSAs have much more suspension movement and are often used in wetter/muddier conditions, they are move likely to accumulate water in the shaft housing leading to wear. Authority RTs are reckoned to have a similar heavy duty cycle as they are often driven straight on and off kerbs. Such a failure is not considered likely on civilian RTs. The wheel is removed and a measuring disc is inserted in its place - test are run over various shaft angles and motor revs. If everything is within spec no action is required. If not then a detailed inspection of various parts is undertaken. If required, the fix is to drill a hole for a one-way vent near a CV joint to allow moisture and water to escape.

Re: Gearbox input shaft recall. Machines that undergo violent variations between engine and rear wheel speed can occassionaly experience a gearbox input shaft breakage. This would happen after long off-road/enduro type jumps on the GS or driving on and off a kerb on an authority RT when the rear wheel leaves the ground. The fix will be a software update to the anti-slip (ASC/DTC) regulator to prevent large discrepancies in speed before the rear wheel touches down again.

Hopefully this will be sufficient information for most...

I am going to do my best to translate some news items from Motorrad magazine on-line web pages.

Re: The drive shaft inspection recall. As GS and GSAs have much more suspension movement and are often used in wetter/muddier conditions, they are move likely to accumulate water in the shaft housing leading to wear. Authority RTs are reckoned to have a similar heavy duty cycle as they are often driven straight on and off kerbs. Such a failure is not considered likely on civilian RTs. The wheel is removed and a measuring disc is inserted in its place - test are run over various shaft angles and motor revs. If everything is within spec no action is required. If not then a detailed inspection of various parts is undertaken. If required, the fix is to drill a hole for a one-way vent near a CV joint to allow moisture and water to escape.

Re: Gearbox input shaft recall. Machines that undergo violent variations between engine and rear wheel speed can occassionaly experience a gearbox input shaft breakage. This would happen after long off-road/enduro type jumps on the GS or driving on and off a kerb on an authority RT when the rear wheel leaves the ground. The fix will be a software update to the anti-slip (ASC/DTC) regulator to prevent large discrepancies in speed before the rear wheel touches down again.

Hopefully this will be sufficient information for most...

Ask anyone who works on them and t⅚hey will tell you the RT suffers shaft corrosion exactly the same as the GS.

Ask anyone who works on them and t⅚hey will tell you the RT suffers shaft corrosion exactly the same as the GS.

Of our 4 bikes, the RTp shaft changed at 60k, 2019 1250RT 10k, 2020 1250RT 10k, 2021 RT 10k

Back
Top Bottom