A pleasant hexhead surprise

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve had this TC GSA about 6 month now and thought I should get it on the ramp and look at the drive shaft.

IMG_6061.jpg

Really wasn’t looking forward to what I might find, a few of the fixings are pretty corroded.

But lo and behold, it looks like a brand new shaft!

IMG_6063.jpg

And all nicely lubed at both ends too. And the pinion bearing fittings look brand new too.

Result.

Mine was just the same 2010 GS TC, think they assembled them correctly in those days.

There was a guy on here selling the correct white grease for sealing the boot, worth getting some if you can.

Mine was just the same 2010 GS TC, think they assembled them correctly in those days.

There was a guy on here selling the correct white grease for sealing the boot, worth getting some if you can.
You mean Staburags NBU 30 to be precise.

Get it from BMW. Price is quite good actually. And it's not just a 'white grease'. It stays sticky and flexible the whole time. Lithium or other 'white grease'' dries out, breaks up and is basically rubbish for this job...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Yep, got a bloody great tub of the stuff! It gets everywhere:

I'm quite liberal with, which I discovered is actually quite handy because if for some reason you have from the FD on a trip, it's means there's more than enough to re-seal it all again

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Very reassuring to see things all hunky dory in there, how many miles on the clock?

Maybe it is a new shaft, fitted about 7 months, ago along with new pinion bearings…:D

Try Rock Oil Marine grease on the boot it’s a great product made for extreme conditions and it’s not expensive.

With all the talk about drive shafts I thought that I had better have a look at my 09 GS shaft. It has a FD drain plug so I have never dropped the Final Drive down in 11 years and 82,000 miles.
Anyway I did it and had a really nice surprise. It looks like its just left the factory. Perhaps the answer is don't, unless there is a good reason, drop the FD down and risk not sealing the boots properly and allowing water in. The picture was taken after I had wiped the original grease off the splines and before putting new grease on.
Hopefully it will be good for another 80,000 miles!

Attachments

• 20230421_165614.jpg
    20230421_165614.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 224
It must be the time of year for everyone getting their bikes ready to get back out there.

I did a full service on the bike this weekend and then checked the final drive and I must admit it was the first time I'd taken the final drive apart since I bought the bike new in 2009.

Very pleased to say that as per others here, mine looked in as new condition. All lubed with the correct lubricants, then put back together again, ready to check in another 14 years time :thumby:.

Letter - 1 (1).jpg

Back
Top Bottom