Simon Weir’s basics of going away on your bike

Wapping

Reaction score
Lifted unashamedly from Weir’s new guide ‘Europe for Bikers’ released this month; get a copy, it’s pretty good.

Lots of people know this stuff but quite a few don’t. With them in mind and maybe to act as a reminder to others, here they are:

4b051d62cc83f3b87694c217256a42f4.jpg

3a60548ca27bcc30c486a5dccb4e629d.jpg

483694f52d36f4b21aaf5bff928aeff8.jpg

d1bd060378708a7728dc124d6f5e67e7.jpg

The only things I would add / comment on would be:

1. Take a spare full set of keys and, preferably, don’t keep them in your locked pannier. Having watched someone drop their keys down a very deep gorge, along with one glove, I can assure you it only adds to the pain when a pannier is broken open to get the spare keys out….. oh, and you might as well have a spare set of gloves, too.

2. Take some basic security. Just a simple disc lock is better than nothing and than trusting entirely in the pound of butter in the fridge, as good as that might be.

Following on with regard to gloves make sure you have spares, summer , wet etc. But also remember riding day after day in a single pair of gloves will probably make your hands sore due to the seams rubbing over time so wear 1pr am 1pr pm as gloves normally don't have the seams in the same place. Also unless riding in mountains or below 0deg you are unlikely to need winter gloves but it is well worth getting some cheap silk gloves on ebay for about £5 to use as liners as they make a big difference if worn under normal touring gloves if it gets cold and they don't take up any room when packing or wearing. Riding in the wet waterproof gloves are fine until you take them off for refuel of coffee and you drag the lining out. To solve the glove liner problem push back in using you brake lever or pen as an alternative unlined gloves when raining.

Thanks Wapping and Simon good write-up

My only comments: shorts and flip flops.
Have some decency pack a pair of small shoes (boat shoes of anything compact) and a pair of decent trousers. :D :D

Agree with Richard in his post above. A decent disc lock at least.

I have the most common kph > mph conversions printed on my tank bag to save doing mental maths at every signpost

Also a bit of tape on the the windscreen on the side I’m supposed to be riding on, just as a handy reminder

Lifted unashamedly from Weir’s new guide ‘Europe for Bikers’ released this month; get a copy, it’s pretty good.

Lots of people know this stuff but quite a few don’t.

I echo Wappsies comments about this book....it really is a worthwhile addition to the trip planning armoury, as well as decent browse. I guess my days of big European 2 up trips are probably done due to being an ancient wreck but much of what he writes is equally applicable to a Volvo as a bike! Nice that Simon Weir signs and personalises it as well. Good buy.

I'm planning a 4 wheel meander around 'France profonde' in lieu of a bike trip this year and have already gleaned some ideas.

I echo Wappsies comments about this book....it really is a worthwhile addition to the trip planning armoury, as well as decent browse. I guess my days of big European 2 up trips are probably done due to being an ancient wreck but much of what he writes is equally applicable to a Volvo as a bike! Nice that Simon Weir signs and personalises it as well. Good buy.

I'm planning a 4 wheel meander around 'France profonde' in lieu of a bike trip this year and have already gleaned some ideas.

You are a seriously old bastard, younger than Micky though, but I'm glad that you're walking better!

A friend and I made a half lap of France last June. We had intended to do it on our motorbikes but his back wouldn't have stood it. Sensibly, we went in his car but took exactly the same D roads we would have taken, had we been on our motorbikes. It was, in a word, great.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...e-Mans-Millau-Provence-Rencurel-Morvan-Verdun

I’ve already got his two European books he published himself and it seems the routes for this one are from those two. Is it worthwhile buying this as well do you reckon?

A friend and I made a half lap of France last June. We had intended to do it on our motorbikes but his back wouldn't have stood it. Sensibly, we went in his car but took exactly the same D roads we would have taken, had we been on our motorbikes. It was, in a word, great.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...e-Mans-Millau-Provence-Rencurel-Morvan-Verdun

Ferries are full of people doing exactly that in cars and camper vans. We did it many times towing a caravan.

If you can't tell the difference between helpful advice and instructions, you probably should stay at home.....

With his wealth of experience and insight, he’ll no doubt have plenty of good advice to share with those less fortunate.

With his wealth of experience and insight, he’ll no doubt have plenty of good advice to share with those less fortunate.

I had best order one then.;)

If you need instructions on how to take a trip you should probably stay at home

I assume that was aimed at me.

I don’t see the issue with having a book giving helpful tips and tricks and also some routes.
Unfortunately a lot of us don’t have a lot of holiday time so we want to get the best out of going away so a book having proven routes is a blessing so we don’t spend time on dud roads.

Plus just because I’ve been doing something for one way for years that doesn’t mean there isn’t a better way of doing it and I feel if anyone is going to know Simon would be a best bet

I have ordered this, although I’ve ridden in Europe many times and 1,000s of miles I’m not too smug to get advice and ideas from a professional.

I would have ordered it from Simons website, but it’s £4.01 cheaper as on Amazon Prime.

Simon is pretty good, I am sure it is a handy book.

My favourite is "Motorcycle Journey's through the Alps and Beyond" which certainly helped me get the most out of the limited time I have to ride bikes around europe.

I am sure this book will be particularly useful to those wanting to travel further afield for the first time and have found the conflicting advice of bikermates on here very confusing ;-)

The only slight criticicm I have is often the Ride routes stick to more main roads than I would like and can bypass some real gems, but probably becuase they have to consider a wide skill range of readers, folk on everything from race replica's to goldwings, solo and two up, and possibly towing a trailer.

If nothing else it would be something to read on a damp saturday like today.

Back
Top Bottom