Cb500x suspension

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone had direct experience of after market suspension on one of these please?

Just had one out for a test ride, I so wanted to like it as a bike for going off on, given it sips petrol, but the suspension going over the Dales was poor, it kept throwing me out of my seat, it was like being on some old bus, at first I thought the seat deadened the handling but a few hours on it was not the experience I was hoping for, expecially given the suspension has been upgraded, it also seems a little underpowered and the windblast on the bypass heading back to the dealers was a bit much for my 6'3" stature.

Just had one out for a test ride, I so wanted to like it as a bike for going off on, given it sips petrol, but the suspension going over the Dales was poor, it kept throwing me out of my seat, it was like being on some old bus, at first I thought the seat deadened the handling but a few hours on it was not the experience I was hoping for, expecially given the suspension has been upgraded, it also seems a little underpowered and the windblast on the bypass heading back to the dealers was a bit much for my 6'3" stature.

Suspension upgraded to what - and set up for what weight rider?

I'm 6' and not slim. Took mine half way round the world, with a full load of luggage too and have to say the Tractive suspension was the best passive set-up I've ever experienced. Put the same set-up on my 850GS and it's had a similar effect. Completely transforms the bike...

It had the standard suspension, I thought the stock had been tweaked for 2022 year model, it was a new bike (demo) I am 80kg so would have thought your average weight for bike set up. The bike is £6.7k I suppose I expected it to be a little better, given all the other bikes I have ever ridden over that series of roads has not had the same effect.

You start adding aftermarket suspension that base price starts to shoot up and it’s not the cheap bike you want it to be and it moves it closer in cost terms to other better handling bikes like the Aprillia Toureg, which I have seen for 8k less than a year old. CB not so cheap then.

Not trying to slag to CB off, I was just surprised given most folk have good things to say about them straight out of the box.

What made you change the CB for the GS? Me I am looking for a 200kg bike, that can do some green landing, carry a tent, is frugal and reliable.

Me I am looking for a 200kg bike, that can do some green laning, carry a tent, is frugal and reliable.

Tenere 700 then - you can have a go on mine

Or if you are feeling brave a Tuareg 660

It had the standard suspension, I thought the stock had been tweaked for 2022 year model, it was a new bike (demo) I am 80kg so would have thought your average weight for bike set up. The bike is £6.7k I suppose I expected it to be a little better, given all the other bikes I have ever ridden over that series of roads has not had the same effect.

You start adding aftermarket suspension that base price starts to shoot up and it’s not the cheap bike you want it to be and it moves it closer in cost terms to other better handling bikes like the Aprillia Toureg, which I have seen for 8k less than a year old. CB not so cheap then.

Not trying to slag to CB off, I was just surprised given most folk have good things to say about them straight out of the box.

What made you change the CB for the GS? Me I am looking for a 200kg bike, that can do some green landing, carry a tent, is frugal and reliable.

CB500X out of the box ain't really up to green laning - not what it's intended for. CRF250/300L would be my pick...

Tenere 700 then - you can have a go on mine

Or if you are feeling brave a Tuareg 660

Funny you say brave enough regading the Toureg, I did a deal to get rid of my Scrambler and get one for an extra £200, but was unsure on buying one.

Why do you say brave enough? Aprillia as a brand

CB500X out of the box ain't really up to green laning - not what it's intended for. CRF250/300L would be my pick...

Would not necessarily be green laning, more when I head up into the Dales, I sometimes head down a lane or two. nothing excessive, just enough to keep my bad eyes in. It was the road manners of the CB that suprised me, I had not read or seen much about the suspension, I thought there was no chance I could take one off road if its pogoing on tarmac, without spending a wedge that takes up to Toureg / T7 range

I am off to Dolomites in a couple of months I supoose I have a couple of piste tracks to go up, thats my skill level

Funny you say brave enough regading the Toureg, I did a deal to get rid of my Scrambler and get one for an extra £200, but was unsure on buying one.

Why do you say brave enough? Aprillia as a brand

Well, if they’re discounting new ones after a few months after launch then you know what I mean

For sure it’s an interesting proposition with some good additional features over the Tenere 700, like tubeless rims/bit more power/cruise and allegedly better suspension

However I bet Yamaha sell 5-6 Tenere bikes to every Tuareg sold

Just my take, Sim

Well, if they’re discounting new ones after a few months after launch then you know what I mean

For sure it’s an interesting proposition with some good additional features over the Tenere 700, like tubeless rims/bit more power/cruise and allegedly better suspension

However I bet Yamaha sell 5-6 Tenere bikes to every Tuareg sold

Just my take, Sim

the Tuareg is better in more or less every department . yes the Tenere will outsell it but its definatly not the better bike , the Tuareg is a class act :okay

the Tuareg is better in more or less every department . yes the Tenere will outsell it but its definatly not the better bike , the Tuareg is a class act :okay

On paper, yes..............granted

But why aren't they outselling the T700 then, especially as now they're discounted they are cheaper than the Tenere?

Surely most people would be the Tuareg, better for less money...............why not?

I had a CB500X with Rally Raid level 3 suspension
IMHO it's a wast of time and certainly money too little travel geometry is all wrong
Found it crap off road

On paper, yes..............granted

But why aren't they outselling the T700 then, especially as now they're discounted they are cheaper than the Tenere?

Surely most people would be the Tuareg, better for less money...............why not?

on paper and on the road / trail

the reason im guessing is there's not so many Aprilia dealers , its not such a well know brand and people generally air on the side of caution and play it safe. Also there's reliability, we know buying a jap bike you will "generally" get something bulletproof and some Italian bikes certainly of the past maybe not so and I suspect that too.

but those people are missing out on a great bike :okay

on paper and on the road / trail

the reason im guessing is there's not so many Aprilia dealers , its not such a well know brand and people generally air on the side of caution and play it safe. Also there's reliability, we know buying a jap bike you will "generally" get something bulletproof and some Italian bikes certainly of the past maybe not so and I suspect that too.

but those people are missing out on a great bike :okay

You’re right
I have a dealer 4 miles away, might just have to try one

I had a CB500X with Rally Raid level 3 suspension
IMHO it's a wast of time and certainly money too little travel geometry is all wrong
Found it crap off road

Thats my concern. Its a lot of money to spend without trying it out first

Back
Top Bottom