New bike day

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1250 RS.

Collected this from the dealer today. My first brand new BMW.
5 miles home somehow turned into 45 miles:nenau:thumb2

Base model, with only one option ticked (heated grips). I was going to have the triple black colour scheme but £650 was a bit salty for some black paint so chose ‘Light White’. Really happy with it as I reckon the black offsets it nicely. I have a set of gloss black luggage to fit in due course, along with a centrestand, crash bars, bar risers , mudsling and DRL’s.

I was going to have the sport seat but after seeing one in the flesh it was almost identical to the Wunderlich ‘comfort’ seat which I tried on my previous RS and not comfortable at all.
Also originally ticked the straight bar option up but after sitting on a 1250R I didn’t like the angle of the grips at all, so that option was deselected.

Some might recall a K1300gt I had in the for sale section on here. That was part-ex against the RS after BMW sent an offer which added an additional £1000 to any part-ex.

Attachments

• 8923DFFD-289A-4BF2-A579-9BCF8B7084BB.jpg
    8923DFFD-289A-4BF2-A579-9BCF8B7084BB.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 490
  • 4C7D0F99-0A4C-4AA4-BD8C-22213453399F.jpg
    4C7D0F99-0A4C-4AA4-BD8C-22213453399F.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 486
I agree, that does look really good in white. Good choice.

I agree, that does look really good in white. Good choice.

Thanks chaps.

The white looked really bright on the BMW configurator but after seeing the same colour on a bike in the showroom it looks like it’s got a teeny weeny hint of grey in it.

Nice bike! I especially like the fact that you have gone for the base model, it’s the one that I would choose every time. Enjoy! :beerjug:

Rs

I remember having a test ride on the rs1250 when it was launched, I thought it was a really good bike if a little sterile, but we all have different opinions, good luck with the new bike.

Enjoy.

I’ll soon be dragging my almost 8 year old banger out of hibernation.

I also went for a fairly basic model with only my critical extras. Then fitted custom suspension. Still love it.

I’ve been fitting a few bits— Voight bar risers, Grip Puppies, mudsling, light bar, Nav cradle and Nav 6 and recoded the Nav lock barrel to my key.

The wiring connector for the Nav took some finding. I couldn’t find one on the offside where they are normally cable tied behind the side panel. Found one in plain sight on the nearside but the Nav plug wouldn’t plug in. I later realised, and confirmed by my dealer, that’s this is the connector for the foglights.:blast

After speaking to the dealer to establish if the base models came equipped with the Nav plug and where it is situated,they checked some of their bikes for me and told me the Nav plug is still on the offside but tucked right back near the top of the radiator.
Remove the side panel, (being careful with the indicator wire)and it’s just visible above the rad. I removed one more screw holding a little plastic shield in place which made it fiddly but possible.
It’s really noticeable how much smaller these bikes are ,compared to the GS, when doing little jobs like this. Space and access are limited.

Next job is fitting some foglights/ DRL’s to the light bar. I’ve got a BMW accessory wire to attach inline to the rear of the usb socket on the dash to give an ignition controlled power source. Just need to find a suitable position for an on/off switch. No wires will be spliced , tapped or butchered.:thumb2

Looks great. Was thinking of returning to one, but decided on a Multistrada Rally and placed deposit. Trouble is, I see the RS and already wonder if it would be the better choice. My passenger couldn’t get on with the RS, but following a serious accident last summer she’s given up bikes. Cheers!

Very nice. I’ve got one booked for a test ride when my GS is in for a service. Can’t afford it but looking forward to taking it out for a play!

They are a fantastic piece of kit for fast B roads and A roads although at slower speeds, or on rough roads, the firm suspension can be irritating. It needs a bit more speed than a GS before everything settles down and the suspension starts working.

Luggage racks fitted

Fitted the topbox rack and pannier racks today.

Attachments

• C694AA4B-34CF-453D-9C68-0D3FF4291651.jpg
    C694AA4B-34CF-453D-9C68-0D3FF4291651.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 180
Don’t BMW make matching panniers for the bike ?

Not a clue. These are BMW panniers in Storm Black Metallic and match the black bits:augie.
I made a conscious decision to have black ones as I don’t like white panniers and topbox. I’d need a ‘Polite’ jacket if I put white boxes on it…

Back
Top Bottom