Charging a Laptop from the bike?

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is this even possible?

I want to charge a laptop during a days riding so its good to use at night (i am camping)

also on a similar subject, can anyone recommend an armoured case?
the floppy cloth thing i have is useless for travelling.

for reference, power needs and size my laptop is (This one)

Ok,

Been googling and for those that are wondering

It seems the best way is to use one of THESE

Charge that during a ride from USB, and then charge the laptop with it at the end of the ride.

First question is, do you need a laptop or would a tablet still be enough to do whatever it is the laptop is being taken for?

Ok,

Charge that during a ride from USB, and then charge the laptop with it at the end of the ride.

That would be my solution as well as it is a much less cumbersome / bulky thing to plug into the bike

As for cases i had a Peli case laptop case when i used to take my mac book on the bike ( i cant be arsed these days ) but they are IMO the safest bet - waterproof, tough as old boots etc

https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/...zmNrvhuU3HmUD-Fsq2zBwFUkNeKxYouUaApywEALw_wcB

First question is, do you need a laptop or would a tablet still be enough to do whatever it is the laptop is being taken for?

exactly - a 10" Android tablet that charges from USB is all I need on a trip. Costs under £100 and is not a ballache if it gets nicked, dropped or wet.

Of course, if one was working a few hours whilst away and the laptop has been provided by an employer, then that is another matter. Never applies in my case.

My jump start thingy will output 19v which it says is for laptop charging, charge from usb while riding to keep it topped up, never tried myself, the only time I took a laptop on a trip I charged in Hotel and ran on battery if required

Ok,

Does that model laptop charge over USB C/Thunderbolt?

I want to do Video editing, even if it can be done on a tablet, i haven't got one lol

That would be my solution as well as it is a much less cumbersome / bulky thing to plug into the bike

As for cases i had a Peli case laptop case when i used to take my mac book on the bike ( i cant be arsed these days ) but they are IMO the safest bet - waterproof, tough as old boots etc

https://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk/...zmNrvhuU3HmUD-Fsq2zBwFUkNeKxYouUaApywEALw_wcB

I will check that case out thanks

My jump start thingy will output 19v which it says is for laptop charging, charge from usb while riding to keep it topped up, never tried myself, the only time I took a laptop on a trip I charged in Hotel and ran on battery if required

I have a NOCO GB40 i wonder if that does it?

Does that model laptop charge over USB C/Thunderbolt?

Yes it does, all the ports are, i had to check lol

I would consider a tablet and an Anker power bank.

This should power more than enough while you’re riding although not connected to the bike.

https://www.anker.com/uk/products/a1289

That looks like a beast!

If you’re video editing on a laptop I would definitely look into that anker

How does the laptop charge now?

Mains charger?

What is the plug?

Does it have a USB socket for charging?

Bear in mind, even if the laptop charges via the USB-C socket, this is not going to be the 5V from a standard USB outlet e.g. if you plug a laptop into a docking station or screen via USB-C then the mains powered device will be offering up to 20VDC to the laptop via the USB-C port. This is why you need an intermediary device like the Anker thing, that can trickle charge at 5V then whack out 20V at sufficient current to charge the laptop.

Get what ever car charger the manufacturer recommends and fit a euro din plug socket and plug, it will be more robust than any usb/power pack charging system where you'll be changing 12v-5v-12v-19v. Why charge a second battery when the laptop has one already, you'll be charging one battery from the other. Can you get a larger battery for the laptop or are you happy with the performance.

How does the laptop charge now?

Mains charger?

What is the plug?

Does it have a USB socket for charging?
It's a jack type like that
It can be charged through type C usb too

f201fd254a22795293522c7e78ac0ae2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

something like this maybe, TAIFU 100W Universal Laptop Car Charger. search on google.

Back
Top Bottom