Temporary insurance

Billy Buell

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My son is coming home from Oz for a few weeks in aug/sept and i would like to insure one of my bikes for him to ride. Looking for advice as to what's the best/cheapest way to do it. My insurance won't add him to my policy as we can with a car. Any comments welcome.

The only way I've managed to do this was to add the rider to my insurance for the full duration of the policy. It was MCE at the time.

The rider and his wife were in the UK for six weeks a few years ago and wanted to tour.

They are Argentinian with an International Driving Licence and that is the only way I could do it with my XRV750.

It was expensive but they got their holiday.

The went back to Buenos Aires and the very next day the speeding ticket dropped on my doormat.

Mmmmm i thought that might be the case. He's only been back 3 times in the last 12 years , 1- knackered clutch on mums car 2 - wrote mums car off 3 - speeding ticket , so not the best record but he's calmed down a bit :D
Can a bike be insured by 2 people at the same time ?

My son is coming home from Oz for a few weeks in aug/sept and i would like to insure one of my bikes for him to ride. Looking for advice as to what's the best/cheapest way to do it. My insurance won't add him to my policy as we can with a car. Any comments welcome.
Did you manage to get cover? Similar situation here(Ireland) with a relative coming from Australia for 30days. He comes here every 12/24months have has a bike stored here however now cannot get insurance due to residency and Australian license, this despite the fact that he's ex-NSW motorcycle cop and holds a motorcyclist training license plus Australian's drive on the left..!!

friend came back from Oz . insured in his dad's car £400 for the month .
because he is no longer domiciled here it was costly. insurance company checked his license , but knew he lived in Oz.

The best i could find was Bikesure at £300 for a fortnight on my R9T. No one would touch him for my 15 year old Tuono or my GS. We got a few good rides in.The main reason seems to be that he hasn't ridden a road bike here having left the UK 13 years ago , before he passed his test. He passed it in Aus in 2013 and has gone onto his UK licence.
It is quite different with the cars. The cheapest way was to have him as a named driver for the full year on my Disco and my wifes Beetle , just over £100 for the two.
He and his family are flying back home tomorrow and he hasn't wrecked anything this time ........

Back
Top Bottom