All bikes banned in Natural Park of the High Pyrenees

I like loud pipes. I might get over it one day but doubt it. I don't have the bike to ride like a idiot though.

I like loud pipes. I might get over it one day but doubt it. I don't have the bike to ride like a idiot though.

My Monster has a GPR loud exhaust on it and my Harley has the Supertrapp 2-1s and also very loud.

However my wife's Heritage has long shots on it and they're REALLY loud.

Excellent for when you are riding near deer and such like.

My Monster has a GPR loud exhaust on it and my Harley has the Supertrapp 2-1s and also very loud.

However my wife's Heritage has long shots on it and they're REALLY loud.

Excellent for when you are riding near deer and such like.

Nice.
I don't have a loud pipes save lives patch though.;)

I often tell them that if they are that good then they should go on track and race and prove it before walking away.

Not with loud pipes they won't. :D
To be fair I started not bothering with exhausts at all after moving to the UK (where weirdly there is way less regulation over exhausts for street use compared to Italy) because of all the noise testing I have to do every year on track.

Tbf the issue in high-bike traffic zones is not really strictly one bike with loud pipes but overall dickish behaviour from some.
You can roll into a small town with a loud bike, keeping it at very low revs without being much of a nuisance. Or you can be a pain in the ass revving uselessly you shitty-can-equipped 125cc all the way to the parking lot and make 8x the racket.

The Portuguese article says pretty much the same as the first article posted at the beginning of this thread.
Still no links to an official communication on the matter.

more detail naming the park as Natural Park of the High Pyrenees or in Spanish Parc Natural de l'Alt Pirineu
https://motomais.motosport.com.pt/m...e-motos-no-parque-natural-dos-altos-pirineus/ - in foreign but Google or Att will translate

https://goo.gl/maps/f6ZtoSbrh5MfrW6w6 - a very small area west of Andorra and east of the lovely C28 from Sort to Vielha. See the picture in post #26 as some off roading will be affected.

That area has a nice long trail that comes out near the Baquera ski resort. I think its aslo home to some bears that are extra protected during their breeding season.
The minority fook everything up for the majority. Get an ebike qnd spare battery

How small and area is does not matter, the area will expand, look at ULEZ zones in London, soon it will encompass anywhere within the M25.

Of course what should happen is the current laws are enforced, banning the 95% or so legal motorcyclists from an entire area because of the 5% that run loud pipes is insane, a copper could hand out thousands in fines in a few hours - covering the cost of said copper and providing extra Police resources. But no, lets just ban all bikers to please those who (legimtamely in many cases) moan about them.

Dickish behaviour does not help for sure, and you can sure make a lot of noise even with a leal exhaust, but many people who fit a nosiy exhaust are dead keen of showing off how loud it is at all times, and others are just bloody loud, living at the edge of town I get it all day long on nice summer days, and its abysmal in spring on the first few nice days, about 50m from me is the last house in town, the 50 zone does not start for another 100m or so, but these noisy bastards cross the roundabout and nail it, right next to a heavily used path that leads to a meadow popular with familes and dog walkers.

When my boy was a baby I was taking him ou in his buggy for a whiz around the park, just down from the roundabout when some c*** on a Gixxer came off this roundabout and nailed it to the limiter in 1st and 2nd, passing us at full chat in 2nd, probably about 80mph in a 30 with his race pipe, scaring the shit out of my boy, and bikers think they are unfairly singled out?

90% of the damage "we" do to oursleves could be easily avoided, some is inevitable, it is hard to enjoy our ICE machines without making some noise and wherever we do this someone will hear it and moan about it, but we could help a lot by not fitting really loud pipes, and thinking about where we are before opening it up.

As for tourism you can already see many Hotel websites removing the "motorcyclist" tabs from their pages, preferring to target walkers and cyclists, I suspect some see mentioning motorcyclists as likely to put off other potential guests who may not like to be awoken by a load of noisty bikes heading out early, or listening to a group of bikermates talking as loudly as they can about how fast there were going earlier in the day over dinner.

I was looking forward to be able to go on long trips abroad when I retire, as that is 14,15,16 years away - when I left school I thought I could retire at 65, now 67, by the time I am 67 it could be 70, anyway, I am not convinced my fossil fuel burning vehicle will be allowed to go anywhere worth going in a decades time at this rate.

That area has a nice long trail that comes out near the Baquera ski resort. I think its aslo home to some bears that are extra protected during their breeding season.
The minority fook everything up for the majority. Get an ebike qnd spare battery

That's one of them Mick and that whole area within a radius of about 50 kms. They counted about 80 bears when they woke up last week :)

For comparison the park is just a little smaller than Dartmoor national park, a park with a 40mph limit. Any blanket ban would have the effect of making that area bigger though as any roads leading into it would most certainly not be on many people routes. As we mostly trail ride from a central base, the area would become a lot less accessible unless you want to circumnavigate the park and you wouldn't be able to short cut home through the park.
The Picos has been like this for years with certain road restrictions, it was once a very popular trail riding destination with easy access from ferry routes. This is no longer the case and there are now further road restrictions in the foothills outside of the park.

The upshot of this seems to be:

1. Nobody knows if the story behind the opening post is accurate

2. If it is accurate, the area affected is quite small

3. Similar closures have been going on for some time

4. Most of the rest of Spain, Portugal and France is open for business as normal

5. Health and well-being are the new mantras and they’ll only grow

The upshot of this seems to be:

1. Nobody knows if the story behind the opening post is accurate

2. If it is accurate, the area affected is quite small

3. Similar closures have been going on for some time

4. Most of the rest of Spain, Portugal and France is open for business as normal

5. Health and well-being are the new mantras and they’ll only grow

Yes, the ban is in force and has been since last July, from a local on-line new source I just found:

"The municipalities of Alt Àneu, Alins and Farrera, in Pallars Sobirà, have received the certificate certifying that a part of the Alt Pirineu Natural Park has a Special Acoustic Quality Protection Zone (ZEPQA).

In fact, this came into force this Thursday and aims to preserve silence in order to ensure that the only sounds heard in this space come from nature. For this reason, it has been necessary to apply several restrictions on the passage of recreational vehicles, such as motorbikes, quad bikes and buggies, as a noise limit of less than 50 decibels is established."

50 decibel is incredibly low noise.

Don't think this affects only motorbike. I think (not 100% sure) that the noise level for new cars (engine/tyres/transmission) is around 70db.
Keep in mind the scale is logarithmic.

Not considering what we discussed before, with the advent of different type of traction (hybrid/ev) noise pollution will be an increasingly bigger issue as people will start to be more sensitive to it. One thing is a louder vehicle over the constant drone of traffic, different thing is a single vehicle going through relative silence. Modern cars are already incredibly silent, all you hear is tyre noise most times when traveling at slower speeds.

It's gonna be a pain in the ass. :)

seems they will still have tractors, chainsaws and logging trucks plus farmers on quads

"The limitations that this establishes exclude the works of improvement and maintenance of public interest, traditional festivals and the agricultural, livestock and forestry activities specific to the area."

Yes, the ban is in force and has been since last July, from a local on-line new source I just found:

"The municipalities of Alt Àneu, Alins and Farrera, in Pallars Sobirà, have received the certificate certifying that a part of the Alt Pirineu Natural Park has a Special Acoustic Quality Protection Zone (ZEPQA).

In fact, this came into force this Thursday and aims to preserve silence in order to ensure that the only sounds heard in this space come from nature. For this reason, it has been necessary to apply several restrictions on the passage of recreational vehicles, such as motorbikes, quad bikes and buggies, as a noise limit of less than 50 decibels is established."

Thank you, Simon. At least we know the restriction is real and its purpose.

There is certainly a misfit on the forum. There are the wild campers, who regularly seek out the ‘silent’ spots and those that refuse to hotel overnight in a town. There is then some outrage that an attractive area (even if it is small) is rendered silent and returned to nature.

Here we go, we’re mightier than you gs cvnts

As for tourism you can already see many Hotel websites removing the "motorcyclist" tabs from their pages, preferring to target walkers and cyclists….

That is definitely true. Entire websites, particularly those sponsored or run by regional tourist agencies, have been redesigned and references to motorcycles dropped. In brief, the world is changing. The only real exception is the Wallonia region of southern Belgium, who are still promoting motorcycling in parallel to other activities.

That being said, Western Europe is still a vast area. Nobody is suggesting that the whole place is policed or indeed that bikes will be banned from the northern tip of Finland to the bottom tip of Spain. Just be vaguely sensible and don’t behave like a nob all the time or the restrictions (such as they are) will only increase.

Back
Top Bottom