Motorcycle lighting regulations is Spain

MIKE R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've just returned from a fly/ride break in Spain

I know it is compulsory to have your headlight on at all times but during my trip I saw many GSAs and I can't recall one riding with their spots on.

The tour leader thought that is was against Spanish law to ride in daylight with spotlights illuminated.

As I will be returning to Spain in June does anyone know if it legal or not to ride with your spotlights switched on on daylight?

Cheers

Mike

It is certainly illegal to speed but bods do it a lot. I wouldn’t worry about the legality or otherwise of spotlights being on or off. That being said, anything that reduces the glare of a million suns is to be applauded.

I was stopped by police in Spain last year., had my aux lights on but they're on a dimmer only running as DRL's (on 20% power)

Nothing was said by said police.

As I understand it there are 3 options for aux lights; they are either DRLs, fog lights or spotlights to provide additional distance lighting.

Spain has now approved DRLs for daytime use on motorcycles, when previously the main headlight also had to be used full time.

Fog lights are intended to be used ......... only in fog or conditions of poor visibility such as heavy rain/spray.

Spotlights or driving lights are intended to be used only in conditions when main beam lighting can be used, so presumably would need to switch in only with main beam selection.

Otherwise I can't see anything specific in Spanish regs. Have a check through yourself: -

........ https://spanishtrafficlaw.es/sectio...ting/article-100-long-range-or-road-lighting/

So MartinK would appear to be correct, with his auxiliary positioning lights of reduced intensity, effectively aux DRLs.

Dazzling other drivers is certainly unacceptable as you might expect & when parked/stopped, lights must be on dipped beam. There are also some odd rules about flashing lights & indicators, but nothing that might snare the unsuspecting GSer. Usually May is the month when Spanish plod focus on the motorcycle fraternity, mainly speeding & riding standards at the weekend, along with random morning breath tests.

Many thanks for your thoughts

Mike

I was stopped by police in Spain last year., had my aux lights on but they're on a dimmer only running as DRL's (on 20% power)

Nothing was said by said police.

Trouble is that one persons experience does not change nor make any laws.

Trouble is that one persons experience does not change nor make any laws.

No, but I was already trying to be correct, by running the AUX lights as DRL. They also come on with full beam at 100%

I understand this to be correct as per Squib's comments

It's NOT legal to run fog lights or spot lights in daylight. See

You MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226) as they dazzle other road users and can obscure your brake lights. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves.
Law RVLR regs 25 & 27

More reading for you, BobT should you desire https://www.autopartspro.co.uk/tips-advice/led-fog-lights-1915

I suppose it's a case of when in doubt, keep them turned off.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom