What the heck is this noise from my rear end

iain1067

Reaction score
Ok first up it's not a GS it's my K1300r, it started making this noise recently, been back to the place where i bought it all week the mechanic says nothing wrong they say they have had it all apart and checked everything, kardan out blah blah stone cold makes no noise hot or warm makes the noise, been back from picking up 5 hours now still noisy. I am pretty pissed to say the least i have done less than 20o km's on it.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sZFyBqE1Njk

Sorry for youtube link was the easiest way to send a video to the dealer.

Thoughts please, i have posted here as I know there thousands more Gs's than K1300's trying to tap into the knowledge pool.

Many thanks

Iain

It sounds like a dry seal.... At that speed.. Does it get louder the faster you go? Can you hear it when actually riding or just putting in garage?

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

It could be but which one and where?, yes I only hear it in the garage not on the road

the noise like a tyre on a painted workshop floor, sounds like a new tyre on a painted workshop floor - push on tarmac does it still do it
but whats the almighty great donk - that doesn't sound good, or is that the person pushing tripping over the side stand ?

It could be but which one and where?, yes I only hear it in the garage not on the road

OMG if its not the donk, u wasted their time because a tyre on shiny floor makes a noise ?

Sell it and buy a Harley then you will really have something to worry about

So the donk is me knocking the sidestand with the rear wheel off the ground with a stand that goes through the centre of rear drive it still makes the noise, i thought first of all it was new tyres on shiney floor but the clicking can be felt if you put your hand on the rear drive and rotate the wheel, it does it with wheel off as well.

Has the drive shaft been removed completely and both uj s checked properly?

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Not sure if the K1300 had the output ( wheel side ) FD bearing in the oil bath or was it like the pre 2010 GS I.e. a pre lubricated double sealed bearing which dry out especially if the bike is pressure washed. Have seen these bearings full of rust and making a terrible noise.

What is the loud Clunk ?? Is that the noise you are worried about ?

Is it just the low sound of like a shaft running in a bearing ??

Being honest The Donk sound sounds like a worn propshaft UJ clunking over OR ball bearings in a Ball race catching up and binding and then releasing They DEFINTELY NEED CHECKED before riding again!!!

Low volume noise does sound a bit like tyres on a painted floor Try lying a runner of carpet and see if it disappears

Move over painted surface and then onto carpet in one continuous push ???

I'm pretty sure you get a drain bung on the K1300 bevel - is that an indicator you get a better lubed bearing ?

I'm pretty sure you get a drain bung on the K1300 bevel - is that an indicator you get a better lubed bearing ?

Drain plug is not an indication as the 08-09 GS had a drain plug but the output bearing was Not in the oil bath.
Changed some of these bearings at very low mileage through folk pressure washing them before putting the bike away.

Well have just spent a couple of hours in the garage, with the wheel off and the weight off the bike there is no noise, put the wheel back on and put it on the floor the noise is there, i have regreased the shaft not that it need it i have only done 200km on it and drained a refilled the drive as well today, interesting that the fluid was golden colour going in and now it has a green tinge to it. So back to square one, the DONK sound has nothing to do with drive that was me.

The comment about ball bearings binding up and releasing I think is the most likely culprit, out where I live it's unlikely I can find someone to rebuild it at the moment the ball is now back in the dealers court I don't think they touched it not a screw has been taken out of the unit when I was told they had it all apart and checked.

Just had a look at the K1300 parts Microfiche. You do not state the year of your bike?
On the parts list I looked at for the K1300 it showed the same bearing part number as the pre twin cam GS. BMW 33 11 7 720 235 Which is a 65 x 10 x 18 Bearing with 2 seals.
I have used SKF Explorer series bearings as replacements SKF 6013-2RS , which a a fraction of the price of the BMW part.
I have replaced these without removing the final drive . just remove the wheel then the outer casing with crown wheel. you will need a press and heat to dismantle and re-assemble.
Note..... This is on a pre-2010 GS I have no experience of the K1300 FD .
Changing the oil if it is like the GS will make no difference as it is a sealed pre lubricated 2RS bearing.

Just thought.... Do you have a rear hugger or any other accessories near the tire?

Sent from my M2007J22G using Tapatalk

Hi sorry my bike is 2010 and no I don't have a rear hugger, unfortunately I don't have a press but could get map gas for heat if that would be sufficient? @Mistacat could you please give me an idea of the type of press needed I might be able to borrow tools .

Ok so i got some homework to do with bearings etc. many thanks so far for the help

Home work complete for now it is the same bearing on K1300r, so what else out of the parts bin do i need seals, O rings??

Back
Top Bottom