Recommendations for Mapsource

(RIP) Shenzi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Given that I do not want to take my laptop on the road what is the minimum I need to run Mapsource? Is there a sort of mini laptop? Will a PDA do it? Maybe a second hand low spec laptop?
This isn't in any way necessary but it might be fun having the ability to change any routes I have when I am actually on the road.

Unless you want to change the maps you have loaded, isn't it simpler to edit your routes on the GPS itself? It's a bit more fiddly but doesn't require a laptop :)

Bring copies of the map CD's, a CD with the latest MapSource version, and your unlock code. This you can install on any PC out there.

This is perfectly legal since the installation can only be used to feed your own GPS with maps or routes.

Mouse said:
Unless you want to change the maps you have loaded, isn't it simpler to edit your routes on the GPS itself? It's a bit more fiddly but doesn't require a laptop :)
HMR said:
Bring copies of the map CD's, a CD with the latest MapSource version, and your unlock code. This you can install on any PC out there.This is perfectly legal since the installation can only be used to feed your own GPS with maps or routes.

Thanks guys. Clearly I didn't explain myself well. I would like to buy the smallest unit possible to be able to edit my routes on the road and maybe download some pics on to it. If I have to buy a second hand laptop that is OK. What I need to know is the minimum spec to run Mapspource, just another toy really :cool:

Shenzi said:
If I have to buy a second hand laptop that is OK. What I need to know is the minimum spec to run Mapspource, just another toy really :cool:
It is possible (not enjoyable) to run on a laptop with P133, 32 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD and Win98SE. But a machine of that age doesn't have USB so it depends on your GPS if it is of any use to you.

A toshiba libretto would be just the ticket but the new ones are kind of expensive.

Thanks Mzokk and PRR, exactly the info I needed! Just tried to buy a Tosh Libretto on US Ebay but it was too expensive. I may try for a Dell C400 on UK Ebay. The OQO mini is the dogs but I wouldn't dare even mention that to SWMBO. Unfortunately someone taught her 'The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys', I hadn't ever heard it in French but she is now spreading it around! :eek:

Shenzi said:
I may try for a Dell C400 on UK Ebay.

I bought a 2nd hand "Dell Latitude LS" (500Mhz, 12Gb hard drive, USB port etc..) several years ago (2001 I think) for the very reason you want one. It's not as small as some that are on the market now but it is small enough to wrap in you jeans when you pack your bags.
I've looked again recently because the Dell is giving up. Sharp do a very neat small one but it's £1200. All the other makes seem to be around that price for the really small ones.
Have a look at this from PC world :-
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...fm=0&sm=1&tm=4&sku=187029&category_oid=-21358
Depends how much you want to pay.

woolworths do a cheap laptop? medion unit with dvd/cd writer usb's etc 40gig hd intel celeron windows xp etc only £399!!!

HP used to have a thing called an Omnibook 800 - about 1/2 size of a normal laptop very compact and light weight. I don't know what processor it has but I still use an old Omnibook 4150 ,about 7 years old , now and mapsource runs fine on it.

You might like to look out for a secondhand Sony Vaio picture book (C1VE series) It has USB, memory stick reader, PCMCIA slot, etc. is very small, has a small PSU as well good screen resolution.

Nick

Dell on EBAY

Might be worth looking at the Dell Outlet site on EBAY. If you get the timing right you can get a good deal there. :D

P

Back
Top Bottom