WOW I now have a front brake

BOB UK

Reaction score
WOW I now have a front brake :D

Just to pass on some good news on the airhead front I finally got my finger out and replaced my front disc
I got a cast disc from :bow motorworks and a set of ferodo pads £80 for the disc and £16 for the pads I still just have the standard 2 pot calliper
With the new disc a strange new thing now happens if I pull on the leaver on the right handlebar the front of the bike dives down and I come to a stop
All I can say is wow well worth it for the improvement over the old set up
STAY SAFE OUT THERE BOB

Anyone tried the Motorworks four pot conversion? Not that I find the brakes too bad now that I've started using more than two fingers to brake with! How servo brakes spoil you!!

JAY said:
Anyone tried the Motorworks four pot conversion?

yes. not much cop IMO. i still had stainless rotor then though.

JAY said:
Not that I find the brakes too bad now that I've started using more than two fingers to brake with! How servo brakes spoil you!!

wait 'til you try it with passenger + luggage :D

i have one of these kits fitted now with the original P9 brembo caliper (4 pot doesn't fit).

he7fm.jpg

:thumb :thumb :thumb

ps. i don't think motorworks supply machined 4pot calipers any more. may have gone milky about the liability issue :nenau

JAY said:
Anyone tried the Motorworks four pot conversion? Not that I find the brakes too bad now that I've started using more than two fingers to brake with! How servo brakes spoil you!!
I've had the 4 pot conversion plus a cast disc on mine for a couple of years now - works nicely although still no stoppies!

BOB UK said:
WOW I now have a front brake :D

Just to pass on some good news on the airhead front I finally got my finger out and replaced my front disc
I got a cast disc from :bow motorworks and a set of ferodo pads £80 for the disc and £16 for the pads I still just have the standard 2 pot calliper
With the new disc a strange new thing now happens if I pull on the leaver on the right handlebar the front of the bike dives down and I come to a stop
All I can say is wow well worth it for the improvement over the old set up
STAY SAFE OUT THERE BOB

Have you fitted a stainless goodridge hose yet?, gives a bit more feel and if you have the original rubber one it will probably be past its best. Should be no more than £30 for the hose.

Frank Warner said:
:dabone

Removal of the original bmw abs system may lead to MOT failure. :D

Not much of a problem on a R100GS its not fitted :D . ABS is an acronym for all brakes shite on these early models.

Mine improved with a cast disc, caliper rebuild and a decent line. Fettled back brake the old fashioned way. Cleaned out and deglazed the hub, bed in the brake shoes by removing high spots, greasing cam, cable and pivot makes some difference. brakes are still poor by modern standards but R100's are fine if ridden within the limits of 1980's technology.

Rear shoes

I have already fitted a goodridge hose I did a calliper rebuild and some new pads when I first got the bike about 3 years ago but didn’t replace the disc as I was a bit short of cash at the time

Now the front is shorted what about the back end

Next question has any one tried fitting a different make of rear shoes to try and improve the rear drum brake
When I was at the local BMW dealer CW in Dorchester they said that the rear shoes are so hard that they never wear out so I’m thinking that some after market shoes might be softer and might not last as long but might work better has any one any experience of this ?

I have done the same as you thornley and have deglazed and cleaned up the rear shoes which did improve it but I’m interested in getting it to work better

6 Pot

I went for the Harrison Billet 6-Pot along with a cast disk.
I am not sure if I would buy another rusty cast disk but the 6-pot caliper is a godsend.
Most braking is now 2-finger fully loaded 2-up.
Front suspension must be upgraded to take the brake.
The Twist/torque effect of a single brake of this power can be felt so like most tweaks there is more to it then just the nuts and bolts.

harrison caliper

hi elray,
was interested to see you've splashed out on the Harrison billet - I'm thinking of doing the same for my r80gs basic. Any more info I should know? £300+ is a lot but if it avoids one accident I guess it's worth it... I have the k1100RS twin pot caliper on but it's not great, especially 2 up. greatly appreciative of any advice you may have. all best

when i got my bike,it had the cast front disc and braided goodrige hose on with standard caliper,seemed ok but i felt the forks flexing to one side a bit.

i have now fitted the lower fork brace (thanks migsel :thumb ) ,bar risers and wp fork springs .
now seems much better. :)

From reading the first posting am I correct in seeing an implication that the rotor on my 1988 R100GS may be the primary reason for such poor braking action from the front? I am prepared to try the stainless brake line as I still have the original on my bike but was surprised to find the rotor may also be a culprit. Only my CX500 surpasses the GS in terms of poor front brakes!

After looking at all the different options I think that if you replace the front disc with a cast one fit a good set of pads it’s about the most cost effective way of improving the brakes :thumb
There is a lot more you can do but for the cost I think this is about the best option
but that’s only what I think I’m sure some one will tell me I’m wrong !!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Buy a Billitt

Yes, it works great with a billet 6 pot. Look no further, unless your a skin flint :D

hokoboko said:
hi elray,
was interested to see you've splashed out on the Harrison billet - I'm thinking of doing the same for my r80gs basic. Any more info I should know? £300+ is a lot but if it avoids one accident I guess it's worth it... I have the k1100RS twin pot caliper on but it's not great, especially 2 up. greatly appreciative of any advice you may have. all best

Harrison billet caliper ??

PAH !

THIS is what ya want..................

Yamaha XTZ750 front end transplant...

:D :D :D

Attachments

• c.JPG
    c.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 340
HE-Motorradtechnik do they work?

Cookie

Not trying to steal this thread but I would appreciate your comments. I see on your 07-02-06 post that you have the HE-Motorradtechnik 320 Rotor how did that work out. I have been tempted to order it but haven't found anybody running it to get their input. The rotor on my 95 R100GSPD Classic looks like a BMW wave washer and a back up I bought for the carrier is just as bent. Both carriers are shot and I don't intend to stay with the 285 diameter rotors if there is an alternative out there. Stateside we have M.A.P. doing a 320mm diameter rotor but he requires a straight carrier core to mount his rotor to, I don't intend to drop over 300$ US on the BMW to get a good carrier and then have MAP do his 400$ upgrade. Thats why HE-Motorradtechnik looks so interesting.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Big Joe

Back
Top Bottom