The Route for region 6

Lucy

Around Britain Challenge 2006 region 6 & 7 rider
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
250 miles should take approximately 7 hours
abertoliver.gif

It's on Thursday, at least that's what I've been told.

I just need to clarify my role of co-ordinator for this leg with Lucy, does this mean the route posted is 'gospel' or shall I tweak it ;) ?

If that is the case there is a good chance I won't be able to help. Students back in college, means I won't be able to pick my holidays. :(

Might be able to help from mid afternoon/evening, if that's any help? :) but only nearer home, maybe Bangor through to Rhyl. Meet you from one of the bridges across the Menai Straits?

:bounce1 :bounce1

Hi Lucy,

This event has been mentioned on my stable diet forum - the F650 Forum - and I would be VERY interested to both help and take part?

Knowing almost all of the roads shown for this leg myself - both on bike and in car - may I put a question mark against the suggested time of 7 hours?

I feel that would be the minimum without any allowance for delays and certainly wouldn't include any time for refuelling or rest stops? The state of the "A" roads in some parts of this route are so "bendy" and narrow to allow my 650 to easily pull away from any 1150 too! True, when we get to the A55 Express Way you bigger boyz will have the edge but for more than half this route horse-power won't get you any time adavantage . . . hence my question mark against the overall time?

:bounce1

Hendreforgan said:
: The state of the "A" roads in some parts of this route are so "bendy" and narrow to allow my 650 to easily pull away from any 1150 too! True,

Hey I'm the one from cuckoo land :rolleyes: :D

hi-good luck for the trip, love to join for a bit if Ive got time, please call in to moelfre (a5025)anglesey, we`ve got a cafe and a takeaway here, you`re very welcome for a free lunch/tea/breakfast stop-ann`s pantry and caban laura

bigwelsh said:
hi-good luck for the trip, love to join for a bit if Ive got time, please call in to moelfre (a5025)anglesey, we`ve got a cafe and a takeaway here, you`re very welcome for a free lunch/tea/breakfast stop-ann`s pantry and caban laura

Hey is that down on the sea front? I used to stop there sometimes when I was landscape gardening in the area, I lived down the road at Tyn y Gongl. :)

timolgra said:
Hey I'm the one from cuckoo land :rolleyes: :D

Then you should agree with me that given the fact that in September there will still be holiday traffic about . . . and that could easily include convoys of caravans and "Saga" coaches . . . that it's cutting it too fine to complete the 250+ miles in 7 hours? You'll note that much of the road from Mach to Dolgellau is so narrow that they can't even paint the white line in the middle of this "A" road!

Don't get me wrong, if it can be done, let's do it. However, at the risk of upsetting the inhabitants of Ynys Mon I wonder if the circuit of the Island should be included?

In "Region 2" the Isle of Wight has been left out - ok it can only be reached by ferry - but it is a more significant part of the UK coastline than Ynys Mon . . . damn . . . won't be able to go there again without a disguise!

I lived on Anglesey for 7 years and yes it may well be worth cutting that section out, I'll ride the route sometime and time it. Theres loads of time to sort the route out yet.

timolgra said:
I lived on Anglesey for 7 years and yes it may well be worth cutting that section out, I'll ride the route sometime and time it. Theres loads of time to sort the route out yet.

Timolgra, honestly there isn't that much time... we have to get these routes organised by 5.3.2006 latest, some sponsors may want to buy a leg of the route plus we have to get the PR and any other marketing literature typed out (if there is time) to show each route that has been agreed ... once we adopt the route and go to regional press we won't be able to change or adjust it.

I've posted another thread in the information section if it helps.... :)

Starting at:-
Aberystwyth
Lat/Lon N52 24.591 W4 05.114
OS Map ref SN 58263 81143

Finishing at the Shell garage on Crosby Road North:
Lat/Lon N53 28.531 W3 01.354
OS Map ref SJ 32230 98131

Missing out Anglesey makes the route 205 miles 5hrs 40 minutes

region6.gif

This is now much more manageable and has the ability to be both a pleasant run out and have some spare capacity . . . personally I think those of us that wish to ride "Section 6" have one of the nicest rides there is . . . mountains, forests, rivers, estuaries, sea-side towns, beaches, castles . . . . how many days are we going for?

Given the fact that the A55 Expressway near the end will allow a much greater speed to be maintained than "mean average" it should be the slack that may prove invaluable if any delays have been caused.

One last thing . . . I'm assuming that the rebuilding of the A550 on the Wirral will be done by the September . . . won't take them that long surely?

Hendreforgan said:

. . . personally I think those of us that wish to ride "Section 6" have one of the nicest rides there is . . . mountains, forests, rivers, estuaries, sea-side towns, beaches, castles . . . .

Not that we'll see much as it's going to be a night run ;)

Paul G (BHT) said:
Starting at:-
Aberystwyth
Lat/Lon N52 24.591 W4 05.114
OS Map ref SN 58263 81143

Finishing at the Shell garage on Crosby Road North:
Lat/Lon N53 28.531 W3 01.354
OS Map ref SJ 32230 98131

Missing out Anglesey makes the route 205 miles 5hrs 40 minutes

Paul, I think we should leave the route as it was and include Anglesey. There won't be a problem in completing it in the time allowed if we won't stop to admire the view too often.

Paul G (BHT) said:
Not that we'll see much as it's going to be a night run ;)

This is getting confusing . . . who or where does it say this leg is at night???? :nenau

Hendreforgan said:
This is getting confusing . . . who or where does it say this leg is at night???? :nenau

Region 5 is due to start around 4pm and last 6 hours so Region 6 route will be starting around midnight :cool:

Back
Top Bottom