Sunday 12 March 2006

madmikey said:
I too agree with Slimbo,

however by staying on the M4 until Swansea we aren't really missing that much coast and we will also avoid mostn of the built up areas. I also agree it would be a shame for anybody to miss the East Midlands do. It's alright for the people who start and us what do the middle runs, the people on the later legs will be the ones that miss out. and with MadMikey

Going to be interesting on Thursday ennit?

Hmm :mmmm Average speed, distance and time. Along with 'We want to go the long way around'

Somthings got to give. As I have said before we all need to compromise a little, (though I'm not in favour of using too many motorways).
Maybe we should think seriously about adding another day to the start over the one allready added.

----------------------------------------

Altenitively we could start on the day planed and go in two diferent directions at once.

I.e. Start at the East Midlands Event's location on tuesday the 5th, with two battons
Leg 'A' set off east towards Kings Lynn and continues on the route as currently planed (before the alterations).

Leg 'B' heads north west accross country to Blackpool (because it's easyer and quicker to get to than Bootle) via a quick route. Leg 7 then picks up the second Batton and heads north from there as Planned.

Then when Leg 6 reaches Blackpool they still have time to get to the East Midlands bash and the Big celebrations :beerjug: :beer: :beer: :clap :clap

An added bonus to this is that the middle country folks can get involved too :thumb

Worth thinking about maybe???

Val.H.

Altenitively we could start on the day planed and go in two diferent directions at once.

I.e. Start at the East Midlands Event's location on tuesday the 5th, with two battons
Leg 'A' set off east towards Kings Lynn and continues on the route as currently planed (before the alterations).

Leg 'B' heads north west accross country to Blackpool (because it's easyer and quicker to get to than Bootle) via a quick route. Leg 7 then picks up the second Batton and heads north from there as Planned.

Then when Leg 6 reaches Blackpool they still have time to get to the East Midlands bash and the Big celebrations :beerjug: :beer: :beer: :clap :clap

An added bonus to this is that the middle country folks can get involved too :thumb

Y' know, that's not a bad idea.

GJ

VAL. H. said:

Val.H.

Val.H. thank you, the option of running two regions at once could be good but not too sure about starting at the EM event. This means we are adding extra legs to the whole run and I'm struggling to cover the ones we already have.

But lets have a serious think about it ......... it means we have to find somebody that is willing to ride from Blackpool to EM with the baton as well as Kings Lynn to EM. If that can be covered then it may well work.

OK, good idea in principle, and seriously worth considering... lets have a look at it more closely and post back here.

the option of running two regions at once could be good but not too sure about starting at the EM event. This means we are adding extra legs to the whole run and I'm struggling to cover the ones we already have

Duchess, do we need to start at the EM venue? How about both starting in Blackpool, one heading North and one South, both finishing at EM? Then we've got the same route, same riders, same legs.

Just a thought.

Cheers Jim

Burfcontrol said:
Duchess, do we need to start at the EM venue? How about both starting in Blackpool, one heading North and one South, both finishing at EM? Then we've got the same route, same riders, same legs.

Just a thought.

Cheers Jim

That means I've got to ride from Leicester (home town) to Dartford ... cover the region 1 leg, finish at Kings Lynn... then ride back to Leicester ... blimey :nenau

OK ... thats another option to throw in the pot

That means I've got to ride from Leicester (home town) to Dartford ... cover the region 1 leg, finish at Kings Lynn... then ride back to Leicester ... blimey

Assuming you were gonna cover leg 1 anyway - your original plan would have been Leicester to Kings Lynn to Dartford to Leicester - same mileage just in reverse. Am I missing something? :confused:

Not trying to be a smart ar*e - just wondering what we can do to make things smoother.

Like I posted on the region 2 site, this could turn into a camel - racehorse designed by committee - so please tell me to butt out if I'm not helping - I won't be offended - you're doing a great job and don't need hassle (if that's what it is) from well intentioned but ill informed Tossers like me. :eek :D

Cheers and best of luck Jim :thumb :beer: :beer:

Burfcontrol said:
Assuming you were gonna cover leg 1 anyway - your original plan would have been Leicester to Kings Lynn to Dartford to Leicester - same mileage just in reverse. Am I missing something? :confused:

Not trying to be a smart ar*e - just wondering what we can do to make things smoother.

Like I posted on the region 2 site, this could turn into a camel - racehorse designed by committee - so please tell me to butt out if I'm not helping - I won't be offended - you're doing a great job and don't need hassle (if that's what it is) from well intentioned but ill informed Tossers like me. :eek :D

Cheers and best of luck Jim :thumb :beer: :beer:

no any suggestions are more than welcome, trust me .... :thumb

and yes its true I'm covering the same distance just in reverse (just my sense of humour waining slightly .... )

All suggestions typed here will be looked at... so please post away.

You guys know your area better than I do. I'm just trying to reinforce the 'challenge -v- time -v- distance -v- safety' issues plus take you all back to EM for a bloody good celetratory drink :)

Cookson said:
I'm with slimbo, the original concept (of which I was part of) was to ride the coast roads not motorway's.

However, from what I can tell, region 9 (my section) Fort William to Inverness remains unchanged as their is really only 1 route but if it was to change, I don't think I would be taking part.

The challenge was to ride around the coast of Britain not cut big chunks off & ride the motorway's of Britain !!!!!

:(

I thought the original concept was to complete a single continuous circumnavigation of the UK mainland in 70 hours.

There is no way we can do this by having two legs, one going clockwise and one going anticlockwise, and there is no way we can do this by hugging the coast line.

The challenge was never called The Around Britain’s coast line Challenge and if we are to achieve the above two concepts it surely can’t be ridden that way.

If it isn’t already obvious from the above, I agree with the route that Duchess has proposed, well done Duchess, I for one appreciate all you’re doing.

Lucy x
Region 6 & 7 rider

Lucy said:
I thought the original concept was to complete a single continuous circumnavigation of the UK mainland in 70 hours.

I'm not sure where the "70 hours" came from.

Although I am happy with the changes to the Region 3 route to fit within the "70 hours" - is there a reason that it can't start another day earlier i.e. on the Monday.

Duchess, Lucy

It seems to me that we are treading a fine line here. Reading through some of the threads on the regional route pages it seems lots of people are upset at the route-shortening plans. To the individual concerned, the route is all-important and, however worthy the cause, the reason most people will be involved is for the 'challenge'. There is no challenge in riding the A1, M4, M6 etc. There is a danger that people will drop out because of the changes.

Surely a 1 day extension won't do any real harm. It will change some people's riding day, but that's all.

Again, this is just a point of view and not a personal criticism - you are doing a great job :)

GJ

I'm fine with any changes. I had contingency short cuts in my route already this just means there the new route. Although it does mean riding in the dark for a short period but I guess that will be counteracted by less traffic early in the morning.

Lucy said:

There is no way we can do this by having two legs, one going clockwise and one going anticlockwise, and there is no way we can do this by hugging the coast line.

The challenge was never called The Around Britain’s coast line Challenge and if we are to achieve the above two concepts it surely can’t be ridden that way.

If it isn’t already obvious from the above, I agree with the route that Duchess has proposed, well done Duchess, I for one appreciate all you’re doing.

Lucy x
Region 6 & 7 rider

I can't see where 70 hours comes into it ?

I don't think 2 legs are a good idea either.

Although it was never called The Around Britain "Coast Line" Challenge, of coarse it can be ridden that way but maybe not in 70 hours, so why not start a day earlier ?

And for the record, I think the whole concept is great & I appreciate what you, Duchess & all the other folk that are planning & organising are doing but please leave the route as is. :thumb

Some answers

Quote,Lucy: 'I thought the original concept was to complete a single continuous circumnavigation of the UK mainland in 70 hours.'

Clive said:
I'm not sure where the "70 hours" came from.

Round Britain Relay Challenge (As posted by Burdocks 15/09/05 19:19pm)

Fancy participating in a Round Britain Relay? The challenge is to achieve an agreed route of circa 3500 miles in less than 70 hours.

The orginal idea from Shep already has support from Muppet and dbninja as discussed here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...hlight=burdocks

The idea would be that approximately 10 regional coordinators would organise the route for a stretch of the relay covering roughly 350 miles and also enlist the support of say 7 people to do 50 miles or so legs.

The objective of the Pink Way team (As posted by Ram Man 18/01/06 10:42am)

1. Complete a non-stop circuit of an agreed route around the perimeter of Britain by a team of GS Girls (at least 6 to run a total of 12 legs of a route around Britain), so the Girls may be expected to complete 2 legs (max), observing road safety and designated road speed limits.

2. Record the timed results and let it stand as an unofficial GS record, set by the Pink Way team. This will be officially recorded on the UKGSer website.

3. Document a definitive Round Britain route for subsequent events and riders. This could be a download from UKGSer 'free to a site sponsors' and chargeable to others (?).

4. To raise £10,000 (or more) for Breast Cancer Charity (BCC) by using the run as well as sponsorship either by, per mile or per hour ridden by the regional team member or the overall team effort.

5. Gain industry support and help to do the event by means of equipment, resources etc.

----------------------------------------
The idea to go in two directions at once was exactly that, 'an idea' to help eliviate the issue of time.

The original idea was to 'achieve an agreed route of circa 3500 miles in less than 70 hours.'

This is a great idea in the first instance. However the problems start when you bring mathematics in to the equasion, ie: the law of averages. 3500mls Devided by 70hrs = an average speed of 50 miles an hour.

I've said this before, you can't keep up an average 50mph no UK roads. We all know this.

So the original idea was slightly flawed. What are we going to do about it?

Well we're not going to start arguing 'Are We' :eek:

I propose we firstly decide whether it should be 3500 miles or 70 hours.

Because it is obvious to me at least that the orginator of the idea for the plan (and I don't mean Burdocks, Ram Man or Shep) got his maths wrong.

My personal opinion is that we should go with the 3500mls and rearange the start time.

I also realise we are putting more pressure on to Duchess and the other co-ordinators. As we know their job is hard enough without muppets like me sticking their oar in. So Duchess if you need any help let me know and I'll do what I can (though my only forte seems to be throwing cat's at pigions).

Val.H.

Hi all, I think it is obvious from all the posts that we are all passionate abouts both our bikes and this very worthy cause. I am very grateful to all of the co-ordinators who are doing great job in trying to make sure that this is a success which means all I have to do is ride on the day. :thumb

I don't care what route is chosen I like the coastal route but don't mind riding on main roads either.

Basically cheers to all the organsiers :thumb and just tell me what you need me to do on the day and I'll just be happy to be out on my lovely bike :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

madmikey said:
Duchess you're mail box is full!! :)

I;ve just cleared a few messages Mike, feel free to pm me if you wish.... :)

sharribee said:
Hi all, I think it is obvious from all the posts that we are all passionate abouts both our bikes and this very worthy cause. I am very grateful to all of the co-ordinators who are doing great job in trying to make sure that this is a success which means all I have to do is ride on the day. :thumb

I don't care what route is chosen I like the coastal route but don't mind riding on main roads either.

Basically cheers to all the organsiers :thumb and just tell me what you need me to do on the day and I'll just be happy to be out on my lovely bike :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

I'm with Sharribee on this one..... :bounce1 ......just give me plenty of notice so can rearrange working life around my far more important social one!!... :cool:

Jaq said:
I'm with Sharribee on this one..... :bounce1 ......just give me plenty of notice so can rearrange working life around my far more important social one!!... :cool:

:hapybnce: Jaq that has got my vote for the BEST post so far ever here x

:clap

See, i get one little idea, accidently mention it on here and look what happens :rolleyes:

When the idea popped into my head I had no idea of the huge quantity of organising that it would require :eek: Much respect to all the organisers for taking the time to get involved :thumb

As for the 70 hours business, i'm not sure where that came from ? Seem tight timing to me, i had first thought it was a coastal route ride :nenau

Still, I hope to give a hand on one of the legs, I'll just fill in where needed if thats OK :thumb

Respect and regards

Shep

Shep said:
See, i get one little idea, accidently mention it on here and look what happens :rolleyes:

When the idea popped into my head I had no idea of the huge quantity of organising that it would require :eek: Much respect to all the organisers for taking the time to get involved :thumb

As for the 70 hours business, i'm not sure where that came from ? Seem tight timing to me, i had first thought it was a coastal route ride :nenau

Still, I hope to give a hand on one of the legs, I'll just fill in where needed if thats OK :thumb

Respect and regards

Shep

Shep you are more than welcome to join us, its good to see some new faces arriving.

Have a read through and post to whichever region you wish to become involved with, contact the Regional Co-ordinator direct.

If you can help with any pr stuff or fundraising etc please contact me.

Its good to see a new face on board.

Thank you . :)

Back
Top Bottom