Off Road Ride - Joining instructions and guidelines.

sorebums

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Folks

I’ll be coming down to Llangollen and going home on the day – baby duties - so here is the answer to dumb questions that I usually ask to organisers of dirt-runs.

First my phone number is 07780 702 988 so if anyone has a panic before the bash or on the day – give me a bell.

Run is a bunch of mates going for a dirt ride following a bloke who knows the way. By coming along, you agree that any damage to you, your bike or anything you run into is your responsibility; not the bloke with the map!

We’ll meet at the Hand Hotel at 9.30 for 10am set-off.

The run will be for GSs only unless you’re too small to ride one, you’re sleeping with a GSer (the ‘sufficient sacrifice’ clause), or you’ve wrecked your GS or you’ve a note from your mum. Pogo sticks will find it too easy and this is a GS bash!!

You’ll need a bike with TKCs or similar, as there’s loads of mud. The run will be on the ‘slow technical’ end of the scale rather than the ‘fast sweeping’ end.

Advice for Newbies – keep your toes in especially in ruts – or you’ll risk a spiral fracture to the lower leg – ask Henry Mawson what that feels like. You might want to lower your tyre pressures so that your tyres mould round rocks and to give a longer footprint on the mud. I’ll be running about 22psi front and rear. Spout on the other hand will be on road pressures. You won’t need to do the rough stuff stood up – I’ll be sitting most of the day – it makes putting a foot down much easier!

You’ll require fuel for 135kms (90 miles) – no fuel in Llangollen or on route.

Lunch – best to bring a packed lunch as we’ll probably eat on the track. We may stop for a brew during the mid-section road ride (about 40 minutes of road after the ‘Wayfarers’) at a café on the A5, but don’t rely on that for fast food. Bring lots of fluids – you’ll sweat a lot.

Lots of stops for food, ciggies, taping up indicators, photos, piss taking, etc.

On the road sections we’ll run a System D (Drop-off system) – at each junction, I’ll put the person behind me at the junction to indicate the way to go. That person will rejoin the riding before the tail-end Charlies.

On the dirt sections we’ll not need the System D – we’ll just stay between the leader and the Charlie.

Tail-end Charlies – could I impose on Mouse, Spout, Nobby and Mavis Beacon to take turns as Charlie?

Gates – There’s about 20 gates on the route – whoever is behind me when we get to gate will cop for gate duty until the Charlies catch up to you. When I point to you and ask you to do the gate, can you open it and then make sure it is closed when the whole pack comes through?

We’ll count heads occasionally, but it’s not a guarantee that we’ll instantly notice if you disappear over a cliff. If you’re going to leave the group, tell someone, otherwise we’ll spend ages looking for you.

Help anyone who needs help.

I’ll lead – don’t overtake me unless I tell you to and I will give you instructions on where to wait ahead. If you’re into blasting off and getting sideways – tell me before we set-off and when we get to good places to do it, I’ll wave you through and tell you where to wait.

Overtaking – do it safely and considerately. Remember that slow guy in front might be at his wits end and might crack if you elbow him aside and then shower him with sh1te. If you’re going to do it – give a hoot or something to say I’m coming through – keep speed differentials down – this ain’t a race, but we all need to get out from behind that slow bloke!

Notes on the tricky sections:
- There is good grip under any mud you’ll hit – the GSs won’t get buried.
- The first trail we hit after leaving the Hand is a nice wake-up – slippery mud with a scary slope dropping down into the valley. It feels much worse than it is! Take it slowish, leave lots of space between you and the guy ahead, take care weaving around the sticky out tree. Use few revs and get ready to use your RIGHT foot to steady yourself. Take your time. If you can keep your bottle on this short track – you should be ok for the rest of the day.
- A few sections in there’s a gate and then rock slope up a track – take it steady, start on right, stand up and let suspension do the work
- The Wayfarers – up on the moor – there’s a horrible looking step onto railway sleepers across the bog – take it easy in first or second gear and let suspension do the work as you mount the step.
- The long road section after the wayfarers – about 40 minutes – can be chilly - wrap up and enjoy the scenery. Be patient as you’re be sweaty on the trails again soon enough.
- After the road section there is loads of mud and ruts – be smooth with the throttle, stay in a rut and paddle through.
- There’s a ‘Cow-poo section’ – wait for me to open the gate and then come through slowly.
- The last drop into Llangollen has some nasty rocks on the left – stay on the right side or watch for rocks
- Most importantly – the tarmac’d roads are tight and slippery – take it easy, expect traffic, chill – don’t stick your bike into a Landrover.

I’ll bring some photocopied maps, so anyone who gets tired / fed-up can take one and find their way back to Llangollen.

Finally – can you reply to this thread if you’re planning to join us – so I have some idea of numbers.

Any questions – post it here or send me a PM.

Simon

Simon,
it might be easier if I'm "tail end charlie" for all sections (road and rough). I know the route and it will stop any confusion.

and I wont have to do any gates! :D

Probably!

Hotel booked, meal booked, tyre change yet to be confirmed :confused:

Done nothing like this before :bounce1

Skip.

Spout said:
Simon,
it might be easier if I'm "tail end charlie" for all sections (road and rough). I know the route and it will stop any confusion.

and I wont have to do any gates! :D

Spout

That would be good - didn't like to impose on you! I'll lend you a digi camera so you can capture the mayhem at the back!

Simon

Simon,

You may have read on another thread that I can't make it this year.

Have a safe and fun ride - and get lots of pics so's I can see if anyone breaks my falling off record :thumb

Dahoum said:
Simon,

Have a safe and fun ride - and get lots of pics so's I can see if anyone breaks my falling off record :thumb

Ken

We're missing you already - I'm sure we'll find a sacrificial Dahoum-alike to amuse us. At least you won't have to spend the next t month paying for the damage done to your bike this year - insh allah!

See you in the car park on Saturday morning.

Simon

Dahoum said:
Simon,

At least the OAP's in the hotel bar will be safe this year :D or will clive still be loitering

Steptoe said:
or will clive still be loitering
Nope - I can't make it either this year.

(Nor Exmoor which is where I was planning on going anyway ;)

Is it ok if i join you chaps get some practice in might learn a few things too.I'll be on GS ADV with KAROOs fitted so watch out behind :eek:

forry said:
Is it ok if i join you chaps get some practice in might learn a few things too.I'll be on GS ADV with KAROOs fitted so watch out behind :eek:

Forry

Sounds good - look forward to seeing you there. Karoos - sounds like you'll be on roosting duty.

Simon

Back
Top Bottom