Achill Island recce 2

Aidan1150

Nice but unfortunate husband.
Mod Squad
Reaction score
With just six weeks left to go until the Achill Island weekend it was time to do the second and final recce for the Saturday ride-out.

Unfortunately we were without Sugarcube this time, but had the company of a few other Tossers on the run west.

We now have what we believe to be a pretty good run planned for you all with hopefully something to suit everyone, stunning sea views, plenty of mountains, lakes, gravel, single track roads and even a small ford.

Through this remote area of Mayo runs one of the wider roads that we will use.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Then it gets narrower.

4.jpg

5.jpg

Before opening out again further on.

6.jpg

7.jpg

We then have our first taste of gravel which runs for two or three kms. The surface is pretty good and was easily negotiated by Ron on his RT so should present no worries to GSers, even two-up.

8.jpg

We return to tarmac again which takes us to a small ford. The water here is not very deep, merely six inches or so but may suit those who like to get their feet wet. :rolleyes:

9.jpg

Jockser washes his new 12GSA.

10.jpg

A wee run up to a viewpoint will precede the next gravel section. It was here that Jockser's new GSA decided that it needed to have a wee lie down. He had it up again before any cameras were produced, but the head guard did it's job.

11.jpg

12.jpg

The second foray off road is about 3km long but is more difficult than the first and would probably not suit those carrying a pillion who will be able to use a short detour though. Sorry I didn't take any pics of this section, but I was trying very hard not to fall off. This offroad craic is not for me at all. :eek:

Much of the run is on roads like this.

13.jpg

Generally the locals are quite friendly, but there's always one. :rolleyes: :mmmm

14.jpg

Hopefully this thread along with the first recce report will give you some idea as to what's in store on the rideouts. I will post more details re rideout times etc as we get closer to the event itself.

Finally, thanks to the guys who turned out on a pretty poor weekend weather wise to ride the route and who will be lending their help on the rideouts in July. :bow :clap

15.jpg

L to R;
RT Ron, TrevMcDev, Leprechaun (Frank), Jockser and Marcus the Mad German :D .

'Twas a great w/e despite the best efforts of the weather. Saturday was overcast but dry and mild while Sunday started wet & turned showery. All in all not too bad but I got the worst shower about 15 miles from home :(

It was here that Jockser's new GSA decided that it needed to have a wee lie down. He had it up again before any cameras were produced, but the head guard did it's job

I told ya already - it was tired ;) ;) Stupid mistake - I didn't have it in gear & it rolled forward slightly, stand popped up & down she ( and I ) went :eek: Other than that she ran faultlessly & just keeps gettin' betterer & betterer :bounce1 :bow

Generally the locals are quite friendly, but there's always one. :rolleyes: :mmmm

Thought I'd use language that you'd understand (& it obviously worked ) ;) :D

Unfortunately the few pics I took in between map reading duties are sh1te (yes Aidan, as bad as ever :upyou ) so I'll not inflict them on you :)

nice looking wee roads :D

There's some crackers there alright :thumb Aidan & I picked the route over the phone while both looking at O.S. maps & it worked out really well - apart from one gated right-of-way :( I think we now have something for everyone in the audience :D

As Aidan already said, a big thanks to our 'little helpers :bow and I hope you enjoyed the weekend.

Roll on 28th July :bounce1 :bounce1

Looks like a great weekend

Will be in Canada for this one but will be thinking of you guys.

Make sure and take plenty of pics of the 'festivites' ;)

Looks like fun can't wait it'll be my first trip to Ireland :thumb

Back
Top Bottom