Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Salisbury plain....a warning....

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    In a society where everyone is guilty, getting caught is the only crime

"If you knew when you were going to die, would you live your life differently?"

'With A Beautiful Blonde Bull Terrier Wrangler In The Vale'
    Well, the most shocking thing about that article was the fact they saw a Frontera 'off road'

This is certaily not true, he really does need to clean his glasses. The only time you'll see a Frontera 'off road', is when it's up on a mechanic's ramp

Audi Cock Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Well, the most shocking thing about that article was the fact they saw a Frontera 'off road'

This is certaily not true, he really does need to clean his glasses. The only time you'll see a Frontera 'off road', is when it's up on a mechanic's ramp
    or upside down in a drainage ditch

Edited because I cannot type

Don't see the scandal here. You have to be road legal even for byways.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400
    [I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Bit of a thread resurrection here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the quoted story on the first message already being 6 year older than the thread too
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

I find the byways very well signposted on the plains. But if In doubt the wardens are approachable and often enjoy a chat. They can distinguish between a genuine trail rider on something road legal like a GS compared to twats on crossers.

That said always have a GPS type map such as view ranger and stay legal. Also consider that if you hurt yourself it can take time and resources to get you out if there so don’t ride thinking you are in the Dakar.

We ride the plains regularly and have never had a problem with the MOD or the wardens, we just ride sensibly and stick to the byways (hopefully) there are some arsehole MOD wardens and some good ones as there are some arsehole off roaders and some good ones. Always a load of full on MX bike hooning around ripping it up.

I went a few times so far with the GS. Saw a Police 4x4 once while I was resting by one of the gates, friendly nod, they asked if everything was ok. But didn't meet anyone from MOD.

I use a GPS map with the byways marked on and stuck to those.
    Got lost a couple of times. But there was a healthy amount of activity around to ask for help/indications.

Looking forward to go again with the DRZ.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

There has been a lot of complaints about mainly off road bikes riding on what are legally classed roads.

If you ride on the road to get there and obey the rules you are unlikely to be approached By MOD or local plod. I’ve never been stopped on or near the plain.
    Edited because I cannot type

Got it.

Yes, to be fair, last time I've been there I've seen people unloading quads off a trailer when I was leaving.
    No plates.
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

What a waste. Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    There has been a lot of complaints about mainly off road bikes riding on what are legally classed roads.

If you ride on the road to get there and obey the rules you are unlikely to be approached By MOD or local plod. I’ve never been stopped on or near the plain.
    I used to take UKGSer beginners off road on the Plain. Did a few many years ago... after one write up with oictures on a Saturday ride we had 27 riders turn up for the next one

We got chased by several different wardens vehicles. When they finalkly stopped us you coukd see the relief on his face, he radioed to the other wardens and said "it's all ok stand down, it's a bunch of old blokes in legal bikes" ... had a friendly chat and he left us all to enjoy ourselves.

Been stopped a couple of other times... but it helps if you're a member of the Army parachute association, based at Netheravon, and have a members card to flash .
    All your BMW servicing needs at the .gsshop.biz, including 1200 models

Recommended as an "excellent independant" in Ride magazine 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post

Been stopped a couple of other times... but it helps if you're a member of the Army parachute association, based at Netheravon, and have a members card to flash .
    I heard that you know the colour of the boathouse at Hereford.............
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Oh 22nd?
    R1150R '03 [on hiatus]
    R1200GS Adv '07
    HP2 Sport '11
    DRZ 400

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12