Salisbury plain....a warning....

Don't see the scandal here. You have to be road legal even for byways.

Bit of a thread resurrection here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the quoted story on the first message already being 6 year older than the thread too :D

I find the byways very well signposted on the plains. But if In doubt the wardens are approachable and often enjoy a chat. They can distinguish between a genuine trail rider on something road legal like a GS compared to twats on crossers.

That said always have a GPS type map such as view ranger and stay legal. Also consider that if you hurt yourself it can take time and resources to get you out if there so don’t ride thinking you are in the Dakar.

We ride the plains regularly and have never had a problem with the MOD or the wardens, we just ride sensibly and stick to the byways (hopefully) there are some arsehole MOD wardens and some good ones as there are some arsehole off roaders and some good ones. Always a load of full on MX bike hooning around ripping it up.

I went a few times so far with the GS. Saw a Police 4x4 once while I was resting by one of the gates, friendly nod, they asked if everything was ok. But didn't meet anyone from MOD.

I use a GPS map with the byways marked on and stuck to those.
Got lost a couple of times. But there was a healthy amount of activity around to ask for help/indications.

Looking forward to go again with the DRZ.

There has been a lot of complaints about mainly off road bikes riding on what are legally classed roads.

If you ride on the road to get there and obey the rules you are unlikely to be approached By MOD or local plod. I’ve never been stopped on or near the plain.

Got it.

Yes, to be fair, last time I've been there I've seen people unloading quads off a trailer when I was leaving.
No plates.

There has been a lot of complaints about mainly off road bikes riding on what are legally classed roads.

If you ride on the road to get there and obey the rules you are unlikely to be approached By MOD or local plod. I’ve never been stopped on or near the plain.

I used to take UKGSer beginners off road on the Plain. Did a few many years ago... after one write up with oictures on a Saturday ride we had 27 riders turn up for the next one :D

We got chased by several different wardens vehicles. When they finalkly stopped us you coukd see the relief on his face, he radioed to the other wardens and said "it's all ok stand down, it's a bunch of old blokes in legal bikes" ... had a friendly chat and he left us all to enjoy ourselves.

Been stopped a couple of other times... but it helps if you're a member of the Army parachute association, based at Netheravon, and have a members card to flash :D .

Been stopped a couple of other times... but it helps if you're a member of the Army parachute association, based at Netheravon, and have a members card to flash :D .

I heard that you know the colour of the boathouse at Hereford............. :rob

Had a bit of a play on the plain today, but was on my own so took it fairly easy. I’d be up for a ride around there if anyone fancies it one day. :thumb

Attachments

• 84DD2E32-A0CF-4983-BDB1-12C458084770.jpg
    84DD2E32-A0CF-4983-BDB1-12C458084770.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 164
I was planning the weekend after lockdown ends. Probably on the GSA as it takes forever to get there with the DR.

I was planning the weekend after lockdown ends. Probably on the GSA as it takes forever to get there with the DR.

Keep me posted. I’m an off road novice, so you’ll have to go easy with me. :comfort

..... with a dodgy back ...... :D

Back
Top Bottom