Adjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

Steptoe

What a waste.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Checking valve clearances and rocker end float ;

When removing the valve cover, the inner gasket has a habit of staying in the head. Gently remove it and fit it to the cover, if left in place you’ll most likely “pinch” it when replacing the cover, and find you’ve an oil leak.

If you remove the cover, and it looks like this - the inner gasket is still stuck in the head

i-TMg2ZtD-S.jpg

There it is inside, gently pry it out , and fit it to the cover

i-g6XBwp2-XL.jpg

How you want it to look

i-vgvmn6c-S.jpg

All the following work must be done with the engine COLD

The engine must be at TDC on the side your checking, before any clearances can be measured. I always start on the L/H side, then do the right. It requires less turning over of the engine.
Set the engine to TDC (top dead center), put it in gear, remove both spark plugs, and turn the engine over by rotating the rear wheel by hand. On the cylinder your looking at, You want the inlet valve to be closing as the piston comes up to TDC, if you don’t know what I’m talking about, you shouldn’t be attempting this job ; ) insert a small screwdriver or straw into the spark plug hole, and as yourotate the wheel the screwdriver/straw will be pushed out of the spark plug hole, when it reaches the max coming out point, stop. That’s the TDC.
i-7FqvvGZ-S.jpg

Before you check the valve clearances, you also want to make sure the rocker endfloat is within tolerance - The clearance allowed is between = min 0.05 & max 0.40 . ( the same for inlet & exhaust)

Where to check the endfloat

i-V3d6n4L-XL.jpg

It’s better to keep it at the minimum gap, it helps surging problems , and runs much better.
Here’s where the benefit of doing it yourself comes in. Most workshops will leave it if it’s inside the spec, less unnecessary work for them . But you’ll never have the sweet running bike that you could have.

To adjust the endfloat, you’ll need a T45 socket, and a 15mm hex socket. And a torque wrench to do it all back up.

Here’s the 3 torq bolts .

i-9txqBCb-M.jpg

And the one 15mm hex bolt.

i-drhLF6M-S.jpg

Undo them all, then just nip them up finger tight.
You then tap the lower rocker support bar until the gap is correct . This can be a pain in the arse, and seem a bitof a bodge, but it’s how it’s done. Just take your time.

The support bar
i-Dmg7ZbP-S.jpg

Now torque up the bolts - the torq bolts are 9nm .
The hex bolt is a cylinder head bolt, so needs to be tightened to 20nm, and then turned another 180 degrees.
i-fQJhssL-S.jpg

When you’ve done that to your satisfaction, you now measure the valve clearances.

Inlet 0.15
Exhaust 0.30

Measuring the valve clearances
i-rXfkRkn-XL.jpg

To adjust the gaps, you’l need a 10mm spanner ,and a 3mm allen key. The 10mm nut is a lock nut, you adjust the gapwith the allen key.
Adjusting the gaps
i-th9CzCX-S.jpg

When your happy with all that, you then repeat it on the other side.
Remembering to get the engine at TDC on that side before measuring any clearances.

The end result of both the valve clearences, and more importantly the rocker end float ( plus the throttle sync afterwards) will give you a bike smoother and quieter, and more responsive.

Taken me longer to type this than to do the whole job from start to finish.

Nice one Neil going to service mine this week i'll check the end float to :thumb

Steppers,
Typical, I do the job at the weeekend. You post this today. Still, it's good enough for me to print off & keep, for the next time.

20Nm & then 180 degree further tighten?! Idon't know if my mechanical sympathy could take that :eek:

Agjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

Hi Steptoe,

You have given me good advice since I recently joined the forum, and as I have recently purchased an older 1100 GS 1995 I have a few probs to sort out !

Just reading your guide fits in with what I have to do next with the GS, on the
off side or right hand cylinder head I have an oil leak; now having cleaned it thoroughly I started the engine and took it out for a spin to get it up to running to temp.

When I stopped I checked where the oil appears to be leaking, at first glance the oil seems to emit from midway at base of cylinder head gasket, so I assume
that the problem is damaged or not fitted correctly head gasket ?

The fellow I purchased the bike from told me he had the relevant head gasket replaced and soon after oil started to leak " cowboys" was the word he used.

Can you throw any light ?

Best regards Mack.....

bsa250 said:
The fellow I purchased the bike from told me he had the relevant head gasket replaced and soon after oil started to leak " cowboys" was the word he used.

Can you throw any light ?

Best regards Mack.....

Could be one i done earlier :D

Agjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

Hi Steptoe,
No I do think it was you as the bike came from Kent !

The former owner said it was an motorbike repair outfit, but with the end result
was not the one to shout about.

Maybe they were masquerading as bike repair's etc but were really the local
rodeo "yeah hi" :D

Anyway's no light shed then ?

Regards Mack..... :thumb

bsa250 said:
Anyway's no light shed then ?

Regards Mack..... :thumb

Have got light in my shed actually -

You've a leak, don't know where from without seeing it - but the pictures in the post above aren't a head gasket job. Thats something completely different, which i'll be doing tomorrow, and taking pictures for another "how to feck it up" post :D

I'm going to make this a sticky - i'm i allowed to do this with my own post :nenau

Hi Steptoe,

Yes I know your pic display is for ajustment of rockers, I am referring to head gasket leak of oil or so it seems.

Looking from the ground up to the underside of offside cylinder; midway of cylinder head gasket there are three bolts, the first bolt is where it appears to
leak, the oil follows a line in the casting leading to what appears to be a drain
plug ?

I will try and get a pic and upload.

Regards Mack... :)

bsa250 said:
I will try and get a pic and upload.

Regards Mack... :)

Mick, don't bother. No one is in a better position to tell where an oil leak is coming from than the person standing in front of it looking at it.

Hi Steptoe,

Thanks for your advise, I will have to get me magnifying glass out!
as its very difficult to determine if the oil is seeping from the gasket or first of the three bolts.

I think I may have to strip down the head to find out.

Anyways thanks Regards Mack... :)

Good show Mr Steptoe, looking forward to the next installment :clap

Excellent post Neil,
thanks very much, great pix which really show what to do,
cheers,
Barrie

Very much appreciated Mr Steptoe sir. You are without question a most kind and patient geezer, who wants to improve the basic knowledge of all us mechanically useless people. A fruitless task in many cases, but thank you for your efforts. :beerjug:

Rattle has gone

Had already adjusted the valves last year. Despite many 1000s of miles they were still perfect today. However adjusting the rocker end thingymajig got rid of the rattle it had had since I bought it two years ago. Only worried now that it is too tight and that my ham fistedness will result in oil leak. :eek
Not going to change the cam chain tensioner now which was my next plan, :eek:
Thanks St eptimus

TUNED IN said:
nice work neil...

....nearly idiot proof... i say nearly because i sure i could feck it up somehow

Steptoe said:
The clearance allowed is between min 0.05 & max 0.40 (the same for inlet & exhaust). When you’ve done that to your satisfaction, you now measure the valve clearances.

Inlet 0.15
Exhaust 0.30

Right, end float first, five hundredths of a millimetre? Can't be that small, must be five hundredths of an inch then. Blimey, the last bloke did this exhaust rocker up tight. Aaaah, that's better, three tenths of an inch :rolleyes: .

I expect it's been done.

Regards, Mick :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom