Mapsource For Dummies: Part One - Files & Waypoints

How do you save the Home location to a file?

I can't figure out how you are supposed to post to this file, so if I did it wrong, please excuse me. I just want to know how you create the file you title Home and save it to a file. I tried to do just that, but it saves it as a .gdb file and when I tried to copy it and paste it into my other route's waypoints, the word Paste was greyed out. I think that you must be doing something differently than I guessed. Thanks!

Could someone please explain why, on my Mapsource, there is no window/comment box showing what map is available?
See the example below where it says "City Navigator Europe v8". I have supposedly got v9 but can't understand I don't even see the comment box.

Attachments

• garmin.jpg
    garmin.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 384
Could someone please explain why, on my Mapsource, there is no window/comment box showing what map is available?
See the example below where it says "City Navigator Europe v8". I have supposedly got v9 but can't understand I don't even see the comment box.

It won't appear unless you have more than one set of maps loaded on the PC :)

Thanks Whatton, that would explain it .......
I'm new to this so there may be more "dummy" questions in the future - please bear with me. :)

PDF

Excellent - you must have burned a lot of midnight oil. What about publishing it on .pdf for printing/quick reference away from the PC?

I have a PDF version but the file is too big to put on here, wanna give me your email and I will send it to you?

Hey, I loaded up Whattons campsite waypoints into Mapsource then allocated them into a new category called "Campsites", exported them to my ZUMO 550 but they just transfer into the favourites area but without the category info. Is there no way to see categories when you select "Favourites".

I've set categories for Campsites, BMW Dealerships etc. It'd be nice if I could select a category rather than them all being messed up together.

Hmm, that question hasn't been answered and it's one I have to ask. This thread might be entitled MapSource for Dummies:part 1, but it presumes the reader knows whether or not MapSource is already loaded onto the computer or not.

I want to plan a motorcycle trip in Europe and I like the idea of creating maps using a green or purple line, then if I change my plans, I want to be able to shift that line (route) around. At this stage I have no interest in downloading anything onto my GPS.

So is MapSource the way to go or are there better route planning aids? I've just been trying Maps Engine Lite but completely foxed me. I want the line to actually follow roads I will be riding on and not a series of straight lines. Thanks.

Hmm, that question hasn't been answered and it's one I have to ask. This thread might be entitled MapSource for Dummies:part 1, but it presumes the reader knows whether or not MapSource is already loaded onto the computer or not.

I want to plan a motorcycle trip in Europe and I like the idea of creating maps using a green or purple line, then if I change my plans, I want to be able to shift that line (route) around. At this stage I have no interest in downloading anything onto my GPS.

So is MapSource the way to go or are there better route planning aids? I've just been trying Maps Engine Lite but completely foxed me. I want the line to actually follow roads I will be riding on and not a series of straight lines. Thanks.

Mapsource is effectively a 'container' program, with out the separate mapping data, in our case City Navigator Europe, it's like having Excel but without a spreadsheet to load. Mapsource is free and can be downloaded from here but you have to pay for the Garmin mapping data (City Navigator). As an alternative to Mapsource you might want to try Basecamp which has now replaced the former. If you're using a Mac you have no choice but to use Basecamp (for Mac). Same applies with the mapping though.

You can download mapping from the OpenStreetMap project and use that instead, being open source it's free/donation ware. This is compatible with both of the above programs.

Or you could use ITN Converter or TYRE which use the Google Maps API instead. You can save routes from these and use on your Garmin.

My preference is Basecamp as it's current and being updated regularly and uses the exact same mapping data as in my Zumo 660. If I were on a shoestring budget and didn't already have a lifetime mapping subscription with Garmin OpenStreetMap would be my choice. Having said that I use ITN Converter regularly as part of my route plotting toolkit.

Thanks, you were speaking a bit fast there and I KNOW it will all go wrong for me but at least I have some info I can play with. This morning I tried Google Maps again using their cycling format. I put in a destination from Calais to Dunkirque and the magic blue line appeared. Right clicking and dragging it moved the route to the less busy coastal road and I could save it on MyMaps. Then I tried a theoretical route from Calais up through Denmark to Norway, Sweden over the top of the Baltic then down to Helsinki, Latvia, Estonia, back through Poland to Calais. It took a while but it looked good so I saved it. When I looked at it again, the damned thing had greatly simplified the route and it took me in a straight line from Calais across the North Sea to Bergen.

Anyway thanks for the advice and I shall have a go.

(Later) Jeez, the bloody jargon. I think I'll go and have a cuppa then go into the garden to plant some nasturtiums. When my head is clearer, I'll return and struggle through another 'training session'.

Then I tried a theoretical route from Calais up through Denmark to Norway, Sweden over the top of the Baltic then down to Helsinki, Latvia, Estonia, back through Poland to Calais. It took a while but it looked good so I saved it.

One of the rules of route plotting, espcially if you're planning on using the route on a sat nav, is to break a long route into sections. 1 day at a time is ideal though some do half days. This gives greater flexibility as you can have alternative routes that you can select on the road for particular days or even a diversion of a few days. Additionally a sat nav will choke on a big multi day route as it's processing power for route recalculation if you wander off course, or drive through a tunnel, is limited. I can throw smaller route files around it's tiny brain easier, big routes result in an aneurysm.

If you're comfortable with Google maps give ITN Converter a try, you should be on familiar territory.

Mapsource and Basecamp, if you can tolerate the learning curve (I have a few videos on Youtube that might help with that), can work on multi day routes as a collection which is very useful. Combine with OpenStreetMap and it's a free ride :)

Yep, can see that. If it's just planning and you're not going to be putting it on a sat nav then Google Maps should be fine.

Saving that route as a KML either offers 2 points (start and end) or over 3000 for the full KML path. Both pretty useless to do anything with.

Again, ITN Converter does things in the same way and can produce output in a multitude of formats for many GPSs, Google Maps etc. etc. A smallish learning curve, worth the effort IMHO.

KML ?

(Later) Keyhole Markup Language (KML) is an XML notation for expressing geographic annotation and visualization within Internet-based, two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional Earth browsers.

Good grief.

Hey up
I am a big fan of openstreetmap on me old garmin
Its free ish :clap and it makes me old worthless GPs a goodun
Also
If yer carefull it will let you mark up exactly which roads yer want to do Including trails/unsurfaced road etc.
I did a 150 mile route around the peak district lanes that runs on the 2610 :clap well chuffed with that !!!!!!!!!!!
HTHY

KML ?

(Later) Keyhole Markup Language (KML) is an XML notation for expressing geographic annotation and visualization within Internet-based, two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional Earth browsers.

Good grief.

See, you're developing the yearning for knowledge and doing well :D

As MickDB1 says, OpenSteetMap combined with Basecamp or Mapsource would be a great way forward. It's just the hurdle of learning how to use these somewhat unintuitive programs. Having said that each and everyone of us can learn how to use them proficiently. It's just a case of can you be arsed to do so :nenau :D

Well when I bought my Garmin Street Pilot III some years ago, I finally gave up the unequal struggle after using it about ten times, and it remains in it's box. A couple of years ago we bought a Garmin Nuvi 1390, and found that a far better kettle of fish and really easy to use. Touch screen and a clear display. No need to carry the instruction manual with us. Clearly I'm not good at things which aren't intuitive especially when it's cluttered with jargon which means nothing to me, and each and every baffling word requires looking up. But that doesn't mean your helpful advice is not welcomed.

Well when I bought my Garmin Street Pilot III some years ago, I finally gave up the unequal struggle after using it about ten times, and it remains in it's box. A couple of years ago we bought a Garmin Nuvi 1390, and found that a far better kettle of fish and really easy to use. Touch screen and a clear display. No need to carry the instruction manual with us. Clearly I'm not good at things which aren't intuitive especially when it's cluttered with jargon which means nothing to me, and each and every baffling word requires looking up. But that doesn't mean your helpful advice is not welcomed.

OK, fair enough, you can't be arsed :D :rolleyes: :D

OK, lets take this, trying to get onto ITN Converter. Page 2 - Desktop Version or Travel Version? Which choice? No way of explaining the differences or checking which I need? I don't want to download until I'm sure of the best version for me. So stuck - again - on only Page 2! It's this assumption that everybody is fluent in GPS jargon that irritates (me). It's not 'can't be arsed' it's 'speak English'.:blast

Desktop Version or Travel Version

I think the Travel version you can put on a USB stick and use in internet cafes. The Desktop version is what you need otherwise.

Once you've installed and started the program you'll see a a screen with a blank list. On the right there are a few icons, most greyed out as you have no route defined yet. Click the compass icon which opens the editor window.

Click a point on the map to add a via-point, you can then add this to the route and it will appear in the list on the left, add more points the same way and then calculate the route by clicking the car icon. You drag the existing points, add new ones, re order the points in the list etc. Once happy just close that window (act of faith I know) and your route then appears in the first screen. Export the route in a format of your choosing, saving it as a file means you can open it again later. I tend to use the GPX format.

I would like to make a tutorial video but don't have the time ATM. There are videos on the ITN Converter web site but, as the developer is French, so are the videos.

Back
Top Bottom