Mapsource For Dummies: Part One - Files & Waypoints

Deleted account W

Mapsource For Dummies: Dealing with Files and creating Waypoints

105991752-O.jpg

Overview:

Mapsource is an application that’s installed on your pc. It isn’t on your GPS unit.

You use it to:

View the sets of maps that you have on your pc. You can select an area of maps or all of them for sending to a GPS unit. Depends on the amount of memory available in your GPS.

The set of maps I’m using at the moment is City navigator Europe V8.

105991744-O.jpg

Create and manage waypoints.

105991736-O.jpg

Create and manage routes.

105991777-O.jpg

View tracks that you’ve downloaded from your unit. A track will show where you went while the unit was switched on.

105991802-O.jpg

When you’ve done all your creating and managing you can then use Mapsource to send your maps, waypoints and routes to your GPS unit.

105991819-O.jpg

When you open Mapsource using the icon on your desktop you’re opening a brand new, empty document. The best way to explain is if I show the stages of creating a couple of way points then use them to create a route.

Creating waypoints:

I’ve opened Mapsource using the icon on my desktop, not using a Mapsource file I’ve saved previously. This will create a new blank document; it’ll say “Untitled” in the top left hand corner. Before I start creating my waypoints and routes I save this “Untitled” document to a folder. Top tip: Create a folder called “My Maps” and save your Mapsource files in it.

I click on “File” then “Save As” then give it a file name in the pop up box and press “Save”

105991835-O.jpg

I’ll create the first waypoint using the map and the little green flag icon. You can use this method when you know where the place is that you want to save as a waypoint.

I zoom in and out using the + and – icons to a level where I can see the street where the waypoint wants to be. To move the map around I click on the hand icon and drag the map about with that. When I’ve found my street I click on the green flag icon and plant a flag marking my first waypoint. A pop up box appears.

105991852-O.jpg

I give the Waypoint a name and pick a suitable symbol then click on OK

105991884-O.jpg

I now have one waypoint in the left hand “Waypoint” list.

I only know the address of the second waypoint so I’ll use the search facility to create it.

I click on the binoculars icon pick the address tab and then type in the city where the next pub is.

105991916-O.jpg

I click on select and type in the first part of the street name and then pick the street from the dropdown list..

105991941-O.jpg

I type in the house number and click on Find..

105991963-O.jpg

I select the correct address from the Places box and click on Make waypoint..

I give the waypoint a name and pick a suitable Symbol like before and then click OK.

105991976-O.jpg

I’ve now got two waypoints in my list…

105991986-O.jpg

The third waypoint I’ll create using some co-ordinates I’ve been given. (N52 56.474 W0 48.177 )

First I select the green flag icon again and stick a flag any where on my map. This brings up the same waypoint box as before.

105992001-O.jpg

As well as giving my new waypoint its proper name and selecting a symbol I also change the position to show the co-ordinates that I’ve been given…

105992024-O.jpg

I click on “Show on map” to check it’s in the right place then on OK

105992044-O.jpg

Just as a precaution it’s wise to keep saving your file as you go along by clicking the floppy disc icon…

105992051-O.jpg

The forth waypoint I need is my home address. This I’ve already previously saved in a file called “Home” so all I need to do is copy it and paste it into my “Pub Crawl” file.

I go to the File menu, select Open, navigate to the folder where my “Home” file is and then open it.

105992074-O.jpg

It’s only got one waypoint in the list; I right click on this waypoint and select copy.

105992084-O.jpg

I click on file and select my “Pub crawl” file……..

105992109-O.jpg

I right click in the Waypoint list and select paste…

105992124-O.jpg

I’ve now got the last waypoint I needed……

105992144-O.jpg

The next step, Part Two, is to create a route using the four waypoints.

Exciting isn't it :rolleyes:

Excellent - you must have burned a lot of midnight oil. What about publishing it on .pdf for printing/quick reference away from the PC?

Mr Whatton Sir,

May I suggest this becomes a "Sticky" Please, pretty please. :thumb

Altho I do have a GPS System I havent yet tried a route plan.I normally look in the Waypionts and click on what I need and go. :bounce1

You are indeed a god of GPS. :bow

Thank you again kind sir.

Be Safe

Pat

Oh giver of all knowledge , is it possable to move all the WP's from my SP111 and put them on to my shiney new 2610 :bounce1

Your humble apprentice , young JB the uninlightened one :ninja1:

James Burton said:
Oh giver of all knowledge , is it possable to move all the WP's from my SP111 and put them on to my shiney new 2610 :bounce1

Your humble apprentice , young JB the uninlightened one :ninja1:

Yes.....connect your old SPIII to the PC and download the Waypoints, save them as 'old waypoints', then connect your new shiny 2610 and upload 'old waypoints' into it.

Do they actually allow you out in public?? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Thank you Whatton, I guess there are other "dummies" out there then other than me, this thread will help many GS'ers :thumb

Now, you have answered my main Qn, Saving the different files separately. But, is it possible to add these waypoints to the unit and save them all?
I ask this, as i tried to save my home location and the unit froze, this may be a fault with the unit itself. :nenau and i wont know until i get my new one dilivered.
also, when i download v9 onto my 2720, will this update the mapsource too? If not, is it possible ?
Thanks again Kev.

Fanum said:
Yes.....connect your old SPIII to the PC and download the Waypoints, save them as 'old waypoints', then connect your new shiny 2610 and upload 'old waypoints' into it.

Do they actually allow you out in public?? :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Listen ginger :D

My SP111 doesn't connect to my computer , there's only the card programer :nenau

James Burton said:
Listen ginger :D

My SP111 doesn't connect to my computer , there's only the card programer :nenau

the waypoints aren't on the card so your fecked. Hasn't your laptop got a serial socket?

cheers :beerjug: thats saved a few hours fiddling :eek: it makes mor sense than the instruction manual, is there any way of keeping this info without having to search for it at a later date :nenau

STUBBS said:
is there any way of keeping this info without having to search for it at a later date :nenau

The three "Mapsource For Dummies" Threads will stay at the top of the GPS forum. I've made them "Sticky" :thumb

There might be more but at the mo I don't know what people don't know.

Iv'e borrowed a USB to Serial connector and an SP111 cable , down loaded my old way points and can now once again drink my way around The Globe , visiting my favourite bars :beerjug:

James Burton said:
Iv'e borrowed a USB to Serial connector and an SP111 cable , down loaded my old way points and can now once again drink my way around The Globe , visiting my favourite bars :beerjug:

Well I'm over the moon, I'll raise a drink to your good fortune tonight Mr Burton :rolleyes:

Nice one Mr Whatton it's interesting to see how folk work with mapsource I used to download all the waypoints I needed to my Quest 2 and let it do the calculating but now I have the 2720 I use the route tool and click on the map were I want to stop and if the route that mapsource makes does not suit me I Rubber Band it to fit with the select tool in edit mode. For saving data for future trips your method definitely has more merit.

Helpful stuff this as I'm new to Garmin. I've just got a 2610 and Mapsource V8 from GPSW - great deal. All seems fine installed on desktop and working on unit. Just wondered, does Garmin allow you to upload the software on 2 computers, ie can I stick it on my laptop as well? Suspect not as I had to register it.

First post for me, so don't shout :bow

I've got the mapsource loaded and registered OK and I've been reading these 'tutorials' but I can't seem to download the selected maps. The caption shown on here has a box at the top showing City Navigator 8, I don't have this box on view :(
The Garmin is plugged into the computer and turned on, but when I try to send maps I get the connection box to try to find the device, but can't find it, just a message about select Interface Option to Garmin ???

:aidan

Have had SP 111 for a couple of years and could not master files & waypoints from the instructions. Thanks to Mr Watton thats all in the past. An idiot guide that doesn't go wrong.
Thanks.

Training for Twats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A big big thank you for your contribution. I am now looking fwd to a few quiet nights in with my Zumo learning all I need to Know. When will companies get it? There are people who do not know exactly what a product can do just by looking at the box! BoB:

Back
Top Bottom