Paralever Register - Your PHOTOS please

Hi Mike,

I’ve been enjoying the return to biking, but following a test ride, I’m thinking of selling the R100R (in favour of an RnineT )

You asked me to let you know if this were to happen...
I missed this message to me from 2 plus years ago, I don't suppose you still have it waiting for me?

The wheels are still turning on the R80GS. I am contemplating risking taking her to work this week, but the track to the site is filthy if it rains, and when I say filthy, I will probably come off in the thick goo, slurry and mud! If there is any hint of rain I will take the X Country! Her she is on a fishing trip to the lakes earlier this year.

C.DSCN7103web7103.jpg

The wheels are still turning on the R80GS. I am contemplating risking taking her to work this week, but the track to the site is filthy if it rains, and when I say filthy, I will probably come off in the thick goo, slurry and mud! If there is any hint of rain I will take the X Country! Her she is on a fishing trip to the lakes earlier this year.

View attachment 278460
Thats a great picture

Here's mine. Too many mods to mention :mmmm
98298065-M.jpg
I like the screen. What make is it ?

My '93 R100GSPD. Not as BMW intended. But subtly improved bit by bit over time. The Wedgetail iginition system is my favourite modification. Two very loud airhorns are the most useful. Acewell dash, Trucklite LED headlight, Odyssey battery (in correct sized box), and Denali spots are great. The gearbox is a 1996 model, replaced under warranty at 30k by the BMW dealer after the missing circlip caused the original to fail. It's on about 130k miles. Frame has been powder coated.

F7idKdhXIAA-l1-

My '93 R100GSPD. Not as BMW intended. But subtly improved bit by bit over time. The Wedgetail iginition system is my favourite modification.....
Curious what is included and what it improves on a 1993 Airhead?

Digital replacement of the "bean can", and ignition timing and advance controlled by a chip. Set the static timing, and the program does the rest. Over 130,000 miles I've often had problems with the ignition advance sticking, so that's something I now don't have to worry about. The set up has two sensors and two chips as well, so can switched over if one seems to be a problem. The kit also includes new wiring. The engine map is designed to make starting easier, which seems to work.

OK all sounds like an improvement, pardon my ignorance but what is a bean can?

Called a bean can because it's a metal can. It's the thing beneath the alternator that senses the position of the crank and adjusts the timing advance as the engine speeds up and slows down. In the original set up it used a Hall Sensor and a combination of springs and weights to do that - seriously primitive. If you get the ignition hanging high when shutting off the throttle that can be caused by the mechanism sticking. It can be lubricated, but can just refuse to unstick. The Wedgetail just contains a sensor, and then the ignition timing is controlled by an engine map program in the chip in the engine control unit under the tank. I had been through 3 bean cans over the years, including an Endulast upgrade. None of the them worked well.

Back
Top Bottom