Left hand tank fairing

terayon

Reaction score
Going alone a dual carriage way today had the left hand tank fairing come off the front swing round as it snapped and hit me on the knee. This twisted the tank cover where is says "1200GS". My dealer is paying for it as they couldn't have put it on properly.

What I want to know is how can I stop this from happening again, it was the plastic twist panel holder that came away on the inside of the fairing

terayon said:
What I want to know is how can I stop this from happening again, it was the plastic twist panel holder that came away on the inside of the fairing
Make sure it's fixed on properly and that the fastener is in working order.

It'll only come off if it hasn't been done up correctly! :rolleyes:

Kai

cant seem to find a way of getting cable ties around it. Will have to talk to Wollaston BMW on tuesday, unless someone can post a pic or something

terayon said:
cant seem to find a way of getting cable ties around it. Will have to talk to Wollaston BMW on tuesday, unless someone can post a pic or something

Try a search - there's a thread in this section somewhere with photos and a how to do :thumb
Andres

Cheers found them. Didn't realise it was that popular, local BMW dealer said they had never had it happen to them before

Sounds as though you have an excellent dealer. I had to threaten to sue Coopers Redaing before they paid up for mine. The panel hadn't been touched for five months, and came loose at a relatively low speed.

They quoted a memo from BMW stating that no warranty would be considered post 600 mile service, assuming I presume, if it was loose the excellent BMW technician would see the problem and fix it.

I drilled a small hole in the molding on the inside of the panel where the fastener fits. This has allowed me to thread a cable tie through the panel and round the bracket which support the fastener.

I removed the original BMW fasteners and replaced them with dzus fasteners. The dzus 'nuts' required a little work to let them fit on to the panel.

Rod

Cheers found them. Didn't realise it was that popular, local BMW dealer said they had never had it happen to them before

Any chance you could paste a link here? My left-hand fairing has gone the same thing. Snapped two of the fittings too which is a bit of a pain!
Thanks.

Any chance you could paste a link here? My left-hand fairing has gone the same thing. Snapped two of the fittings too which is a bit of a pain!
Thanks.

Hi. Did you realise this is a 2006 post, and the OP doesn’t appear to have posted anything since 2011?

Back
Top Bottom