I'd be up for helping with another event, I learnt a lot from the last one. My 2p's worth:
- Agree with Duchess about picking another charity, I think it's good to vary it. Bansang is a cause close to us on here, that would get my vote (Go on Fanny, spill the beans.... :nenau )
- Not sure I agree with another round Britain ride, in either direction. I think the "challenge" has to be a bit more, er, challenging! There are also a lot of round/up/down/through Britain rides I've seen as charity fundraisers. Time to cross the Channel?
- We could do something in 2007, but we'd have to start pretty damn soon....

Happy to help in any way needed.

:beerjug:

The air ambulance is a good idea but I found this

The Scottish air ambulance service differs from other air ambulance services because we are fully government funded rather than charity-funded, like most of the English services.

I would be very interested in doing something but it would have to benefit a nationwide charity. Have to have a think about it.
RNLI perhaps

The Paris to London thing is not much of a challenge, especially if you live in the south

I'd be up for helping with another event, I learnt a lot from the last one. My 2p's worth:
- Agree with Duchess about picking another charity, I think it's good to vary it. Bansang is a cause close to us on here, that would get my vote (Go on Fanny, spill the beans.... :nenau )
- Not sure I agree with another round Britain ride, in either direction. I think the "challenge" has to be a bit more, er, challenging! There are also a lot of round/up/down/through Britain rides I've seen as charity fundraisers. Time to cross the Channel?
- We could do something in 2007, but we'd have to start pretty damn soon....

Happy to help in any way needed.

:beerjug:

Hey stranger... good to see you again :thumb

How about we bring in BFPO overseas section ... just toying with ideas now.

What do you think?

How about every country in europe in a long weekend/week whatever, riders staged in different countries so, as in the pwab, the baton dosn't ever stop:nenau

Shep

How about every country in europe in a long weekend/week whatever, riders staged in different countries so, as in the pwab, the baton dosn't ever stop:nenau

Shep

Thats sound very ambitious and pretty expensive.

Not sure how that would work. If you come up with an outline plan let us know Shep.

:)

In another life:eek: I was a member of as group that raised moneys for charitable causes, in the end after lots of late nights about who to raise cash for, the decision was made that the only charities we would give money too, had to take less than 5% in administration costs, that certainly whittles them down a bit:thumb

Shep

:thumb :thumb

Thats sound very ambitious and pretty expensive.

Not sure how that would work. If you come up with an outline plan let us know Shep.

I'm not sure how many Tossers we have here but alot of different countries are represented i was thinking each country sorts out itself, Ireland, northern ireland
england scotland and wales, france, holland, belgium, italy, germany, spain, norway and many others are represented on here time and time again:nenau

It is only a thought, and probably way beyond any organisation skills I have, but its a thought anyway:thumb

Shep

Don't think Tash, Moira and Sillymoo would be up for the same sections again !!Timeline, distance, road type etc
Weather conditions was the only way it was done last time round.
If it had rained it wouldn't have worked.

Don't think Tash, Moira and Sillymoo would be up for the same sections again !!Timeline, distance, road type etc

I agree with that.

:thumb

Thanks Johnny! I agree 100%!! As it was,certain parties in our Region felt "pushed" to get things done on time even if it meant cutting our sections ride.... I have not said this before but the Scottish section would have to be COMPLETELY re thought-out! 9 hours of Region 8's ride was done without a proper break at all.; at night and we cut a whole load out (casuing a HUGE row on the road) (infact because our bit was cut by an anxious leader - the 3000 mile target was not met!).

I am SO proud of all of the Scottish section, Tash especially.......! I asked the original question as I was thinking it might be good to re-think the whole thing again and try once more. BUT BUT BUT.....it was by no means a perfect ride. We raised a huge amount! We ALL did fantastically well and I was completely bowled over by the experience......BUT......whoever plans any new "ride" needs to make sure they have ALOT of advice from local riders; know what the road conditions are like in bad as well as good weather and make sure that people are well supported no matter what.

I will be slated for speaking my mind again (and this is not the half of it) but I was not suggesting that we just get on our bikes and try to "emulate" the last ride. So many things would have to change!! Practically...nothing more! Please do NOT take this personally! Its an opinion of mine and a few others....an opinion I am entitled to...before the barrage starts!!:)

Moo:)

I'd certainly back you up there Moo! Dividing Scotland into 3 different sections, considering the insane roads, was slightly ambitious. I'd not long passed my test, and 11 hrs into the ride, it did become a bit daunting! I had a huge amount of respect and admiration for you and Mo after completing your regions!
Probably a good idea that something is organised for 2008, rather than this year.

Agreed, its need to be planned accordingly.

Best to stay positive and move forward with ideas on how it can be improved which is why I said in an earlier post would it be best if we used this year to plan the UKGSer charity event for 2008.

There's still a a huge amount of things to move forward ... the main infrastructure's in place but each region may need adjusting to suit road conditions etc.

... and Moo you won't be slated for speaking your mind. Its important that information is passed back down the line ... as you say providing its not a personal attack and kept to thoughts typed via experience its fine.

.....oh, and another thing....

Seeing as it looks like we have a nice long run-up for 2008, can we arrange timing that doesn't clash with another GS-related event.

Yeah? :Duchess

:thumb
Agreed, its need to be planned accordingly.

Best to stay positive and move forward with ideas on how it can be improved which is why I said in an earlier post would it be best if we used this year to plan the UKGSer charity event for 2008.

There's still a a huge amount of things to move forward ... the main infrastructure's in place but each region may need adjusting to suit road conditions etc.

... and Moo you won't be slated for speaking your mind. Its important that information is passed back down the line ... as you say providing its not a personal attack and kept to thoughts typed via experience its fine.

Hey Karen,
I agree! The whole process and outcome of last years challenge was new to all the folks involved; whether on the admin or the practical side and as UKGSer move on to do similar things in the future, sorting out the kinks in the works and analysing what could have been done better is the only way of moving forward positively. I would not DREAM of criticising ANYONE in their efforts of last Sept (and before!). WE achieved something that was amazing in every way! Some issues were raised...so when we all look at a challenge for the coming years...this year; next year; we can do even MORE.
Huge respect to the team who set this up.....HUGE! and even more to those who grab it and move forward with something else...whatever that may be! Karen..you grabbed the challenge by the horns and had issues from certain quarters........allowing egos to get the better of them! No one has more admiration for you than I!:thumb

So - the discussion, I suppose, is what can we do, not to emulate but to add to the fantastic stuff that has already been done by so many!!

:bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1 looking forward to hearing more!

I was wondering about a team of a few people taking up the challenge to do the British Isles including Isles and Eire. Relay maybe? or a small team supported by local riders as they go? 2008? I would be thrilled to be involved with that! and the charity??? I agree with you Karen (and others)...perhaps a "bike" related one.

So many possibiliies!:bounce1 Isn't life exciting!!:bounce1

Moo

Let me know if anyone else would like to look at the idea of a perimeter (inc Isles etc) and perhaps we can take it from there!! As the Oxfam saying goes "I'm In"!!:clap

.....oh, and another thing....

Seeing as it looks like we have a nice long run-up for 2008, can we arrange timing that doesn't clash with another GS-related event.

Yeah? :Duchess

(smile) .... shouldnt be a problem ...

Let me know if anyone else would like to look at the idea of a perimeter (inc Isles etc) and perhaps we can take it from there!! As the Oxfam saying goes "I'm In"!!:clap

Definately will ... and maybe cover Ireland too (sorry I just cant resist using this smilie) :aidan

:D

Definately will ... and maybe cover Ireland too (sorry I just cant resist using this smilie) :aidan

:D

yeh -- thats what I meant! BRitish Isles the Isles and Eire and all! Now that WOULD be a challenge and a half!! I love that sign too!!.:aidan .......17th Feb here we come!!

Moo:) ;)

Air ambulance would be a worthy cause but I think it would be better to spend this year off to organise an event for 2008 as Duchess suggested.

Having said that I would be happy to take part in whatever, whenever.

On another point, my mum, bless her, handed me £10 last week, which was a late donation from 2 of her friends for our PWAB in '06. What would be the best thing to do with it, apart from taking it to the rub a dub tonight.

:beer:

On another point, my mum, bless her, handed me £10 last week, which was a late donation from 2 of her friends for our PWAB in '06. What would be the best thing to do with it, apart from taking it to the rub a dub tonight.

:augie

Tony.... are you feeling unloved? Are the powers that be not hearing your plea?? Poor old thing! I sympathise! I empathise with your lot in life.......tell me how you are feeling old bean! Old chap!!

:D :D :D :D :D ;)

Moo

I might nip down the Mitre & get spannered. Last time I was in there I ended up in the field on the corner, asleep.

Back
Top Bottom