Up side of 1250 on tour

You could have rode to Paris, stick the bike on the train, get off at Nice, ferry happy days, food for thought for next time.....:beerjug:

Would you happen to have details of the 'car trains' from Paris to Nice and/or others from e.g. Calais etc? Thanks dude.

Yes Stick, I would agree with you.

But you are not having £7000 worth more fun because of it. So don't kid yourself.

It's still the same bike with a bit more power....

When I upgrade to the new R1250 I'm sure I would never go back to a R1200 as well, but in the meantime you're still doing exactly all the things I can do on my R1200.

But you've just spent another £7k to do it :D

That's why I spent £3000 upgrading my existing R1200... it's still a bloody good bike and doesn't deserve selling just because the new kid is on the block, it isn't that big of a step.

... and if you really need all that power above 100 mph, where it makes the most difference, are you really on the right bike anyways?

In my opinion....

The power is low down not over 100 , we know.
Some have the chance to change and will as the cost is not important or relevant to the upgrade , I would agree that the old bike could be improved with suspension as could the new one , but you cant modify the engine to get the improvements the new power plant offers.
I would also add that the suspension can be upgraded to a fully active system (tractive) as they can build to road bias , so no need to fiddle with settings and worry about the up and coming road conditions as per the manual systems (click click fiddle fiddle )
The benefit of the upgrade would again push the new bike well ahead of the upgraded older bike IMHO of course .Onwards and forward as you say

I agree the Ohlins Pre-load setup is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

Yes the Rebound and Compression is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but again, once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

As I ride Solo 99% of time, and 99% on road only... I don't even have to think about pressing a button. It's setup, 100% to me, to my style, on the roads that I ride. The bike is 100% consistant in ride height, quality suspension that won't fade, or cavitate with heat buildup, or have electronic failure, or dump its oil.

Yes, I agree, if you are on/off touring, offroading big bumps, massive weight fluctutions with pillion etc buy the TT Tractive ESA kit.

But I don't need that stretch lycra bollocks, my suit is now tailor fit.

I agree the Ohlins Pre-load setup is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

Yes the Rebound and Compression is a time consuming pain in the ass.... but again, once it's done and noted... that's it.... done.

As I ride Solo 99% of time, and 99% on road only... I don't even have to think about pressing a button. It's setup, 100% to me, to my style, on the roads that I ride. The bike is 100% consistant in ride height, quality suspension that won't fade, or cavitate with heat buildup, or have electronic failure, or dump its oil.

Yes, I agree, if you are on/off touring, offroading big bumps, massive weight fluctutions with pillion etc buy the TT Tractive ESA kit.

But I don't need that stretch lycra bollocks, my suit is now tailor fit.

I see your point , but having done similar to you in the past , as good as it was it was never as consistant as you say , the TT version can be made to road spec, and will out perform the manual set up all day as it too is set for me not everyone as the standard system is.
Talking to both TT and Tractive the system is not as you say for only off roading and long trips its also for the guy who like roads only and can be made to suit.
I did look at the Ohlins version but decided to take away all that system would be backwards rather than improving the existing with a tailor made setup. The Tractive system works the same as the ohlins in adjustment but with the trickery extra.

That flywheel thingy is a good point. The quick shifter is pointless on a GS.

Compared to many similar bikes, the GS may be described as a tractor engine, and the QS will operate less refined than engines with less internal mass.

Even so, when you learn it's ways and accept it's limitations, it's still a handy feature. During rapid acceleration it works fine, and when riding standing up, the downshifting blipper is a wonderful feature.
Given the low cost of adding the QS, in my opinion it will be silly not to get it as you will be using it more often than expected, even if it may be less refined than on comparable bikes.

Compared to many similar bikes, the GS may be described as a tractor engine, and the QS will operate less refined than engines with less internal mass.

Even so, when you learn it's ways and accept it's limitations, it's still a handy feature. During rapid acceleration it works fine, and when riding standing up, the downshifting blipper is a wonderful feature.
Given the low cost of adding the QS, in my opinion it will be silly not to get it as you will be using it more often than expected, even if it may be less refined than on comparable bikes.

Good points. Again its about expectations and perspective.

My twopence worth FWIW.

If I had a 1200LC I wouldn't be looking to change in a hurry although 1250 is peppier. This is based on my experience with my brother's 2015 GS compared to my new 1250.

I came from a late TC ADV that I've owned for the past 6 years and, predictably, the difference is much more marked.

Loved the slightly agricultural feel from the TC and it served me very well but the new bike is so much better, it really is.

Easier to ride, smoother, without losing the whole twin 'vibe' (IMHO anyway), handles excellently and really does go.

I like the toys and they work, so far:)

To complicate things slightly I'm enjoying the standard GS format much more than the ADV that, IMHO is less rideable and versatile.

Quite why I lugged all that extra weight and extra fuel around for all those years whilst stopping at roughly the same intervals as my riding buddies with tanks half the size I do not know:D

Because of the above high up lard, my old TC also handled like a pig on stilts when loaded up with luggage and pillion at slow speeds.

The new one is so much more balanced in comparison without losing anything and I wouldn't compromise that by going the ADV route again.

My twopence worth FWIW.

If I had a 1200LC I wouldn't be looking to change in a hurry although 1250 is peppier. This is based on my experience with my brother's 2015 GS compared to my new 1250.

I came from a late TC ADV that I've owned for the past 6 years and, predictably, the difference is much more marked.

Just another data point on this. CWs have lent me a 1250GS today while my '15 GSA is in for its 24K service and I've just got back from a decent ride on it. I've got to say the engine/transmission package is vastly different from the older 1200. It's smoother, far more tractable at lower speeds (slow riding in 4th gear at 30mph is so much easier - and just for a lark I stuck it in 5th and it was fine), there's a real difference in dynamic mode and it picks up and accelerates better than the 1200 (altho' this was a bare GS cf my 1200GSA so the GSA is lugging more weight). Engine noise and vibration is much reduced and the exhaust note is very quiet - probably the only real negative. The gearbox is noticeably better than the 1200 and the QS is marginally better but then I've never really had a problem with the QS on the 1200. I didn't really notice any difference in the brakes but I did like the TFT screen - much clearer than having the older dials and small LCD screens

All in all I found the 1250 engine/transmission to be way way better than the '15 1200 and frankly much more fun to ride and if I had the spare ££s I'd change today. However the difference from more recent 1200 models may not be so marked.

Back
Top Bottom