Tyres - my thoughts and

I am about to get a new set of tyres for my 2016 R1200GS. Whilst not an adventure my bike has sproked wheels. Originally I had the Anakee 3 on. Whilst they were durable (I got 9800 miles out of them) the front tyre was very noisy. It got so bad after 1500 miles that I thought there was an issue with the bearings.
I spoke to some other GS riders that had non-adventure LCs with cast wheels. They didn't have the issue of the singing front tyre.
Does this only happen on sproked wheels?

I am about to get a new set of tyres for my 2016 R1200GS. Whilst not an adventure my bike has sproked wheels. Originally I had the Anakee 3 on. Whilst they were durable (I got 9800 miles out of them) the front tyre was very noisy. It got so bad after 1500 miles that I thought there was an issue with the bearings.
I spoke to some other GS riders that had non-adventure LCs with cast wheels. They didn't have the issue of the singing front tyre.
Does this only happen on sproked wheels?

Makes no difference they all do it with Anakee 3’s I have had 3 with cast wheels and 1 with spoked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just over 4000 miles on my Bridgestone A41s. They are holding up well, with loads of life in them and plenty of wet and dry grip. But, the from has developed a real high pitch whine, just like Michelin A3s. Will not be having the same again.

Just over 4000 miles on my Bridgestone A41s. They are holding up well, with loads of life in them and plenty of wet and dry grip. But, the from has developed a real high pitch whine, just like Michelin A3s. Will not be having the same again.

My front A41 did that on the way home from Austria, got a slight ridge on it as well. Rear hardly looks worn. I prefer the A41’s to the Anakee 3’s but I will use both as they are good enough for my riding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How about the new Anakee Adventure 80/20s? They seem to tick a lot of boxes.
Does anyone here have any experience with them? I would like to be able to do some gravel roads. The Anakee 3s were aweful in that respect, too.

Got the A41s and 500 miles on them. Fantastic dry weather grip and not that noisy. Confidence inspiring. We'll see how they hold up.

Pilot Road 5 Trails after just 4k miles.
About 2k just with me, and 2k with pillion and light luggage.
They felt rubbish from 3k miles. I reckon PR3s were the peak of Michelin's development!

Back to PST2s for me
b7585e9406eb6fe507e136668dcd1d6e.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

They felt rubbish from 3k miles. I reckon PR3s were the peak of Michelin's development!

Back to PST2s for me

Thanks for this. This is my concern about the PR5s. They are more grippy and even faster turning than PST2s, but longevity is not their strength. They also lack feel.
PST2s are still my favourite for road use - they do last, have slightly less outright grip, but huge amounts of feel and good rate of turn. Cheaper too.

Back to PST2s for me

I have pr5 and 6,500 in so far. Done a lot of motorway miles on them too and planning a cheeky trip to Scotland this week.
My favourites were Dunlop Roadsmart 3 though as felt very grippy. They lasted about 6,000 MLS if memory serves me right too.

I had the same thing with the road 5s on my tiger sport. They only lasted just over 3000 miles and had several big slides in the wet so won't be having those again. I had a few sets of pr4s before that and rated them alot better. I think i'm going to try conti trail 3s next.

I have been using PST2s, 2 sets now, as said above they have great feel and good mileage. I think they are one of the best alround tyres out there at the moment. the PR5 has more grip right on the edge but you have to be pushing real hard to get there, they wear quick if you are pushing hard.
Having said that I have a set Conti TA3s waiting in the garage because the 2s were very good and I like trying different tyres.

Back to PST2s for me

Chocolate tyres , great grip but ……..try 1500 miles over 5 days they were gone at 1250 miles , pits as a great tyre but in Spain where they were used it just abused them .At the depot day 5.jpg

Attachments

• Day 5.jpg
    Day 5.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 409
I've just got a 1250 Rallye with wire wheels and it came with the new Michelin Adventures. I've only done 350 miles so very early days, but in the dry they seem fine; the bike steers well and grip seems OK although I've not been pushing very hard yet. I am not sure about wet weather though as the tread is very "blocky" and not very deep; it does not look as if it would clear water very effectively. I don't think I would choose them for a purely road use bike but I'll see how they go with more miles.

my bike came wipe the avon 54 tyres on and i,m very pleasantly surprised at how good they are

Running the stock (on a 1250) A41's
They seem pretty good, although when chasing 2 friends on 1000cc sportsbikes i was getting a fair amount of TC light flashing.

Keen to try the new Angel GT 2's next. Should be an improved Roadtec 01 in theory.

I’ve got some PST2 on my KTM 1290 SA-T, that I’ve recently bought - it only has 3200 miles on it but the tyres are showing some very odd wear patterns.

The rear has loads of tread but is very squared off. The front has loads of tread in the centre, but nearly down to the TWI on about 1/3rd out from the centre, but only on the rh side. Looks and feels very odd.

The only thing I can think is it’s been run at an odd pressure, or the tyres were changed before I bought it.

New ones coming though ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got some PST2 on my KTM 1290 SA-T, that I’ve recently bought - it only has 3200 miles on it but the tyres are showing some very odd wear patterns.

The rear has loads of tread but is very squared off. The front has loads of tread in the centre, but nearly down to the TWI on about 1/3rd out from the centre, but only on the rh side. Looks and feels very odd.

The only thing I can think is it’s been run at an odd pressure, or the tyres were changed before I bought it.

New ones coming though ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Classic heavyweight straight line speed merchant tyre wear. RH 1/3 front is front tyre wear due to crown on road.

Back
Top Bottom