1250 GS suspension query

BDG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.

Advice? Should have got a Ducati. :p :D

Advice? Should have got a Ducati. :p :D

I've had 6, been as far as Morocco on the first 1000 Multistrada, done over 20,000 miles each on a 996SPS, 996R and the first 1200 Multistrada. So I fancied something different after multiple KTM's, Now in my 60's bought a pipe and slippers so thought I'd finally take the plunge. I'm having sleepless nights :)

You shouldn't need to put a bigger spring on unless you regularly ride with a pillion plus loads of kit. I'm heavier than you (fat bastard/ real man..) and my 1250 GSA rides just fine....

You shouldn't need to put a bigger spring on unless you regularly ride with a pillion plus loads of kit. I'm heavier than you (fat bastard/ real man..) and my 1250 GSA rides just fine....

Thank you

I've had 6, been as far as Morocco on the first 1000 Multistrada, done over 20,000 miles each on a 996SPS, 996R and the first 1200 Multistrada. So I fancied something different after multiple KTM's, Now in my 60's bought a pipe and slippers so thought I'd finally take the plunge. I'm having sleepless nights :)

Beware the pipe and slippers , Ducatti man myself , and also Ktm , but the GS is just better at this time .
The bike rewards so much , all day , all situations .
Would I go back to the sports bike , fast imposter, no . The Gs is the best and bike on bike ( in rite hands ) better .

Beware the pipe and slippers , Ducatti man myself , and also Ktm , but the GS is just better at this time .
The bike rewards so much , all day , all situations .
Would I go back to the sports bike , fast imposter, no . The Gs is the best and bike on bike ( in rite hands ) better .

That’s what I’m hoping for and my comments are rather tongue in cheek, It’s certainly different but first impressions of ownership rather than a test ride are good. I’m open minded

If you think that's a tractor, I'm guessing you've never ridden an 1100 or an 1150.... :D

Only in the dim distant past and they weren’t for me at that time

I ride two-up all the time and the suspension is perfect in road mode. It’s stiff enough to avoid wallowing, but supple enough not to jar on bumpy backroads, despite carrying around 26 stones on the back :thumby:

I ride two-up all the time and the suspension is perfect in road mode. It’s stiff enough to avoid wallowing, but supple enough not to jar on bumpy backroads, despite carrying around 26 stones on the back :thumby:

Is that on A 1250 Pal ? I find on my gs1250a with passenger its a bit soft but i always have suspension on auto.At some point this year i will be changing it for the Touratech set up.

That’s some weight gain, Sven! What happened to the healthy lifestyle? :p

That’s some weight gain, Sven! What happened to the healthy lifestyle? :p

I’ve never been much under 14 stone and I’m always around 14.5-15 stones nowadays, although most people don’t believe I’m that heavy (BMI 30-32). I guess I’m big boned I used to weigh 18.5 stones a few years back, so I’m relatively happy with my weight for a 51 year old ale cart.

826cdb85572b229f670973b2270a6cd9.jpg

Is that on A 1250 Pal ? I find on my gs1250a with passenger its a bit soft but i always have suspension on auto.At some point this year i will be changing it for the Touratech set up.

Yes, it’s a 1250 GS low-chassis. Maybe the slightly shorter travel suspension makes a difference?

I'm new to these GS things having just got a 1250GS last week after it being on hold due to lockdown.

As I'm a 17 st without riding kit "real man"/"fat bastard"(delete as applicable) I usually put stronger springs on my bikes to get the sag right. The dealer told me that's not necessary with ESA as it auto adjusts to your weight. OK I understand the principle but to me you still need the correct base weight/strength spring before adjusting preload to suit. As for setting sag on a GS, hmmm, I've no idea where to start.

Comments and advice welcome please.

Stick it on auto and it will be fine for a 17 stoner, lots of guys like me ride two-up and you won’t find many two-ups running less than 17 stone. If you find the ride a little bouncy run it in dynamic on the suspension mode. You can change it on the fly in two seconds, and see which you prefer....simples.

Yes, it’s a 1250 GS low-chassis. Maybe the slightly shorter travel suspension makes a difference?

Yes the shorter travel suspension must make a difference.Think the touratech suspension will sort that for me after speaking to Stick and how they set it up.

Stick it on auto and it will be fine for a 17 stoner, lots of guys like me ride two-up and you won’t find many two-ups running less than 17 stone. If you find the ride a little bouncy run it in dynamic on the suspension mode. You can change it on the fly in two seconds, and see which you prefer....simples.

That’s exactly what I’ve done thanks and it’s better. Having run dirt bikes for years I always set the suspension sag to suit and the same on road bikes. Two of my last bikes have been notorious for being softly sprung on the rear, Africa Twin and Tenere 700 and both benefited greatly from being re sprung for my weight and the sag set correctly.

Back
Top Bottom