Travelling 2 Up With Camping Kit - R1250 GSA

Backpackers advice ... make sure you can get to the tent without unpacking anything else, it might just be pissing down!
Good tip that. Or, don’t be in a rush to get your tent up if it’s raining. Go somewhere and sit it out. It’s a lot more pleasant.

We generally rock up to a campsite and get chairs and stove out and have a brew and or a beer to relax and chill for half an hour or so. Then put the tent up. Irritability tolerances are a lot higher this way.

I can't get all the stuff I need for 2 weeks in 2 x panniers and a huge top box on my GSA. And that's when I'm on my own and staying in hotels.

I can't get all the stuff I need for 2 weeks in 2 x panniers and a huge top box on my GSA. And that's when I'm on my own and staying in hotels.

If staying in hotels a 10/15 ltr tank bag does it.
I always carry a mesh bag that I can tie on the bike in case there is some washing (undies) needs drying.
If you shit yer undies, buy a new pair.

That used to be me (or me and the Mrs). We then looked at our kit when we got home and at what we hadn't worn...and the next time we cut the packing down a bit (knowing that pretty much anywhere we go, if we really need a new top or pants, we can go and buy them) It is now so much easier to just take one pannier worth of clothes and bit of persil.....

Unfortunately my wife won't travel on the bike so there's no point in me bringing Persil and the like.

I wonder sometimes how I managed 42 years ago, touring two up for three weeks around the French and Italian alps. CX500 with a top box and two WW2 ex army rucksacks slung over the seat with camping gear.

Remember, the more crap you take, the longer it takes to set up camp and like wise to decamp.

cd2abb9ae8a25c0ece3e91060f48c220.jpg

Unfortunately my wife won't travel on the bike so there's no point in me bringing Persil and the like.

Fortunately my wife won’t travel on the bike so I can take what I want :)

ps - no camping, only hotels, 2 pannier bags total 12 kg max plus some junk in top box. Always leaving room for 2 cans of beer from the fridge in the filling station when I top up with fuel before parking for the night

Still hauling crap on the old warhorse :thumb2 last week Lake District

Attachments

• 15F8B8B7-5780-4E98-82D7-F63F0AB040A4.jpg
    15F8B8B7-5780-4E98-82D7-F63F0AB040A4.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 205
I wonder sometimes how I managed 42 years ago, touring two up for three weeks around the French and Italian alps. CX500 with a top box and two WW2 ex army rucksacks slung over the seat with camping gear.

Indeed. 37 years ago, TWO up in the south of France on the way to Italy on a 650cc... even used a third pannier strapped onto the luggage rack. :D

Attachments

• me camp.jpg
    me camp.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 197
I believe that nowadays it's fashionable to have one's own velocopede inside a tent as well.

2 up camping in mull last weekend.

Tent is on top of one panier in a lomo bag and a pair of chairs is in another
Cooking stuff is in the 2 lomo bar bags which are my new favorite thing.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 199
Indeed. 37 years ago, TWO up in the south of France on the way to Italy on a 650cc... even used a third pannier strapped onto the luggage rack. :D

36 years ago, on a Vespa 100, 3.1 bhp, 3 gears, all around the country including Scotland

Room for a girlfriend, tent, gonkbags and a spare wheel :thumb2

Attachments

• 3688190B-E1BF-405B-9535-83894032B691.jpeg
    3688190B-E1BF-405B-9535-83894032B691.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 190

Back
Top Bottom