Up side of 1250 on tour

I do wonder if people just aren't using them properly?

That’s been discussed here since GSAP was launched. Some bods got very very upset when that was mentioned before. :comfort

But other quickshifters don’t need an instructional video so why does this ridiculous GSGSAPA or whatever it’s called need one !

It’s German humour

I haven’t ridden one but all this much faster than the 1200 business puzzles me as the figures don’t suggest it’s that much different?

Happy with my 2018 1200 at the moment so in no rush to change, maybe in 2-3 years time

Go take a test ride , figures really wont give a true picture as its much better , 3 of us have changed and would not go back to the old bike , so look at it that way round rather than would you upgrade , ie would we down grade now , NO

But other quickshifters don’t need an instructional video so why does this ridiculous GSGSAPA or whatever it’s called need one !

Because other quickshitters (spelling is correct) are usually on Sports Bikes, and the fookers are mad, so know exactly what it is, and how to use them.

But some bright spark decided to fit them to a pair of slippers..... so Grandad now has access to a premium race product and doesn't have a feckin clue.

Probably trying to quickshift gears at 900 rpm on a partly opened throttle and wonders why it isn't as smooth as his wanking hand?

In my opinion....

That’s been discussed here since GSAP was launched. Some bods got very very upset when that was mentioned before. :comfort

You just have to be sensitive in how to mention it to people.. that's the key :beerjug:

Because other quickshitters (spelling is correct) are usually on Sports Bikes, and the fookers are mad, so know exactly what it is, and how to use them.

But some bright spark decided to fit them to a pair of slippers..... so Grandad now has access to a premium race product and doesn't have a feckin clue.

Probably trying to quickshift gears at 900 rpm and wonders why it isn't as smooth as his wanking hand?

In my opinion....

That has to be part of the story, for sure, but also the tractor engines are relatively low revving and have much heavier flywheels compared to an IL4 or modern V twin so rev drops as the QS kills the ignition are not as kind to a QS...................fecking things seem pointless on a GS anyway, it's marketing over substance.

Andres

Probably trying to quickshift gears at 900 rpm on a partly opened throttle and wonders why it isn't as smooth as his wanking hand?

In my opinion....

Well the quickshitter on my 790R is ultra smooth up and down the box. As it is on my H2 SX.

That has to be part of the story, for sure but also the tractor engines are relatively low revving and have much heavier flywheels compared to an IL4 or modern V twin so rev drops as the QS kills the ignition are not as kind to a QS...................fecking things seem pointless on a GS anyway, it's marketing over substance.

Andres

The GSA is not a race bike for sure.

But I do appreciate the quickshifter on the GSA as it adds to a really nice flow when your out riding in the lanes. I think it's excellent.

Really excellent.

I’ve now owned 4 BMW Tractors with quickshifters and they all have been inconsistent in performance. The dealer says ‘they need setting up Sir’ .

My S10000000XR shifter seemed OK as long as it was at high revs going up the box, but perfect changing down.

My 1250 bucks the bike on up changes at high revs. Down-changes seem slow and sometimes do not rev match.

I wonder if expectations are the issue as clutch-less rev matched/closed throttle changes going up are smoother as are clutch in , blip throttle, down changes compared to the quick shifter.

All my mates with RT’s love the quick-shifter.....

Whatever, it’s clear that there is enough commentary that talks to disappointment (other than from riding gods and perfect bikes) that the technology and/or expectations mismatch.

That has to be part of the story, for sure, but also the tractor engines are relatively low revving and have much heavier flywheels compared to an IL4 or modern V twin so rev drops as the QS kills the ignition are not as kind to a QS...................fecking things seem pointless on a GS anyway, it's marketing over substance.

Andres

That flywheel thingy is a good point. The quick shifter is pointless on a GS.

Go take a test ride , figures really wont give a true picture as its much better , 3 of us have changed and would not go back to the old bike , so look at it that way round rather than would you upgrade , ie would we down grade now , NO

Yes Stick, I would agree with you.

But you are not having £7000 worth more fun because of it. So don't kid yourself.

It's still the same bike with a bit more power....

When I upgrade to the new R1250 I'm sure I would never go back to a R1200 as well, but in the meantime you're still doing exactly all the things I can do on my R1200.

But you've just spent another £7k to do it :D

That's why I spent £3000 upgrading my existing R1200... it's still a bloody good bike and doesn't deserve selling just because the new kid is on the block, it isn't that big of a step.

... and if you really need all that power above 100 mph, where it makes the most difference, are you really on the right bike anyways?

In my opinion....

I think my issue isn't with the new R1250

I think my issue is the idea of throwing BMW another £7000 for what I see as pretty much the same bike, with same quality piss poor parts :D

I'd rather throw the money at Ohlins, Brembo, Hyperpro, Wunderlich and build my own machine hybrid on an already good platform :D

Carry on....

I have never had an issue with Gear Shift Assist on my 2014 RT, thought it was a bit clunky and never used it until after 2nd. But it worked well. Now on my 1250 RT it is vastly improved and again it works really well. Not sure what the difficulty is with it, on the throttle to shift up, off to shift down, simples :)

warlord could be onto something here,Probably trying to quickshift gears at 900 rpm on a partly opened throttle and wonders why it isn't as smooth as his wanking hand?:thumb

It's still the same bike with a bit more power....

... and if you really need all that power above 100 mph, where it makes the most difference, are you really on the right bike anyways?

In my opinion....

Rather the opposite, you won't notice the few more horses up top, where the 1250 really shines is sub 6000rpm. From 2000rpm the 1250 just goes, no waiting for it to get into its stride, By 5000rpm the 1250 is making more torque ( 12ftlb I think) than the 1200 does at its peak. You don't need the extra up top in real life riding, if you do lots of two up touring the extra grunt will be a big bonus and may well be worth the extra money.
Having said that I think the 1250 has lost some of its character, the engine is almost too smooth, more like an electric motor.
I will hang onto my 1200 and like Warlord do a few things to it, a good handling bike gives confidence and will make you quicker than more power does.

Rather the opposite, you won't notice the few more horses up top, where the 1250 really shines is sub 6000rpm. From 2000rpm the 1250 just goes, no waiting for it to get into its stride, By 5000rpm the 1250 is making more torque ( 12ftlb I think) than the 1200 does at its peak. You don't need the extra up top in real life riding, if you do lots of two up touring the extra grunt will be a big bonus and may well be worth the extra money.
Having said that I think the 1250 has lost some of its character, the engine is almost too smooth, more like an electric motor.
I will hang onto my 1200 and like Warlord do a few things to it, a good handling bike gives confidence and will make you quicker than more power does.

I agree that the R1250 torque mid-range would be very beneficial to touring with heavy luggage and/or pillion.... and overtaking at speed.

That is definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom